2015 rules published and Director's cut

Al F.

• Members

A couple of days late unfortunately but the CMC rules for 2015 are published on the NASA main web site. Thank you very much to all racers who participated in the process by voicing your opinion either here or directly to your regional directors. Thank you also to the regional directors for taking the time to listen to your drivers, the other directors, and drive towards decisions.

As I've made a habit of, I'm going to spend a little time explaining each of the changes. My goal is not to convince you the decision is "correct" or "right" as there is no such thing, but rather to help shed light on why the decisions went one way or the other.

RCR1 Allowance to reprogram the PCM to remove vats, pats, EGR, and other such nonnecessary functions. This is purely a convenience item. Once upon a time it was very difficult and expensive to tune PCMs. Now it is common and easy. It is much more convenient to remove these via the PCM than via hardware and suffer a constant check engine light. As a matter of fact, not needing external components like pats will make it easier for us to swap PCMs to validate legality and brings us one step closer to worrying less about the hardware and more about the area under the curve.

RCR2 Allowing LS motors in 3rd gens. Yes this is a combination that was never offered from the OEM. We're past that. This is an easy swap and enables folks an option that includes the very plentyful and dirt cheap 5.3L truck long block. I think this is the kind of option that will make CMC attractive for a long time.

RCR3 Allow aftermarket plenum and throttle body on the 4.6 Ford, not approved. This looks like a potential option to boost a slightly low Ford to the numbers but we just didnt have enough information to allow it just now. We have some basic questions and some not so basic issues to investigate. More to come on this in the future I'm sure.

RCR4 Allow Ford cars to use aftermarket upper control arms. The bottom line is they dont make these any more and we already allow aftermarket bushings on either side. This is a simple straight piece of metal, no advantage to be gained or lost as lost as the length is the same.

RCR5 Require carbed cars to run an RPM limiter, not approved. Again, an interesting idea but one that needs more thought and consideration before requiring all carb car drivers to spend money and have an additional potential failure point.

Other than those we also made an allowance for aftermarket clutch actuation hardware (which everyone has used since the beginning of time but nobody has ever pointed out was not technically allowed...oops).

Thats it...short and sweet

Are the RCR's that don't say "not approved" approved?

Here is the link to the 2015 rules until its posted on the National CMC website:

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/326/CMC_2015_V1.pdf

Who or whoms car(s) will grace the cover of the 2015 rules?

It would also be nice to have the red "changes" version (compared to last year) too.

Thank you very much to all racers who participated in the process by voicing your opinion either here or directly to your regional directors. Thank you also to the regional directors for taking the time to listen to your drivers, the other directors, and drive towards decisions.

Thanks to everyone that helps keep the circus in town and the animals in check.

Don't agree with all the changes but don't want to race anywhere else.

Love the rule changes!

Changes that make it easier and cheaper to run CMC are the best way to draw in more racers.

An LS1 in a 3rd gen is an easy swap and well worth the effort.

Allowing to get rid of problematic and needless PCM programs will make things substantially easier.

Great job guys.

• Members

Umm, yeah sorry for my ppor grammar. The RCRs that do not say "not approved" were approved.

Gotta love apologizing for bad grammar and immediately following with a double negative

I submitted a redline version to NASA which usually gets posted on the pony car web site. I'll see that this happens. Also, there is no national champion this year, so no national champion photo. I would've liked to have an east and west, but since there is only an east I figured nothing was better than something that looked half done.

thats utter bs... No offense. You should put Derek on the cover and be done. I know I'm new and don't really have the history with the series that everyone else does but I think that the absence of a champion in the cover is a horrific idea. I can't tell you how many times I got excited this year (as I was working to my license) when I saw the Rulebook with the champion on the cover. How many times I said and/or hoped that one day I would be the one on the cover, or how many times the rule book on my desk at work (in the shop at a dealership) drew the eye & interest of techs and people walking by BECAUSE THE PHOTO of the champion on the front... And have had people ask about and consider NASA and eventually CMC. And LASTLY... Like I said I hope one day to be good enough to win the championship and be on the cover, that takes major hard work, skill, and sacrifice... I give mad props to Derek... He's an awesome guy.. And has been very helpful to me as a rookie.. And welcomed me into the CMC GL/MW family, and I think it's absolute horse s**t that he's not on the cover after his accomplishment of winning nats just because no one showed at west coast.

No offense just my thoughts... As a new rookie... Hope I don't get banned... If I do for speaking my thoughts on my first post oh well! It's been real

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Now that they're signed, I think I found a flaw. GM's L31 heads came both as 062 and 906. The 062 was used in the light duty engines, and the 906 generally came in the 4 bolt main engines found in 8 lug trucks. Some claim the 906 doesn't flow as well as the 062, but that notion has since been widely discarded and both are considered equivalent. As far as I know, there is no such thing as an 060 L31 head.

7.13 GM Spec Carbureted Engine Option

Any of the following unmodified aftermarket components (and only these components) may be substituted

on a CMC legal GM V8 long block to create a carbed, spec engine:

5.0 liter (305ci)

1. Holley carburetor 600cfm-4bbl #4776

2. Edelbrock Performer intake manifold #2101, #2104, #2116, #7116, #7516

3. Edelbrock Performer Cam kit #2102 or Comp Cams #12-238-2

4. GM L31 #12558060 or L30 #12552520/12558059 heads

5. GM OEM H.E.I. distributor (non-computer controlled)

5.7 liter (350ci)

1. Holley carburetor 600cfm-4bbl #4776

2. Edelbrock Performer intake manifold #2101, #2104, #2116, #7116, #7516

3. GM Camshaft #24502476

4. GM L31 #12558060 or L30 #12552520/12558059 heads

5. GM OEM H.E.I. distributor (non-computer controlled)

• Members

Well I'll be damned. Kinda rules out junkyard heads though, doesn't it? That must be the latest, greatest casting because it looks like it comes on the crates now too.

Are we getting confused over part numbers and casting numbers?

The 12558060 is a part number for the Head assembly. Studs valves springs etc. The casting numbers 906 and 062 you refer to are the last three digits of the casting part numbers and is just a raw casting number. A 906 casting number may be part of the 12558060 head asssembly. Same for the 062.

• Members

Yes I was. Seems it'd be better though to include casting numbers, or mention what they came from for the uninitiated because that part number is nowhere to be found on an otherwise not cracked legal junkyard head.

• Members

Yes I was. Seems it'd be better though to include casting numbers, or mention what they came from for the uninitiated because that part number is nowhere to be found on an otherwise not cracked legal junkyard head.