Texas TWS Spring Fling

Al F.

• Members

The Texas region ran for potentially the last time at Texas World Speedway this past weekend. Stories have been circulating for years that TWS was shutting down, and this time everyone believes it! Heavy rains friday made for a green track surface and muddy mess everywhere else as the paddock filled up with over 400 racing and DE participants. It was excellent to see some friends that hadnt been out to race in some time like Gary Hood with his third gen Firebird, Rob Liebbe with a beautiful brand new SN95, Kevin Jander with a not so beautiful but very fast SN95, and Wade Zimmer with an ever popular Fox.

21 CMC cars took the green flag for the first race Saturday, all following Aaron McSpadden who would go on to win from the pole. Craig McCormick and Dan Allford completed the podium.

The second race Saturday is a famous inverted start which always makes for extremely close racing as every driver fights to pass the slower cars in front while keeping the faster cars behind! Tyler Gardner maneuvered his Fox to the win followed by Kevin Jander and David Francis. Glenn Landrum launched his car over an access road after sliding off the track resulting ina bent K member, wheel, and control arm. His 30' of air time certainly qualifies him for this year's Golden Helmet award.

Saturday night was full of food and drink until the early morning as drivers told lies about how fast they are. Of course this is also a good time for some maintenance and inspections to make sure cars are ready to go the next day.

Sunday's first race saw more frantic speeds with McSpadden and Allford both dipping into the 1:56s on their way to their 1 and 2 finish. Tyler Gardner just edged out Craig McCormick for the last podium spot.

The last race of the weekend and potentially last race ever for CMC at TWS was another inverted start with an ensuing four wide entry into the first turn as the cars dove down off of the high banked straight onto the infield. Unfortunately the group only got three green flag laps as the double yellow came out due to some severe debris on that banked straigh; the entire front air dam assembly from an AI car somehow came apart and spread steel and aluminum everywhere. Bryan Leinart took the checker first for this historic last race followed by Jay Jordan and Michael Mosty.

Many thanks to all of the NASA staff and officials for their efforts to make this event run smoothly and to all of our CMC family for making it so much fun.

Glenn Landrum launched his car over an access road after sliding off the track resulting ina bent K member, wheel, and control arm. His 30' of air time certainly qualifies him for this year's Golden Helmet award.
This year's? Maybe all time great, and worthy of retiring the current trophy with him???

Oh, and a chunk of concrete was stuck on the k-member.

Yes, there is some video of it; once I have mine cut and zoomed (think Zapruder film) I will post it up.

Good to see the name of the Orange Is Fast! driver in the writeup.

• Members
Glenn Landrum launched his car over an access road after sliding off the track resulting ina bent K member, wheel, and control arm. His 30' of air time certainly qualifies him for this year's Golden Helmet award.
This year's? Maybe all time great, and worthy of retiring the current trophy with him???

Oh, and a chunk of concrete was stuck on the k-member.

Yes, there is some video of it; once I have mine cut and zoomed (think Zapruder film) I will post it up.

The gauntlet has been thrown, it's not too late for someone to one up him! Hallett is right around the corner, maybe somebody will actually put in a drive thru.

Nice editing Dave. I don't think I deserved the helmet last year so I'll go ahead and give it to him at Hallett. Nice to have video entry's into the awards process.

Oh-and I may have just won the last CMC race ever at TWS-what luck.