16 rims

dbrad

I have a set of 16 x 9 4 lug rims on my foxbody CMC car (and 2 more rims in the garage). I have taken the time to read many posts on this forum and realize I am screwed when it comes to Toyos and will one day need to convert to 17's. I'll go to 17's and Toyo's once I get my comp. license.

I am looking to pick up 2 more rims and put a set of high performance radials so I have a set of 4 to drive in the rain during the HPDE or track events.

Sorry for the long background so here's my issue, I cannot find used 16 x 9's and was thinking of going with a 16 X 8. The tires I have are 255's. Again this is only for spare tires to be used if I get caught at rain when running in HPDE. If the 16 X 8's are workable for 255's figured I'd put the 16 X9's in front since those would be under more duress and the 16 X 8's in the back.

As always your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Darren

8 in wheels would work fine for rains but I'd still run a square set of equal wheels. I run 17's but have a set of 16 x 8's I wanted to use for rain wheels but they wouldn't fit over my calipers. If you ran 16 in 5 lug I have a set of wheels I'd sell CHEAP!

16x8 was previously the standard wheel for CMC, with 255/50/16 tires. Not sure if there are many still out there as most switched to the 17x9's a few years ago.

When you have the time / money I would recommend doing the 5-lug conversion so you can move to the 17's. The 17's are much more available and depending on what part of the country you are in, finding take-off tires should be much easier.

Not much luck so far finding 16 x 9's. Rather than waste time, energy and expense, will just hold off on second set and work towards the 5 lug conversion and move to 17's. I really want to get the car sorted out so I can go into the 2016 and focus on driving rather than major work on the car.

Thanks for the advice.

Are you planning on installing SN95 suspension pieces (front) and SN95 rear axle (I think) along with spacers to help take advantage of pushing the track width near the allowable limits? We did that a few years ago and I can tell you it (pushing the track width to the limits) made a difference in driving the car faster and harder and thus lower lap times.

We did the 5 lug disc brake conversion several years ago as well. Now running 17x9.5 wheels.