Top Posters In This Topic

• BADVENM

• t500hps

• Spencer

• MHISSTC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members
Are there any CMC videos of the Glen? I'm striking out on Youtube and Vimeo.

Only one I've found

Try this channel.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the Nasa East Coast Championship at Watkins Glen.....

Less than 10 days to go until the event. Below are some links and info for the event. I hope everyone has a great time and look forward to seeing you all next week. Thanks, Al Watson.

Thurs: Practice and Racer meeting 6pm in garages.

Fri: Practice, qualifying, the first qualifying race and Nasa Social Fri eve.

Sat: Qualifying race number 2 and the Pony car BBQ 7-9pm sat eve.

Sun: The main event, Championship races...

Officials: Al Watson, AJ Hartman, Bob Denton and Pat Wehmeyer.

Pony Car BBQ hosted by: Al Watson, Jack Patman and AJ Hartman. (extra chairs would be great if you got them)

event registration: https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2377

Event page: http://nasachampionships.com/east-event/

Schedule: http://nasachampionships.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/East_2016_Schedule_1.6.pdf

Entry list https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2377/entry_list?direction=asc&sort=class

Welcome letter http://nasachampionships.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/East16WelcomeLetter.pdf

Facility/gate map: http://nasachampionships.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/WGImap.pdf

Paddock area map: http://nasachampionships.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/wgi-paddock-map-v1.jpg

Paddock with power map: http://nasachampionships.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/wgi-paddock-with-power.jpg

Results: live on Race Hero (if you don't have the app yet, visit http://racehero.io/ ) and http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Championships/

Sorry to announce that Team Incidental Contact has cancelled our trip to the Eastern States Championships at Watkins Glen this year as I will be attending my Grandmother's funeral services on Thursday instead. Someone else will have to bring a desert to the BBQ. Also, NASA's "no exceptions" policy on not refunding registration fees after September 5th totally sucks ass.

Sorry to announce that Team Incidental Contact has cancelled our trip to the Eastern States Championships at Watkins Glen this year as I will be attending my Grandmother's funeral services on Thursday instead. Someone else will have to bring a desert to the BBQ. Also, NASA's "no exceptions" policy on not refunding registration fees after September 5th totally sucks ass.

My sympathies go out to you and your family. You will be missed at WGI.

Did you try calling and asking NASA for refund for extenuating circumstances?

I sent the event director an e-mail on Sunday (when Scotts grandmother passed away) explaining our situation. I was given a business like reply that the cutoff date for refunds was September 5th and I was 13 days past that. So we lost $1100.

There would have still been enough cars to have a CMC championship race so I don't know what the big deal is.

For me personally that was the last straw for EVER attending a national championship event.

THAT SUCKS!!!! Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Don't know if NASA is reading this but I once had to cancel 11 tickets to a spectator event because of a death in the family the day before the event. A couple days later I contacted someone who transferred me "up the ladder". A supervisor was more than willing to refund the tickets if we supplied a death certificate......maybe you can make the request again INCLUDING that piece of paper as proof you didn't just change your mind.

Thanks all for the sympathies.

I watched the race online. I hope it was more exciting to drive WGI over a number of days than it was to watch the final race. I was somewhat disappointed to see the race time cut short by 33%, the numerous yellow flag laps, the online coverage being stuck for long periods of time on camera views that showed absolutely ZERO on-track activity, and the podium ceremonies with no audio.

Unless NASA comes up with a national event at a "bucket list" track within a one day drive of the central U.S., along with a refund/cancellation policy that is more closely aligned with those of the individual NASA Regions, it's going to be nearly impossible to justify the effort and expense to attend another national Championship event. In the grand scheme of things, punching that bucket-list track card may be better accomplished by attending a corresponding regional event.

Still wish I had been able to attend.

Sorry for your loss Scott, and sorry you had to miss the event.

We will try to get some better video up soon. I was just there as a spectator and crew. Even as a spectator I had a great time. Even though CMC was only 6 cars we had some very close racing and times were getting closer every session. Since we had so few cars we got stuck in this land of misfit toys of a group and had to deal with many wrecks and a couple hondas who couldn't keep their engines together. So many sessions were cut short do to a blow up or a crash which made things frustrating. All in all CMC put on a great show and everyone had a good time and all cars came home in one piece. Todd's car was the only one to have some significant damage from the weekend, but it could have been much worse considering his broken axle. In the championship race he broke an axle and as a car was passing on the right they touched.

I should get some in car video up some time this week. Maybe some other people will get their's up as well.

Bryan

Do you know what items were teched during the 3 day event? What part of Todds axle broke?

Prior to this event I saw that the CMC lap record was something like 2:17.9 I think. You guys crushed

it with something in the 2:13's or low 2:14s and were as fast as some of the Spec Iron cars. Very impressive!

Congratulations to Bob Denton, winner of the 2016 CMC NATIONAL Championship (I say National because he beat everybody that raced the Western states Championship too!). As for SI, using lap times alone, Bob and I would have finished 2nd and 3rd in that class during the final race. Not surprising to me because most of those cars come race at VIR (my home track) once a year and I usually out run all but Robert Miller.

Bob's fastest lap was a 2:13.3 while I ran a 2:13.5 during the weekend.

Tech'd were car weights (each day), wheel weights, ground height, and dynos (sat/sun).

Russ Carter

CMC #720

Instead of typing a long synopsis of the weekend I'm instead copying the message I sent out on our local Mid-Atlantic message group:

MAN THAT WAS FUN!!!!

As much as I want to bust Terry's balls, I really needed his help when my car blew over on a voluntarily dyno check. It was same guy MA normally uses but that 55 degree DRY, DRY air put me a little over. Well that was after we got it to stop giving me 20 to 40 point swings in results like we see so often at our races. Also had a stutter that took replacing coil packs, plugs, and wires to get rid of then a timing adjustment to knock a few ponies out of it to make sure we were legal. Those that paddock with me know that my mechanical knowledge requires me to listen to 812 stories from Terry since I'm not capable of diagnosing problems with the car myself (Sorry Terry, couldn't help myself).

So the green flag would raise unfurled and come back down immediately like they were waving a yellow. Yes, I was slow on that start but managed even worse later! I think Marc is wrong about 4 cars per day. I counted 11 brought into the staging area on Saturday alone (which was the worst day). Those cars that were towed in......nearly everyone of them hit a guard rail that needs to be replaced and I'm not sure W/G will even go green til they paint the damn thing.

Thursday practice goes well with the exception of our sessions repeatedly getting delayed/cut short due to oiling the track, etc. I was there last month and Shawn is seeing it for the first time. We're getting faster and feeling out the crew of 4 from Great Lakes region who are doing the same. Friday comes and and I qualify 2nd. I am embarrassed at the start but stick 1-3 car lengths behind Bob Denton for several laps.....we are FLYING! About lap 5 the overall race leader gets between us and double yellows fly. Bob motors on around while the pace car leaves us 7/8 a lap behind him. Poetic justice is served when the Saturday race is gridded by Friday lap times putting Shawn and I on the front row for that race!!!! (and I set the track record!!!!)

For the Saturday race Bob gets out front and I spend another 25 of the scheduled 40 min on his rear bumper. Man that guy simply does not make mistakes and I can't get around him! Red flag ends the race early this time with Bob, Russ, and Shawn in the top 3. This is also the starting order for the final race. My consolation prize on Saturday is running .5 seconds faster than anyone and another track record of a 2:13.5.....then getting dyno'd and showing 243-245 HP after dialing it in the night before at 260?????

Our race starts with PTB-PTE rolling starts, and 4 standing starts for H1, H2, SI, CMC. As we roll up to the cone I decide to roll about 5 car lengths further ahead.....WTF!!!! Thankfully Bob Denton rolls up to me, bring the field so we can have a normal start. Bob rockets away on the green and my chase begins again. A number of laps later we're still running 1-2 with overall leaders starting to pass through us.....and the yellow flys! At the green there are at least 8 faster cars behind me and one of them blows an engine going into the bus stop right in front of me and 4 other cars running in a tight pack. I simply cannot manage the traffic as well as Bob, especially with oil on the track. There's no carnage but I'm 15-20 car lengths back. I'd gladly report what Shawn went through but I was too busy to notice! I close the gap but Bob gets the win a couple laps later. Further busting my bubble, he lowers my track record by another .2 of a second.

For those that race with me know I run quite consistent and pretty hard, but I have NEVER driven so hard, and so well in my short career! Terry exclaimed that I drove the car like I hated it and even commented that one point I out-braked a miata. However, it just wasn't enough for the win.

When the Great Lakes guys could get a word in between Terry's stories I realized these guys were alot of fun to hangout with. We busted balls back-n-forth and exchanged numbers hoping to get a cross-over event together one day. They race hard and proved to some of us that the camaro/firebird actually can be competitive! LOL

As for the track, it's not as far a tow as it would appear but that might be because I was running 75.....even uphill. The racing surface was AWESOME as is the layout! It's FAST, at 3.54 miles it's 1/4 mile longer than VIR yet my lap time was within 2 seconds of my VIR times. With practice there is a little more time to be found. The elevation changes are a little more drastic than VIR too. It's simply a "bucket list" track and one I hope to go visit again someday. The views of the surrounding mountains were incredible!

• Members
Awesome write-up and Big congrats to Bob on the Championship win!!!

I have seen some AI videos and the track looks insanely fast!!

Now lets see some CMC videos. :D

Yeah, a 3.4 mile track running 2:13 vs our local track, High Plains Raceway, which is 2.55 miles and if you run a 2:06 you're hauling the mail. All that speed + Armco = a lot of body work.

Awesome write-up and Big congrats to Bob on the Championship win!!!

I have seen some AI videos and the track looks insanely fast!!

Now lets see some CMC videos. :D

Yeah, a 3.4 mile track running 2:13 vs our local track, High Plains Raceway, which is 2.55 miles and if you run a 2:06 you're hauling the mail. All that speed + Armco = a lot of body work.

I'll see what I can upload but all I saw all race was the back of Bob Denton's firebird!

FWIW: VIR is my home track at 3.27 miles and I run a 2:11.........W/G speeds were "normal" IMO, the guard rails weren't though!