Solid Motor Mounts?? Would you do them again?

Glenn

Since jumping my car Duke's of Hazard style back in April, I find myself replacing a lot of parts. One of which is the motor mounts. a number of years back I switched over to solids for the motor. I have not seen any issues as a result. The "jump" bent both of them and I need to replace them. Before I order a new set, I wanted to check w/ you guys. Have you been happy w/ them? Anyone switch back to poly and are happier w/ them over the solids?

I've been thinking of putting anchor chains on both sides of the block on the front to the sub frame, that way you would have the best of both worlds. Would that be legal?

I was never a fan of solid mounts while racing dirt. Solid motor and solid transmission mounts led to busted transmission cases do to all the stress on the case from no flex ability.

I still run stock mounts and only have replaced one so far in 7+ seasons.

• Members

I agree others that solid mounts are not ideal for RR. In drag racing where getting the launch perfect is necessary and you want to instantly transfer all that engine torque to the chassis, fine. In RR I'll take a little give on the trans and engine block to keep things that arent supposed to be squeezed from getting squeezed.

Since jumping my car Duke's of Hazard style back in April, I find myself replacing a lot of parts. One of which is the motor mounts. a number of years back I switched over to solids for the motor. I have not seen any issues as a result. The "jump" bent both of them and I need to replace them. Before I order a new set, I wanted to check w/ you guys. Have you been happy w/ them? Anyone switch back to poly and are happier w/ them over the solids?

Since you didn't have an issue with them for so long doesn't sound like they are a problem-I assume you run a poly trans mount to allow some give. Maybe they resonate more than a poly which would set off the knock sensors.

The impact you had would probably have damaged the stock mounts with poly wouldn't they?

I had solid mounts on my LS car that was totaled-it bent the mounts but the engine was fine and that was a pretty hard lick on the left front. My thought if it's a hard enough impact that it isn't going to keep something from breaking. And barring going straight into a concrete barrier at over 80 I would say the licks our cars took have to be some of the hardest I have seen.