DQ for rules infraction

BADVENM

At our last event a fellow competitor had his hood sealed at the end of the race weekend for the possibility of too much horsepower and/or torque.

The following weekend he dynod his car and found that it produced too much horsepower (about 20hp too much). He is currently listed with a DQ for the last race of the weekend. My question is should he be DQ'd for the entire weekend or just the last race?

The rules don't specify the consequences of a rules infraction such as this (should the dq be for one race, two races the entire weekend, etc). I just wanted to bring it to the forum for discussion and possible clarity in the rules for 2017 or possibly adding it in to the 2016 rules.

• Members

Let's be clear that this was not a protest, rather he showed up unannounced without a dyno cert for 2016. Having never personally faced this before, I went with 3.9 which states:

3.9 Dynamometer Certification

All participants who wish to compile season points must have a dynamometer certification report prior to the

start of the race or make arrangements to have a dyno test performed immediately after the race.

He went to the dyno less than a week after the event with last year's plate still in there and put down 28X whp. I assumed this would DQ him for the whole weekend, but this particular instance has been treated like a protest where it's a DQ for the last race and not the entire weekend because the hood was sealed after R4. Just like how you'd only be DQd for one race for being over on track width but not the whole weekend. Based on this, I should have sealed that hood after qualifying on Saturday.

Now let's examine Craig McCormick's scenario back in TWS earlier this year. He blew his motor up, changed it in the paddock, sealed the hood after R4, and was DQd for all 4 races that weekend after he dyno'd over 267 whp.

I'll submit an RCR for this to get it into black and white in the future, so how do we want this rule to be clarified? It needs to be the same across the country.

If you read section 3.5 of the rules.

3.5 Non-compliance/Cheating

Cheating and non-compliance will not be welcome and will receive harsh penalties. Non-compliance, defined as unintentional violation of CMC or NASA technical specifications will result in a disqualification. Cheating, defined as intentional violation of CMC or NASA technical specifications will result in multiple race disqualifications. The CMC Officials may decrease or increase penalties up to permanent ejection from the series for non-compliance or cheating based on the severity and recurrence of offenses.

I would determine this as a non-compliance. This was not intentional and the way the rule reads "unintentional violation of CMC or NASA technical specifications will result in a disqualification. Note it says A disqualification, not multiple disqualifications.

The car should have been dynoed after Race 1 if it was suspected that the car was out of compliance. If the dyno was not available,The car could "fun Run" the next races or the owner could make some other concession (Like put a smaller restrictor to fall below 260) to run the following races legally.

Bob

Craigs 4 races at TWS earlier this year were all changed to "fun run" when it was determined he went over on the dyno after the event.

No DQ's were assessed as there is a big difference b/w a DQ and a fun run.

Craig busted his butt to get the motor swapped out Friday night and was ready to race Saturday morning. After going over on the dyno, it was determined his finishing results would not stand but we definitely didn't want to penalize someone with a DQ when there wasn't even a dyno available for him at the track.

• Members

I like that answer. If I submit an RCR that puts that in black in white, you think it'll fly? How about if a guy shows up with a valid dyno, then gets called out. Just a 1 race DQ if not cheating, right?