2019 RCR #9

Al F.

• Members

Add new rule:

A strip of 1x1x1/8 angle iron of any length my be welded to the bottom of the K member.

Reasoning:

This will provide additional clearance for oil pans that are right at K member height and end up getting clobered when cars go off road.

Some may interpret this suggested rule as a way of cutting corners (on a track) without consequence (like COTA). Like has been already mentioned if one stays on the track bad things wont happen. How many have gone off track and had damage to their k members and/or oil pans from going off course? I don't know of any in rocky mountain region. Adding a protective device under the car could encourage one to think/attempt to go off course to gain an advantage without damage to their vehicle.

• Members

My stock oil pan has taken zero hits. My y pipe when I bought the car got beat to Hell and back. After I modded it and tucked it higher only the heat wrap has taken abuse. That and the k member, but nothing more.

As written, this proposed rule change is unnecessary and too ambiguous to be beneficial and could leave the door open to unintended modifications being developed by some bright spark that could actually provide performance benefit.

Additionally, making what is in essence a poor mans skid plate, I think encouraging folks to leave the paved surface is one of those unintended consequences that we don't want to promote.