rob_h

ST5 Aero Rule Clarification

rob_h

Moved to the proper section:

So I'm reading (and re-reading and re-reading) the ST 5 rules and I'm confused about Aero.

So BTM aero = +0.4

Single, Flat, Horizontal Splitter = -0.5

The classification form allows me to select both. as well as "NA".  Does that mean I can use the BTM Aero but get a splitter? 

Then the rules for ST5 says 

If not using the BTM Aero Modification Factor, aerodynamic parts/devices/aides shall be limited in ST5 to the following:
1) All of the items listed above in section 6.1.4 “BTM Aero” Modification Factor.
2) All of the items listed above in section 6.1.5 “ST6 Aerodynamic Modification Restrictions and Limitations”, except that there is no Modification Factor for a a single rear wing or spoiler.
3) Vertical front air dam (5º tolerance) that follows or extends beneath the outermost edge of the front and side bodywork/fascia.
4) Single flat, horizontal front splitter that protrudes no greater than 4” from where it intersects with the fascia or air dam. Along the entire splitter, there must be at least 1” of fascia or air dam material above/superior to where the splitter intersects the fascia/air dam, including at any air intake region. A Modification Factor will be assessed for any non-BTM splitter.
So many questions... 

Can I take both the Splitter and the BTM aero modifiers for a net of -0.1?

If I take the take the Splitter modifier in ST5 do I get the wing in 6.1.5 as well for the -0.5? (I assume that with the wing, the BTM Aero modifier of +0.4 is gone).

If I start with 14.0 is this how it works?

BWM Aero:14 +.4 = 14.4

BTM Aero + Splitter 14 + .4 - .5=13.9

Splitter + Wing 14.0 - 0.5 =13.5

Or does the Splitter always grant the wing and makes BTM Aero invalid meaning that the real cost of Splitter (and wing) is -0.5.  I think this is the answer, but the phrasing and form are poorly worded (IMO).

Roman V.
14 hours ago, rob_h said:

Moved to the proper section:

So I'm reading (and re-reading and re-reading) the ST 5 rules and I'm confused about Aero.

So BTM aero = +0.4

Single, Flat, Horizontal Splitter = -0.5

The classification form allows me to select both. as well as "NA".  Does that mean I can use the BTM Aero but get a splitter? 

Then the rules for ST5 says 

If not using the BTM Aero Modification Factor, aerodynamic parts/devices/aides shall be limited in ST5 to the following:
1) All of the items listed above in section 6.1.4 “BTM Aero” Modification Factor.
2) All of the items listed above in section 6.1.5 “ST6 Aerodynamic Modification Restrictions and Limitations”, except that there is no Modification Factor for a a single rear wing or spoiler.
3) Vertical front air dam (5º tolerance) that follows or extends beneath the outermost edge of the front and side bodywork/fascia.
4) Single flat, horizontal front splitter that protrudes no greater than 4” from where it intersects with the fascia or air dam. Along the entire splitter, there must be at least 1” of fascia or air dam material above/superior to where the splitter intersects the fascia/air dam, including at any air intake region. A Modification Factor will be assessed for any non-BTM splitter.
So many questions... 

Can I take both the Splitter and the BTM aero modifiers for a net of -0.1?

If I take the take the Splitter modifier in ST5 do I get the wing in 6.1.5 as well for the -0.5? (I assume that with the wing, the BTM Aero modifier of +0.4 is gone).

If I start with 14.0 is this how it works?

BWM Aero:14 +.4 = 14.4

BTM Aero + Splitter 14 + .4 - .5=13.9

Splitter + Wing 14.0 - 0.5 =13.5

Or does the Splitter always grant the wing and makes BTM Aero invalid meaning that the real cost of Splitter (and wing) is -0.5.  I think this is the answer, but the phrasing and form are poorly worded (IMO).

In short, If you want to take BTM Aero credit, you must run no aero at all. No splitters, wings, or other aerodynamic modifications.  See Section 6.1.4BTM Aero” Modification Factor  in the rules. The form does allow you to choose multiple selections for that section as  you could have both a splitter and a roof line modification. The wing is included in ST5 regardless if you take the splitter mod factor.

Hope this helps.

Roman

rob_h

Thanks.