Pacenoting Course on Saturday, February 4, 2006

bjorn240

Who are the instructors?

- Christian

Ivan Orisek
Who are the instructors?

- Christian

I will be the instructor. As for my qualifications, I began

making and using pace notes 34 years ago.

Ivan Orisek

Mike Kamm

I'd like to thank Ivan and Olga for putting together this unique pacenoting course. I would also like to share my impressions of it.

Although I have many years of experience in other forms of motorsports, prior to this course I had absolutely no experience in writing [or even understanding] pace notes. I am a big fan of rally, have rallycrossed and worked stage rally events for several years. My interest in this course was to ready myself for my next step, which is a plan to move up into Rallysprints in the near future.

I was impressed with the course format and delivery. The course started with a classroom session where course materials were handed out and discussed. Ivan explained of various styles of pacenoting used by rallyists all over the world. The discussion was augmented by in car video clips displaying different examples of how smoothly several championship caliber co-drivers deliver their notes.

After we all enjoyed the buffet lunch, we paired up and went out to write our own notes while driving a tarmac practice stage. This part of the course really helped me to get the feel of writing my own notes while discussing each turn with my co driver as to whether it we felt it was a Right 5 or a Right 4 etc. It also gave me an appreciation for how to communicate well with my co driver. In my mind, this driving/writing aspect of the course was a key part to this course. It allowed the classroom instruction to be applied first hand.

I would recommend a course like this to anyone who is starting from scratch like myself, and also to those with actual rally experience. Ivan and Olga both shared their past 35 years of experience with us and answered all of the many questions that were asked.

Once you know the basic mechanics of creating course notes, you will realize that you can practice making them wherever you are driving in your daily travels.

Michael Kamm

A.M.E.C. VP

Alex K

The Nicky Grist class looks like it will be really good if it builds on this format and his experience!

don kennedy

How many people attended Ivans course?

Mike Kamm

I didn't count but I would say between 20 and 30. The room was full and all seats were taken.