ST6- What can be removed?

1jeffcat

I have a rather odd question.  One of our cars has an annoying as hell 1oz rear seat bracket, that is spot welded in place.  Can I use a spot weld drill and remove it so we can store stuff in the car while towing it, without it snagging on stuff and/or stuff not laying flat?  Can I legally remove this or is it going to be noncompliant with the rule below? 

1a) Frame rails, sub-frames/suspension cross-members, and unibodies may have maximum diameter 0.75” (3/4 inch) holes drilled into them for purposes other than lightening, such as for the attachment of ancillary parts.  Cutting and channeling is not permitted. 

Example of the part I am speaking of attached.

Screenshot_20190331-164619_Chrome.jpg

• Administrators
6 hours ago, 1jeffcat said:

I have a rather odd question.  One of our cars has an annoying as hell 1oz rear seat bracket, that is spot welded in place.  Can I use a spot weld drill and remove it so we can store stuff in the car while towing it, without it snagging on stuff and/or stuff not laying flat?  Can I legally remove this or is it going to be noncompliant with the rule below? 

1a) Frame rails, sub-frames/suspension cross-members, and unibodies may have maximum diameter 0.75” (3/4 inch) holes drilled into them for purposes other than lightening, such as for the attachment of ancillary parts.  Cutting and channeling is not permitted. 

Example of the part I am speaking of attached.

Screenshot_20190331-164619_Chrome.jpg

Cut it out. It does not do anything.