Rollbar?

firehawkclone

I just bought a Autopower race rollbar w/ harness bar. I picked the 2" ERW tubing becuase the car is 3650lb with me(200lbs) and 3/4 of a tank the last time I wieghed it at the track. The car will be lighter by 50 to 100lbs this coming season.

This was the right choice according to the CCR 11.4.7 right?

I just bought a Autopower race rollbar w/ harness bar. I picked the 2" ERW tubing becuase the car is 3650lb with me(200lbs) and 3/4 of a tank the last time I wieghed it at the track. The car will be lighter by 50 to 100lbs this coming season.

This was the right choice according to the CCR 11.4.7 right?

The diameter looks right for just the roll bar. If you change to a full cage no ERW will be allowed. Make sure the wall thickness is 0.120 though.

For the full cage, 3k-4k pound weight break, it should be 1.75" o.d. with a wall thickness of .0120". Like Dan said, no ERW. If you're not welding the roll bar in, be sure to follow the CCR in regards to mounting plates for a bolt-in cage.

"15.6.14.A. Mounting Plates - Bolt-In Cage

The Attaching points of a bolt-in cage to the body must use reinforcing plates to sandwich the body. At least three (3) bolts are required for each bolt-in plate and the plate must be at least 3/16 inch thick. All hardware must be SAE Grade 5 or better with 5/16" diameter minimum. All nuts must be held securely by a locking system such as safety wire, lock washer, Ny-lox, or jam-nuts."

For the full cage, 3k-4k pound weight break, it should be 1.75" o.d. with a wall thickness of .0120".

Pat has a typo above - make sure you stay with 0.120" thick tubing. Not 12 thousandths (I'm sure Pat knew that!).

For the full cage, 3k-4k pound weight break, it should be 1.75" o.d. with a wall thickness of .0120".

Pat has a typo above - make sure you stay with 0.120" thick tubing. Not 12 thousandths (I'm sure Pat knew that!).

HAHA! Good catch. Yes, while we all call it "O" 120, the zero is supposed to be on the other side of the decimal

Thanks guy's, the Autopower bar come with all of the proper mounting hardware. But I just may weld it anyway, if I can get that HF welder to work more than 15min!

• 3 weeks later...

At what point do the rules say you have to have a roll cage/bar?

I am getting ready to hit the track its been a long time we had some protection for the most part some steel pipe welded into the frame.

I am looking at the 3sxperformance cages both 8 and 10 point the car will be a dedicated track car so whats the best for all good reasons. Also what about the 6 point harness rule. I want to be up on all this and not have to change later on. My class will be TTE to start out, hey I am still suporting my grown kids Hey look at it this way new meat for you guys to chew up LOL.

Jakster,

You do not need a rollbar/cage in your car, assuming it is a hardtop, to run Time Trials. That said, if you are looking at adding one you should consult the Nasa Club Codes & Regulations to make sure you build it in to their spec's. That way if you decide to move into racing you will not have to make any changes.

John

Jakster,

You do not need a rollbar/cage in your car, assuming it is a hardtop, to run Time Trials.

John

If he has a fixed back seat in the car he needs one though along with a 5 point harness, correct? I have a Corbeau Forza in my car and from what I read in the 2005 CCR I needed to install a 5 point harness and rollcage to protect myself from a rollover. I also asked about my modified stock seats in the HPDE forum but have yet to receive a response.

Jakster,

You do not need a rollbar/cage in your car, assuming it is a hardtop, to run Time Trials.

John

If he has a fixed back seat in the car he needs one though along with a 5 point harness, correct? I have a Corbeau Forza in my car and from what I read in the 2005 CCR I needed to install a 5 point harness and rollcage to protect myself from a rollover. I also asked about my modified stock seats in the HPDE forum but have yet to receive a response.

Yes, if you have a fixed back seat, you really should have a rollbar and harness set.

I plan to go pro racing that was my reason for asking. I figure I don't want to do things twice so try and get it right the first time. I will be puting in a fire system, master cut off ,fuel fill IMSA ,SCCA approved, NASA was not listed but I am sure they would aprove the fuel fill ect.What ever I can to make the car safer. I am not afraid but my honey will be racing also and man she cost a bundle and the grand kids will be watching

So to be up on all the 2006 rules a 6 point belt and ten point roll bar is that correct. Ya I am starting out TT but that will only last till I get the fire started.

I plan to go pro racing that was my reason for asking. I figure I don't want to do things twice so try and get it right the first time. I will be puting in a fire system, master cut off ,fuel fill IMSA ,SCCA approved, NASA was not listed but I am sure they would aprove the fuel fill ect.What ever I can to make the car safer. I am not afraid but my honey will be racing also and man she cost a bundle and the grand kids will be watching

So to be up on all the 2006 rules a 6 point belt and ten point roll bar is that correct. Ya I am starting out TT but that will only last till I get the fire started.

The best(cheapest) thing you can do is buy a built/ sorted car, in a class you would like to race in! Or have an expert build your car to fit you!

This is the smart thing to do

• National Staff

Jake, it sounds like you've got the right idea regarding getting as much safety equipment as possible up front. However, you really need to be careful with what you do to the car at this point, or you may end up having to cut parts of a cage out, or wasting money on an expensive quick-fill fuel system that is not legal in most of the enduro classes. A "basic, generic" NASA cage is six points. Additional attachment points and bars(like through the firewall or extra transverse horizontal bars) are legal in some race classes, but not in others. Anything more than a basic NASA cage will result in a points assessment for TT.

So, before you prep a car to race, you need to know what class the car is going to be racing in (or at least have a list of possibilities). Then, you need to read (not take someone's word on a forum) for yourself, all of the rules of the possible classes that you could end up racing in to determine what modifications make the most sense. Otherwise, I would stick to a basic six-point cage as described in the NASA CCR, and make sure that your fuel fill can be used with a standard 5 gallon jug (which is what most of the NASA enduro classes are required to use, except for the unlimited class). Get a good fire system, seats with head restraints, and 6 (or 7) point harnesses. Also, the safest cages are those that are custom made by an experienced builder, not generic ones that bolt in. It will cost about twice as much, but it's worth it if it ever gets used. Lastly, I would never assume that one organization will approve something just because one or two others do. We did a tech inspection on a NASCAR stockcar two weeks ago that had multiple deficiencies (from a NASA point of view).

• National Staff

I've got 5 points still. I think they are fine for now. I will consider getting 6 or 7 points when these belts go out of date.

Jakster.... since it looks like it might be me issuing a logbook for your car when you get to NM, please contact me directly and we'll get you going down the right path.

Be carefull with going to a 10 point roll cage. I'm not sure which SCCA class you (also) plan to run in, but this will most likely be illegal with them.