New HPDE Driver

Carbon8

Hey guy,

Finally after a long time coming I am looking to sign up for my first HPDE event. 

Just waiting for a few more part for my ND MX-5 before it will pass safety inspection

Looking for any and all input on what to expect and what to prepare for my first event, open to all advise but also the below specifically.

1. Car will be trailered and I will be camping
    1.  Is it best to camp at the track? (I can dry camp anywhere)
    2. Or should I find a local campground? 
  2. If camping at the track are they open the day or night before to arrive and get setup
  3. If camping are they big rig friendly? 44' RV 
  4. Recommendations for insurance for the car while on the track? 
  5. Recommended tools and supplies?
  6. Again any and all input and advice

Thanks

Edited by Carbon8
  • Like 1

1, 2, and 3 are track dependent, but generally camping at the track works well and RV's are fine (you would be amazed at the rigs $$$ that people show up in in order to race a beat up old miata for a plastic trophy...)

4. plenty of track insurance providers out there (lockton, hagerty, etc).  shop around for the best rate, but typically its about 1% of the cars value per day.

5. lug wrench, tire pressure gauge, battery powered air compressor, extras of all fluids

6. keep it on the pavement.  Don't use all season tires (although honestly a miata can get away with just about any tire since it's light).
make sure you are willing to spend 5k + per year doing this, because once you start, you won't be able to stop.

Just finished my first HPDE event yesterday at Sebring Fl.

cant say much about camping or trailering car as i drove my car to track and back home. Stayed in the track side hotel with my family but it seemed easier to be in rev at track.   For my first event it was a pretty busy weekend learning everything as I had never attended one before entering. 

As for tools etc.  one thing I would add depending on temperature and location.  I saw many pit stalls around me with fans and I plan on adding that to my list for future events in hot climates. Sebring has 110 power in the pits so it’s an easy add on. 

I used Hagerty Insurance for my 2 day event and ran .6% of stated value for both days. 

Advise.  Have fun and enjoy. It’s an incredible rush and I’m hooked just like post above

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 9:07 AM, Carbon8 said:

Hey guy,

Finally after a long time coming I am looking to sign up for my first HPDE event. 

Just waiting for a few more part for my ND MX-5 before it will pass safety inspection

Looking for any and all input on what to expect and what to prepare for my first event, open to all advise but also the below specifically.

1. Car will be trailered and I will be camping
    1.  Is it best to camp at the track? (I can dry camp anywhere)
    2. Or should I find a local campground? 
  2. If camping at the track are they open the day or night before to arrive and get setup
  3. If camping are they big rig friendly? 44' RV 
  4. Recommendations for insurance for the car while on the track? 
  5. Recommended tools and supplies?
  6. Again any and all input and advice

Thanks

Good luck man. That's one big step.