Anyone TT their daily driver?

Piersin

I want to join you guys out there this coming season for the TT. I am comfortable with the faster groups but I am a little nervous about the TT guys being much more aggressive in their 'race' cars and not worrying about other cars as much. Is there more of a chance of an incident in the TT since people are competing or do they respect the fact that people are in expensive daily drivers too?

I want to join you guys out there this coming season for the TT. I am comfortable with the faster groups but I am a little nervous about the TT guys being much more aggressive in their 'race' cars and not worrying about other cars as much. Is there more of a chance of an incident in the TT since people are competing or do they respect the fact that people are in expensive daily drivers too?

The past two seasons I have used my street car in TT and I didn't have a problem with the race cars at all. They still most follow the track rules for TT and I believe we only had two contacts all year and those were due to mechanical issues.

To me it seems that the drivers in race cars respect the street cars as much as other street car drivers.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried about this. What I would worry about it making sure your car is in good working order and having spare parts on hand if it's your only way of getting home. We had issues many times, but we have a 15 year old car too. Still, competing on a road course is tough on any car.

I would add that I would not expect my auto ins to cover a crash on the track in TT. I know a guy here in NorCal who wrecked (totaled) a new Mitsu Evo in TT at Infineon and the way I hear it, his insurance refused to cover him. (I wasn't there when it happened, but I think the wreck was a solo thing that landed him on his roof.) You probably would be covered for a collision in HPDE4 because that is a class, not a timed event.

I have retired my Honda Civic from everyday driving in order to prep it as a future Honda Challenge car, but LOTS of guys in my region TT their every day cars. I would echo the point already made about having a way to get home if something breaks or you have some other mishap...

Regards

• National Staff

There is no more risk than driving in HPDE 4 in the past. TT drivers are actually held to a higher standard of on-track behavior than HPDE4 drivers. About 50-70% of the cars that run in TT are street cars. The racecar drivers that drive in TT fully understand that they are not racing in this group.

I believe and HOPE

that all drivers who make it to TT

have enough experience & WISDOM

to realize they are Not racing,

to be safe and careful passing,

and realize that there is always another LAP,

and/or another session.

AND, everyone in HDPE 4 & TT

WILL LET YOU PASS the first safe chance they can get to let you by.

THAT is the key, the drivers are looking in their mirrors and letting you pass if you catch them!!!!!!!

Sounds good, I think I'll give it a shot this year.

I'll see you out there.

BTW I have some Dunlop R compounds on my stock wheels, would going to a hoosier slick like the Rolex series one be faster? If so how much? How long will they last?

i have been using my daily driver for tt since the start of the 2004 season...no issues with any of the other drivers, but ocassionally i'll break something on the car...just general track abuse.