Alcohol Injection - Bulkhead

briansfd

Trying to get into HPDE the second half of this year, after the Texas heat subsides a little. Just finished reading through the HPDE section of the CCR rule book and came across section 11.4.21.

"Tanks containing alcohol that exceed 50% alcohol by volume should carry an FIA FT3 rating and be installed per fuel cell regulations in CCR section 15.4." No problem here, I currently dont run more than 49% and dont have any intent to run more than this in the near future 

"50% or less alcohol by volume may use any container per the manufactures instructions... and must be mounted in an area that is completely separated from the diver by a bulkhead or firewall." This one does count for me. So, my question is, is there anyplace that defines what a bulkhead or firewall is? The material that it is made out of? Thickness of the material? ect.?

For reference, the below link shows the mounting location of the tank. 

https://www.sakebombgarage.com/trunk-mount-water-injection-tank/

Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge there is no specification defining a bulkhead.  Common sense says it needs to be fire proof, but beyond that I really don't know much.  I had one made when I installed a fuel cell in my 944 and it was a fairly straightforward sheet metal box with a hinged lid that was riveted to another interior panel and effectively enclosed the fuel lines from the cell.  Nobody ever questioned that.  The most common solution and probably the best is to put things like that either in the engine bar, or in the trunk.

Are you running water meth injection something like the Snow Performance systems?  If so I suggest getting as big a tank as you reasonably can.  You go through more of that stuff than you realize you will on the track.

Its the AEM pump and controller but with a different tank. I still have the AEM tank, but I didn't think it was going to be large enough and I don't have an ideal place to mount it. 

The tank I've been running tucks up behind the rear plastics.

Meth_Tank_Install_01__51808.1552351286.1280.1280.jpg

• Administrators
4 hours ago, briansfd said:

anyone?

Is the trunk physically separated from the driver, i.e. there is a rear seat?

http://www.silcom.com/~neilv/RX7/pages/RX7-trunk.htm

https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/how-install-jdm-rear-seats-into-us-fd3s-1064934/

Thanks for getting back to me Roman. 

Technically, no. There is a plastic cover that separates the space between the drivers/passenger compartment and the trunk itself. There is also a privacy cover for the hatch area. If the privacy cover is not installed, you would be able to toss a water bottle over the plastic cover and make it into the hatch. And then the tank is hidden behind the rear garnish. 

Edited by briansfd

Still looking for some feedback. 

Tried emailing the local region too, no response. 

Edited by briansfd

• 2 weeks later...

I actually tech cars.  No, this would not pass.  The tank needs to be in an area that's separated from the driver by something fireproof.  So in the engine compartment or in the hatch if you build an aluminum partition.  

However, in a DE environment it may not be an issue

• Administrators
On 7/25/2019 at 12:01 PM, briansfd said:

http://www.silcom.com/~neilv/RX7/pages/RX7-trunk.htm

https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/how-install-jdm-rear-seats-into-us-fd3s-1064934/

Thanks for getting back to me Roman. 

Technically, no. There is a plastic cover that separates the space between the drivers/passenger compartment and the trunk itself. There is also a privacy cover for the hatch area. If the privacy cover is not installed, you would be able to toss a water bottle over the plastic cover and make it into the hatch. And then the tank is hidden behind the rear garnish. 

As long as the tank is separated(i.e. with the cover), you will pass tech inspection for HPDE.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, briansfd said:

Hi Roman, 

Thanks for answering again. Photo below shows what the tank would look like fully installed with the cover. 

Meth_Tank_Install_02__63611.1552351287.1280.1280.jpg

Looks great!