Sign in to follow this  
SuperGT1LE

New to NASA

SuperGT1LE

Hello All,

I wanted to reach out to the Great Lakes region for help and advice. I live in the Cleveland area very close to Nelson Ledges. It has been a life long goal to get into road racing in any capacity. I own a 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE and would like to know how and what to get involved in to get out to the track and start driving. I understand I won't be doing any door to door racing for now but what steps can I take to get myself on a track driving and learning. What are the typical costs involved and would I need to do any safety prep? I appreciate all your help in advance.

427R

Welcome to NASA and the Great Lakes Region.  Email Jay Andrew our Regional Director ([email protected]), he'll be more than happy to provide you all the answers and information you need to become a member and how to sign up for events.  Its gonna be a blast.

SuperGT1LE

Thanks I appreciate that.  I'm sure he'll answer this question but are there any events for someone like me with a new car? Or will I have to look into something else that's more eligible.

Clavette

You are incredibly fortunate to live where you do.  NASA GL is regarded as having the best teaching Driver's Education (DE) program inside and outside of NASA.

Your car is perfect for starting out.  

NASA has 4 DE levels, a Time trial class and several Wheel 2 Wheel racing classes.

You will start out in DE1 which will provide you with an instructor and includes classroom time and will teach you everything that you need to know to drive your car safely on track. 

Track people are awesome and will help you with any other needs that you have on your track days.

Costs can be from $300 to $600 fro track fees.  Throw in another few hundred dollars for consumables.

Best of luck!

SuperGT1LE

Very encouraging!  I feel fortunate to be in my region and really looking forward to getting involved.  I'd like to also say how great Jay has been in getting back to me and providing me with all the information I need.  It's a little daunting at first getting involved because there's just so much all at once. I do have a question though. Jay provided the scheduling and tech forms and I signed up for NASA membership. However, what are the licenses? Do I need a License to show up and drive at a event?

SuperGT1LE

Does everyone start in DE1 or is this something I could test out of?

427R

Yea...Jay's pretty awesome, we're fortunate to have him as our RD.  License's come later and become required when you decide to move into Time Trials and/or Race Classes.  Good recommendation would be to look over the NASA CCR.  It's lengthy and covers a lot of information that we all need to know.  Scout around the NASA GL web site and get nosey, you'll find lots of good info.  After your 1st event, you feel better about how all of this works, we all went thru it when we got started.  And don't be hesitant to use this forum to ask questions, thats what its for.

Edited by 427R

SuperGT1LE
7 minutes ago, 427R said:

Yea...Jay's pretty awesome, we're fortunate to have him as our RD.  License's come later and become required when you decide to move into Time Trials and/or Race Classes.  Good recommendation would be to look over the NASA CCR.  It's lengthy and covers a lot of information that we all need to know.  Scout around the NASA GL web site and get nosey, you'll find lots of good info.  After your 1st event, you feel better about how all of this works, we all went thru it when we got started.  And don't be hesitant to use this forum to ask questions, thats what its for.

Very well put and I appreciate your help/encouragement greatly.