Jump to content
Roman V.

Ask Any Questions About TREC Here

Recommended Posts

Will yawn

I noticed in Appendix B that the 2007-2010 Mazdaspeed 3 is allowed but not the 2011-2013 Is that a simple omission or are the 11-13 mazdaspeed 3s not allowed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roman V.
43 minutes ago, fuelcell said:

Just checking the NorCal site and do not see any TREC races listed for the rest of this year.  Is that correct?

Thanks

We will post updates in this forum once regions put some dates on their calendars. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troy
23 hours ago, TypeZ said:

Nismo is 350HP out of the box, right? That would put it below the 10:1 cutoff even with 250lbs of ballast (9.45:1) assuming the wiki curb weight of 3232 lbs. Sport is only 332HP, so it sneaks in with ballast. That's my guess.

Nismo is 350HP at the crank, but at the wheels it is only about 295-305 so well under the 10:1 . . . I don't understand why it would not be eligible.

I think a little more clarification on the power-to-weight needs to be added.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roman V.
22 minutes ago, Will yawn said:

I noticed in Appendix B that the 2007-2010 Mazdaspeed 3 is allowed but not the 2011-2013 Is that a simple omission or are the 11-13 mazdaspeed 3s not allowed?

It just need to be added to the list. Please submit your request here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roman V.
12 minutes ago, Troy said:

Nismo is 350HP at the crank, but at the wheels it is only about 295-305 so well under the 10:1 . . . I don't understand why it would not be eligible.

I think a little more clarification on the power-to-weight needs to be added.

This was a typo as @Will F. pointed out earlier. It will be addressed in the next rules revision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CRallo

Nice to see NASA joining this segment of auto racing. I am excited to see where it leads.

 

I can't choose my line, I have to let the faster (in a straight line) car ruin my race? Really? May I suggest a couple alternatives? no dive bombing. Or no inside passing between turn in and first apex?

Two Fuel cells are allowed, but only one filler?

Lots of cars out there with .5 gallon swirl pots, .4g is going to be an issue... 

The swirl pot is behind the bulkhead and mostly low pressure lines... Why steel braided? Why eliminate hard lines?

Is the note regarding modifying fuel jugs meant for all jugs, or just the Hunsaker ones?

May other jugs be approved at the event or in the future?

What is the rational of closed pits under yellow?

The 10 G rule is and always has been an interesting one... This is a big disadvantage to the heavier cars in any given class. There has to be a better way. What about implementing a capacity per lb rule? More simply and a direct crossover, would be a with in 2G of stock capacity. The latter would mostly fix the problem as generally, larger cars have larger tanks.

 

Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harold

Perfect!!! Can't wait to see the schedule. We have a champ car and hopefully you guys hit some of our local tracks, Barber MSP, Road ATL, AMP and NCM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Austin S

What's the minimal and/or recommended number of people for a crew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeremy C.
On 7/23/2019 at 12:49 PM, sbarton said:

Looks cool and would love to do some races. 

Can you clarify the classing?

I have a GTS2 E36 M3 with a 328 motor in it.  That would technically be class 3.  I also have a E30 318is LeMons car that is also class 3.  The performance potential for both is vastly different, yet they are classed the same (stock powerplants, but significant weight reduction). 

1) Would they be re-classed based on qualifying times regardless of HP/Weight ratio? 

2) Is HP/Weight ratio just for initial classing, and qualifying times actually determine real class?

3) If you have a class 4 car, but driven by hot shoes would it get bumped up more than one class if the times where more on par with those cars and drivers?

4) You also have percentages next to the classes.  Is that how the final classing will actually be done?  If so what is the point of assigning an initial class based on HP/Weight ratio of the stock version of the car?

Thanks!

1) Yes. 

2) Correct. If folks properly class themselves, then most know before they get to the track the competition in their class. However, we can reclass cars to ensure everyone has fun and close racing. 

3) Most likely, yes. The idea here is fun close racing, not ultimate dominance. We believe that close racing is where the fun is at. 

4) See answer 2. The idea is to get people to properly class their cars, then use the system if need be to ensure all have good fun races. This series is focused on fun! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Garrett Katzenstein

Very excited about this as my NASA Racing license long went dormant after this type of racing started. I have raced with my group at all the others on the western half of the country who do this and love the format in general thus excited to see NASA take the plunge.  My questions:

1) How long will the races be? If they are not all weekend long like the existing series we race in, it will be difficult to get a group out to race whom all want a couple of hours of track time per race. Most of these teams are built on a group car ownership and sharing of seat time. For example, if you said we are doing TREC like an old 3 hour at the end of a NASA day, my team won't come. It's too much work / travel for a short race. Need dual 7's at least.

2) Will there be minimum timed pit stops or is it a "race" to fuel and change drivers?

3) Any driver stint limitations? I.E. can my fast driver double stint and run for 4 hours in a row (dangerous in my opinion).

Really looking forward to seeing the scheduled events and how you're new series progresses!

Thanks,

Garrett K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eneyeengee
On 7/23/2019 at 1:39 PM, zack_280 said:

Right before that it says "All rules in Section 15 of the NASA CCR shall apply".  Section 15 of the CCR covers many safety topics including roll cages, fire suppression, driver restraint, kill switches, etc.

Here's a link to the CCR.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/282/2019.1.pdf

My friends and I are unclear if our cage meets the requirements. We have an E36 with an 8 point (I think...) half cage that was fabricated by https://tcdesignfab.com/.
- The forward most mounting points are right against the B pillar, the factory 3 point seat belt location was removed to allow the cage to fit.
- 2 mounting points on the rear shock towers
- 2 mounting points to the rear subframe through the rear seat bottom
- 2 mounting points to the rear subframe between the rear shock towers

My question is: Are we allowed to run with this cage?

Section 15.6.13 of the CCR states:

15.6.13 Mounting Points
The roll cage shall be mounted to the floor area, which includes rocker panels, of the car in six, seven, or eight points. The cage shall not go through the firewall. The seventh and eighth points must attach to the firewall or front fender wells. All cage attachment points must be mounted to plates or a mounting box (plinth). Each required cage bar shall terminate on a plate with a 360 degree weld to the mounting plate, except as specified in Section 15.6.14.B. There shall be only one (1) mounting “point” per plate. This point is defined as where the “required tube” mounts. All additional tubes mounted to that plate must be mounted as close to the required tube as possible [Ref: (15.6.14.B)]. It is recommended that plinth boxes use a bottom support plate in cases where the edges of the box may punch through the sheet metal.

tcdesign_halfcage.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CRallo
8 hours ago, eneyeengee said:

My friends and I are unclear if our cage meets the requirements. We have an E36 with an 8 point (I think...) half cage that was fabricated by https://tcdesignfab.com/.
- The forward most mounting points are right against the B pillar, the factory 3 point seat belt location was removed to allow the cage to fit.
- 2 mounting points on the rear shock towers
- 2 mounting points to the rear subframe through the rear seat bottom
- 2 mounting points to the rear subframe between the rear shock towers

My question is: Are we allowed to run with this cage?

Section 15.6.13 of the CCR states:

15.6.13 Mounting Points
The roll cage shall be mounted to the floor area, which includes rocker panels, of the car in six, seven, or eight points. The cage shall not go through the firewall. The seventh and eighth points must attach to the firewall or front fender wells. All cage attachment points must be mounted to plates or a mounting box (plinth). Each required cage bar shall terminate on a plate with a 360 degree weld to the mounting plate, except as specified in Section 15.6.14.B. There shall be only one (1) mounting “point” per plate. This point is defined as where the “required tube” mounts. All additional tubes mounted to that plate must be mounted as close to the required tube as possible [Ref: (15.6.14.B)]. It is recommended that plinth boxes use a bottom support plate in cases where the edges of the box may punch through the sheet metal.

tcdesign_halfcage.jpg

You are halfway there. Needs a front hoop, halo and door bars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will F.
On 7/30/2019 at 7:06 PM, CRallo said:

You are halfway there. Needs a front hoop, halo and door bars.

Chris is correct here. Needs to be a full cage per the CCR section 15.6. There are a couple diagrams at the end of the section that show the minimum requirements for the mounting point layout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eneyeengee

Ok, thanks Chris & Will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidfarmer

for the 10:1 power ratio....are we using peak or average HP?  I don't see that addressed in the rules.  This is for non-Appendix B vehicles as referred in the first paragraph of section 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeremy C.
On 10/4/2019 at 7:37 AM, davidfarmer said:

for the 10:1 power ratio....are we using peak or average HP?  I don't see that addressed in the rules.  This is for non-Appendix B vehicles as referred in the first paragraph of section 4.

If you have to ask this question, just be cognizant of the fact that you might be bringing a car too fast for the format. The idea with the top class is no different than the other classes, safe fun competitive endurance racing. If the car is the same straightaway speed as the majority of the other 10:1 cars, you'll be just fine. If it goes like hell on the straights, you'll get bumped by the Race Director.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...