How fast is ST6/ST5 compared to SM/GTS2

Chuck T.

Maybe a hard question ...

My question is what lap times have yall seen a ST6 and ST5 car running compared to a Nationally competitive Front running SM ?  

In my region I have last years pole sitting SM to compare to and front running GTS2 cars but no real ST6 or ST5 cars.

Can the best ST6 keep up with the best National SM ? lap times ?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Chuck,  I race a 944Spec in SoCal and in our region SM, SE30 and 944Spec are all with in 1 sec per lap for the fastest drivers. These are drivers who have won National titles and have the current track records. 

I race my 944 Spec in ST6 and the only change I make is adding Hoosier R7 tires on a 9x15” wheel (Spec is 7x15”) the car is 3-4 seconds per lap faster depending on track. 

We don’t have a lot of ST6 cars yet but have had as many as 6 cars race in ST6 early this year. Typically we have 3-4 cars per event. 

A Miata can be competitive but you will need the Hoosiers on a bigger wheel to make it happen. Make sure you are at the maximum HP to Weight ratio. 

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Chuck sorry I never saw this earlier, but I have some feedback here...

Utah has a couple ST6 Miata's that regularly run 2-3 seconds faster then our fastest SM's. On paper the maxed out SM is actually slightly higher performance then TT6 rules, it's kind of interesting actually. But ST/TT6 is allowed to use potentially better suspension, wheel width combinations. Currently of the 3 regular TT6 miata's one runs Hoosiers, 2 run Maxxis. I believe even the Maxxis cars have beat SM lap times substantially.