Laguna Seca

BrianZ

Anyone else go to LSR this last weekend. Even tho it rained most of the weekend I had fun! What a great track, but I still think that turn 11 is pretty evil!

I was there (Miata 256, white/blue stripes)! Had a blast, after getting picked out of the tire wall at the inside of 8 in the first grp2 session Saturday. The rain early Sunday was extremely valuable in learning the feel of the car at the limit without having to go at some insane speed to do it. I got plenty of practice with incipient spin recovery exiting 11 and came to enjoy the feeling of the back end coming out, then bringing it back in again. The fog rolling in during our session 3 was interesting also. It gets murky real quick at the top of the corkscrew!

yes.. that fog came in quick... i agree with you that it help learn how to control the car at lower speeds..

Tire wall in 8? that sucks.. any damage? (to you or the car?)

I was also in attendence. I was driving the white Miata with a black hardtop in HPDE2, #27. It felt good to be back at the track again, as it had been about a year and a half since the last track day I attended. It was also my first time hotlapping a RWD car.

I was actually scared of the rain at first. But it is actually fun... Slow, but fun, and it was definitely a lesson in car control.

--Andrew Phan

1992 Miata (#27)

YES, I was there. A...Andrew...were you the miata next to me? I was the green BMW 2002 next to you...I think. I had a blast, this was my first time there at Laguna Seca with the car. It was tricky at first, but well worth the experience. Great video, just got to figure out how to get it on the computer. I didnt have a digital camcorder. When I get it, Ill post it.

Later.........

YES, I was there. A...Andrew...were you the miata next to me? I was the green BMW 2002 next to you...I think. I had a blast, this was my first time there at Laguna Seca with the car. It was tricky at first, but well worth the experience. Great video, just got to figure out how to get it on the computer. I didnt have a digital camcorder. When I get it, Ill post it.

Later.........

let me know if you need help getting in on the computer..

YES, I was there. A...Andrew...were you the miata next to me? I was the green BMW 2002 next to you...I think.

Yup... That was me. Time to get a few things done before I head to another HPDE again.

Edited by Guest

So if you damage your car, is there any form of insurance to claim on? And if you hurt yourself? I assume one pays for either out of pocket?

well. if you get hurt I would think your medical ins would pay for it( you need to talk to them, mine will cover me). If you damage your car, well, your mostlikly going to be paying to fix it yourself. The company I have my car ins through says once i pass throught the gates to the paddock I'm not covered, but my roomates ins says as long as it is not a timed event, they concider it a driving school and will cover you.

Nasaproracing or the track provides NO ins what so ever.

Edited by Guest

So if you damage your car, is there any form of insurance to claim on? And if you hurt yourself? I assume one pays for either out of pocket?

HPDE as a driving school is usually covered under most auto insurance policies. You can search the forums for a lot of discussion on this topic.

yes.. that fog came in quick... i agree with you that it help learn how to control the car at lower speeds..

Tire wall in 8? that sucks.. any damage? (to you or the car?)

Much to my surprise and delight, no damage to either myself or the car! I wasn't going all that fast into the turn (or so I thought). Other mitgating factors were that most of the slide was uphill, the sand did a real good job of soaking up energy, and I hit the wall apparently directly side-on. The tires deformed, grabbing the car like a catcher's mitt. I had taken the tow loops off the front years ago because they "looked funky", but I'll be putting them on again before the next event. The tow truck guy had to strap off the front suspension, which wrinkled the front-end plastic, but that all unwrinkled itself after an hour or so. After a close inspection, test drive, and blessing from tech, I was ready for session 2. Only damage was a bit of missing paint, but the paint on that car falls off if you look at it sideways anyway.