2020 CMC Rules development

Al F.

• Members

Hard to believe 2019 is coming to a close, but it is, which means we need to start getting ready for the 2020 season. I intend on submitting CMC rules to the national office on October 31. This is a fairly short rules changes season, but given how stable our rules have been for the last few years I believe this is perfectly doable. Our goal is to only make changes for clarification (ie making it easier to understand and ensure compliance), or because the change reduces cost, improves safety, or enables closer competition (closer does not mean lower lap times by the way!).

Your role as a CMC competitor is twofold: first, submit Rules Change Requests (RCR) for things you believe make sense and second, to discuss your RCRs and those others submit with your fellow racers and, most importantly, with your Regional Director.

Feel free to create a thread for your RCR, but please keep these threads limited to one specific topic to make it easier for everyone to follow along. Keep these discussions civil and remember that its perfectly ok for others to have a different and even conflicting opinion to your own.

To submit an RCR for consideration, please submit it to your regional director via email with a cc to me using the format below. Your regional director is your representative at the official discussions, and the two of you discussing your suggestion first will help that greatly.

We will accept complete RCRs until Saturday October 12. I will post RCRs as they come in so everyone can see what they are.

For those that are new or unfamiliar, the Directors discuss and vote on the RCRs. Usually RCRs are either overwhelmingly supported or overwhelmingly not supported, but if it is a tie then I'm the tie breaker and retain the right to veto. When we're done, we submit the whole thing to NASA HQ for their review, suggestions, and final approval.

I encourage you to do the appropriate due diligence. Provide real evidence and details. Read old RCRs, read the director's cut threads explaining what RCRs were rejected and why. If it's the same RCR and nothing has changed, its logical to expect the decision to remain unchanged.

RULE CHANGE REQUESTS (RCR) MUST BE SUBMITTED IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT TO BE CONSIDERED (no a post online isn't enough):

---1) Name / Region / Car # / Contact Info (email or phone, etc)

---2) Rule reference # (ex.- Rule 3.2)

---3) Recommended Revised Wording (saying make rule 5.4 clearer isnt enough! How would you word it?)

---4) Reasoning for change MUST include at least 1 of the following:

---------->a) Will decrease series cost because...

---------->b) Will increase driver safety because...

---------->c) Will promote series growth because...

---------->d) Will improve competition because...

---------->e) Will provide more clarity because...

HINT Requests which score points in all categories have better chances of being accepted than those which score points in 1 category (or worse yet, go against the reasonings above.)

I'm available just about any time if you want to discuss something over the phone or email.

• Members

Just posted an RCR I've had in my hip pocket. The only other potential RCRs I'm personally clinging to are sanity checking price caps on shocks, wings, and brakes. Gotta keep up with inflation. We'll see what my guys come up with in the days to come.

Edited by Dustin M.

• Members

That’s a great point Dustin. Would you be willing to do a bit of hunting for current prices? The standard we’ve used for years for shocks is the Koni double and stop tech caliper...

• Members

Absolutely. I'll post parts and prices and we'll verify amongst the regions to make sure I didn't miss out on any setups I didn't capture.