ST6 Spoiler vs Wing (6.1.5 ST6)

DavidSinger

BTM 2004 Focus does not have a spoiler. SVT does.

To get BTM on my SVT, I must remove the spoiler and trim off the skimpy front bumper skirt.

But if I forego BTM, then I can extend the front skirt to 2" below bumper, and replace the spoiler with a wing (see photo) that otherwise meets the specs.

Am I reading the rules properly that my SVT gets the free skirt upgrade, but is stuck with the spoiler penalty, so might as well chuck the near-useless thing and install a proven wing?

PaintJob2.jpg

Edited by DavidSinger
To add example photo

"If not using the BTM Aero Modification Factor, aerodynamic parts/devices/aides shall be limited in ST6 to the following:
1) All of the items listed above in section 6.1.4 “BTM Aero” Modification Factor.
2) Single rear wing or spoiler that does not exceed a height above the roof line (or windshield frame height for convertibles), or width greater than the vehicle’s body width, or end plates with area greater than 144 square inches each, or 12” protrusion from the rear of the vehicle. Body width does not include flared fenders, mirrors, splitter, door handles."

So I drew my interpretation of these rules, the allowed are bewithin the white box.  Is my interpretation correct?

RulesWingArea.jpg

• National Staff
On 10/1/2019 at 6:33 PM, DavidSinger said:

BTM 2004 Focus does not have a spoiler. SVT does.

To get BTM on my SVT, I must remove the spoiler and trim off the skimpy front bumper skirt.

But if I forego BTM, then I can extend the front skirt to 2" below bumper, and replace the spoiler with a wing (see photo) that otherwise meets the specs.

Am I reading the rules properly that my SVT gets the free skirt upgrade, but is stuck with the spoiler penalty, so might as well chuck the near-useless thing and install a proven wing?

PaintJob2.jpg

Correct other than extending the front "skirt" 2" below the bumper.  You would be adding an Air Dam, which is not permitted in ST6 (is in ST5).  The 2" applies to items molded into an aftermarket front facia that protrude (not extend from the bottom).

• National Staff
On 10/10/2019 at 3:14 PM, DavidSinger said:

"If not using the BTM Aero Modification Factor, aerodynamic parts/devices/aides shall be limited in ST6 to the following:
1) All of the items listed above in section 6.1.4 “BTM Aero” Modification Factor.
2) Single rear wing or spoiler that does not exceed a height above the roof line (or windshield frame height for convertibles), or width greater than the vehicle’s body width, or end plates with area greater than 144 square inches each, or 12” protrusion from the rear of the vehicle. Body width does not include flared fenders, mirrors, splitter, door handles."

So I drew my interpretation of these rules, the allowed are bewithin the white box.  Is my interpretation correct?

RulesWingArea.jpg

Appears correct.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:31 PM, Greg G. said:

Correct other than extending the front "skirt" 2" below the bumper.  You would be adding an Air Dam, which is not permitted in ST6 (is in ST5).  The 2" applies to items molded into an aftermarket front facia that protrude (not extend from the bottom).

Thanks on both answers, Greg.

Not being argumentative here, just trying to fit the rules.

So I think you  are saying that even though the factory SVT Euro bumper comes with the 2 inch "skirt", I still have to remove that skirt because Ford only bolted it on?

I think I am allowed to replace the Euro bumper with a Base Model bumper, but does that imply I will get aero penalty if I leave the Euro bumper on after removing the factory 2 inch "skirt"?

• National Staff
5 hours ago, DavidSinger said:

Thanks on both answers, Greg.

Not being argumentative here, just trying to fit the rules.

So I think you  are saying that even though the factory SVT Euro bumper comes with the 2 inch "skirt", I still have to remove that skirt because Ford only bolted it on?

I think I am allowed to replace the Euro bumper with a Base Model bumper, but does that imply I will get aero penalty if I leave the Euro bumper on after removing the factory 2 inch "skirt"?

You are getting pretty specific without photos.  Also, remember, there is no "Aero Penalty", there is just a BTM Aero beneficial Mod Factor.  The default is that you have whatever trim bumper the car came with.  You get BTM Aero only when the car meets those qualifiers.

3 hours ago, Greg G. said:

You are getting pretty specific without photos.  Also, remember, there is no "Aero Penalty", there is just a BTM Aero beneficial Mod Factor.  The default is that you have whatever trim bumper the car came with.  You get BTM Aero only when the car meets those qualifiers.

The white circle identifies the afformentioned "skirt" affixed by Ford Factory to ther bottom of the Euro bumper on the SVT.  The Base Trim Model of the Focus does not have this bumper.  The SVT trim package has this bumper along with the DOHC engine, 6-speed trans, different instrumentation, Recaro seats, rear spoiler, improved brakes, larger rims, etc.  For the SVT, that is "base trim".  For the Focus line itself, that is the top trim package, not the base.

SVT comes from the factory with the "air dam" and the rear spoiler.

As I read the rules, to get BTM +.4 I have to remove both the spoiler and the "air dam".  If I wish to subsequently modify the aero, I can only reinstall the rear spoiler, or instal a rear wing.

But if we are talking about BTM being the SVT, may I leave the skirt thingie on?

Focus-SVT-2003-Euro-Skirt.jpg

• National Staff
34 minutes ago, DavidSinger said:

As I read the rules, to get BTM +.4 I have to remove both the spoiler and the "air dam".  If I wish to subsequently modify the aero, I can only reinstall the rear spoiler, or instal a rear wing.

Focus-SVT-2003-Euro-Skirt.jpg

The SVT was a trim level of the Focus, not it's own model.  So, you are correct about removing the air dam for ST6.   I don't know if the "Euro" bumper/Facia is the same as the base trim Focus or not, but if not, it would not qualify for BTM without being approved for Appendix B.

• 5 weeks later...

Also side skirts on the 3 door SVT Focus are not BTM, and if installed would need to be removed?  They were OEM installed on the 3 door, but not the 5 door of the SVT focus and all other trims had no side skirts.  But do side skirts modify the body lines?  They are not specifically called out in 6.1.4 rule.

Technically the SVT Focus was always listed in that order a SVT Focus, not a Focus with SVT trim so there was marketing being done.  All SVT's I believe are marked that way (Mustang, Contour, & Focus) but regardless.

Also the spoiler and BTM are two separate modification factors points assessed correct?  The wording of the rule makes it sound like it is compounded so you can not take the BTM points and have a spoiler.