Adding bucket seat to the car

rymaggi

Been thumbing through the CCR and there really isn't a clear answer which I've found.  While i'll most likely ask the techs at my first NASA HPDE day, i figured it wouldn't hurt to see if i could get some insight prior to the track day.

I've gone through Simraceways PD classes at Sonoma raceway and through the 3 days of sessions and class time, the one biggest thing i wanted to change was me sliding all around in my seat by getting a bucket seat.  However, when you change out the seat, you start entering the arena of messing with safety and i'm sure NASA has some requirements when it comes to properly running a seat like this which i was hoping someone could shed some light on.

Obviously, there's a few options here; Bucket seat with 3-point seatbelt that channeled through the bucket seat harness waist openings. Harness bar and running a harness. Full roll cage (Do not want to do this for 1 seat).

Each has their own draw backs and issues.  I'll be attending the HPDE Group 3 class as i have a feeling the group/class has some impact on what equipment you can/cannot run.

My ideal use would be with a harness bar and a harness, but would be nice to have the option of using the 3-point seatbelt (I know has it's drawbacks), if i do end up getting the seat prior to the track day, but harness and harness bar might come after.

• Administrators
On 10/4/2019 at 8:41 PM, rymaggi said:

Been thumbing through the CCR and there really isn't a clear answer which I've found.  While i'll most likely ask the techs at my first NASA HPDE day, i figured it wouldn't hurt to see if i could get some insight prior to the track day.

I've gone through Simraceways PD classes at Sonoma raceway and through the 3 days of sessions and class time, the one biggest thing i wanted to change was me sliding all around in my seat by getting a bucket seat.  However, when you change out the seat, you start entering the arena of messing with safety and i'm sure NASA has some requirements when it comes to properly running a seat like this which i was hoping someone could shed some light on.

Obviously, there's a few options here; Bucket seat with 3-point seatbelt that channeled through the bucket seat harness waist openings. Harness bar and running a harness. Full roll cage (Do not want to do this for 1 seat).

Each has their own draw backs and issues.  I'll be attending the HPDE Group 3 class as i have a feeling the group/class has some impact on what equipment you can/cannot run.

My ideal use would be with a harness bar and a harness, but would be nice to have the option of using the 3-point seatbelt (I know has it's drawbacks), if i do end up getting the seat prior to the track day, but harness and harness bar might come after.

If you put a bucket seat without adding a roll bar with proper five point harness, you will not pass NASA tech inspection. In a roll over situation, the factory seat back is designed to go flat. When you add a bucket seat, factory roll over protection for occupants will be compromised. Also, the factory seatbelts were not designed to be used with aftermarket bucket seats.

Before spending the money on a seat, come to a  NASA event and talk to one of the NASA tech inspectors at the track. Show them your car, and they will guide you in the right direction.

3 hours ago, Roman V. said:

If you put a bucket seat without adding a roll bar with proper five point harness, you will not pass NASA tech inspection. In a roll over situation, the factory seat back is designed to go flat. When you add a bucket seat, factory roll over protection for occupants will be compromised. Also, the factory seatbelts were not designed to be used with aftermarket bucket seats.

Before spending the money on a seat, come to a  NASA event and talk to one of the NASA tech inspectors at the track. Show them your car, and they will guide you in the right direction.

Hi Roman,

Thank you for passing along that information to me.  I'll be sure to track down a tech during my attendance later this month at Sonoma and see what is the best option for me when considering to add a bucket seat.

• Like 1