2020 RCR #3

Al F.

• Members

Some of the other regional directors and I have been discussing allowing the torqhead ignition change package for LT1 engines. This effectively turns an LT1 into an LS1 type of ignition, but not exactly...anyway it seems to us to be a really promising way for LT cars to get away from optis in a complete and well engineered way, so it ought to improve reliability and reduce cost of running an LT without creating any performance advantage. Thoughts appreciated...

I think this is a good proposal as some have had great luck with the optispark while others have had nothing but trouble and swapped LS engines to get away from the optispark design. Finding a good replacement optispark unit is today is not as easy as it used to be. Many of the available units are from offshore suppliers and are questionable. A new AC delco Optispark is currently not available on Rock auto. AC delco can give you a re manufactured one for $323 dollars on rock auto with a $75 core. The torque Head ignition system will allow modern components to make the cars more reliable..

Bob 

• Members

I think to do it, we ought to guinea pig it next year instead of opening up the floodgates. Getting a CMC-spec tune is the big variable here. We could re-convene mid season next year if it's working out that well and open it up for the masses. That may come in the form of cutting waivers for anyone more who wishes to convert to cover them for nats, then spec the exact configuration and tune in the rules to the letter next year.

• Members
8 hours ago, Dongle said:

I think you should have to suffer with your choice of engine.  :)

-Don

Yeah, this year's national champ really has it rough. ?