Rule Change: Penalty for “A” tires

Racerwong

My vote would be leave tire rule as it is now, but also open to the idea removing tire penalty rule completely. Just makes things much easier.

this whole argument is ridiculous, a non dot tire is a superior tire to an A7. Yes the autocross tire will be to temp faster, but if the car is properly set up for the non dot it will be faster and for far longer. 

A VS R, it’s just gonna come down to length of race, ambient / track temp, weight of vehicle. Leave that open and to the racer to decide. 

If the majority feelA this way, why even have GTS? The rules are ever closer to ST. Might as well have them absorb the series with EQUAL rule input from our series director and Greg greenbaum. Increase car counts across the board and maybe attract more contingency sponsors?? Sounds good to me. 

• Like 2

Let’s not forget that Pirelli / Michelin / Yokohama / most popular slick manufacturers do not offer contingency or support NASA in any way.  Most of us stick with Hoosier and BFG to compete in the contingency programs.  Forcing a rule on us to change setups in order to make your non NASA supporting slicks more competitive does not make any sense.  Rather, changing your slick set ups to run the so called “equal” A7/R1S make FAR more sense and help to support the tire companies that support us.  

That being said, if Michelin supported NASA and offered the same contingency that Hoosier does now, I'd be running Michelin non DOT slicks at 12:1 in GTS3 because they are superior racing tires to anything DOT.  

Edited by Emag
  • Like 1

• John S. featured this topic

Against this due to lack of data proving this in either direction. 

if your perception is that the A7 is a fast as the slick on your cup, you should run them first then suggest the rule. I don’t think will get gts drivers lost to ST to come back to gts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Against. 

An A7 may be the hot ticket now, but that may change--used to be an "A" wouldn't last the full 45 min. Also, everyone I've seen running slicks are running endurance compounds. Maybe the A is as fast as them (I doubt it) but an A7 will be no where near as fast a soft slick. Are we going to make adjustments for the different slick compounds as well? 

If A7s are perceived advantage over the slicks, then run them. Even if you have to make spring changes to run them vs the slick, the cost of springs is less the cost difference between a set of As vs slicks.

John Van Houten

GTS4 - back in 2020

• John S. locked this topic
  • John S. unfeatured this topic