Rule Change: P/W Mod for Tire Size

rokkit

In efforts to increase car count and curb the perceptions that wide bodies and wide tires are required to be competitive I am proposing a rule that will maintain the OPEN rule set of GTS, but also add a modifier to allow those who do not want to pursue wide bodies and wide tires to have an equal playing field amongst those who do. The major advantage to larger tires are more heat capacity. Someone racing on a 245 may be quick the first few laps of the race, but after their tires fall off come lap 5-7, those with larger tires have the advantage. To combat this, a modifier to carry more weight (work the larger tire more) will be imposed.

NOTE: Please post constructive changes if you feel there should be any. Base tire was selected based on the majority of cars/platforms that run the class.

Adjustments made to power to weight ratio based on anything larger than base tire size. Staggered setups will use the average tire size to calculate. Ie: if you run 245 front and 275 rear, your average tire size will be a 260.

GTS1 - 225

GTS2 - 245

GTS3 - 285

GTS4 - Unlimited

GTS5/U – Unlimited

Anything larger than the base tire size will assess at a +.4 Power modifier.

Break down per 2019 rule set:

Power Modifiers

Power

Base Mod

Weight

New Mod

New Weight

Weight Change

GTS1

GTS2

GTS3

• Like 1

i am for this rule change.  it considered all classes and their current attendees.  we can all agree slowing teh big tires down will just bunch the class up again and let everyone in each class compete with each other.  its also the least cost impact, just add some weight. 

• Like 1

I also am for this rule change. As we’re losing cars to ST4 & ST5 to the perception that it’s a bottomless mod trap, that only rewards the most money spent on the build. 

• John S. featured this topic
6 hours ago, rokkit said:

In efforts to increase car count and curb the perceptions that wide bodies and wide tires are required to be competitive I am proposing a rule that will maintain the OPEN rule set of GTS, but also add a modifier to allow those who do not want to pursue wide bodies and wide tires to have an equal playing field amongst those who do. The major advantage to larger tires are more heat capacity. Someone racing on a 245 may be quick the first few laps of the race, but after their tires fall off come lap 5-7, those with larger tires have the advantage. To combat this, a modifier to carry more weight (work the larger tire more) will be imposed.

NOTE: Please post constructive changes if you feel there should be any. Base tire was selected based on the majority of cars/platforms that run the class.

Adjustments made to power to weight ratio based on anything larger than base tire size. Staggered setups will use the average tire size to calculate. Ie: if you run 245 front and 275 rear, your average tire size will be a 260.

GTS1 - 225

GTS2 - 245

GTS3 - 285

GTS4 - Unlimited

GTS5/U – Unlimited

Anything larger than the base tire size will assess at a +.4 Power modifier.

Break down per 2019 rule set:

Power Modifiers

Power

Base Mod

Weight

New Mod

New Weight

Weight Change

GTS1

GTS2

GTS3

4 hours ago, f.millan said:

i am for this rule change.  it considered all classes and their current attendees.  we can all agree slowing teh big tires down will just bunch the class up again and let everyone in each class compete with each other.  its also the least cost impact, just add some weight. 

This proposal is aimed at changing perception of wide tires being faster, however offers no data to back up that claim.  This makes the proposal null and void. As I assume that I personally aid in this "perception" I would be happy to provide some data to consider.  Below is my dyno and impound from nationals at Mid Ohio where we set pole. Important info to note: my scale weight was 3155 after the session and according to my dyno my min weight was 2981. (fyi this is typical for how I run my set up. IE at least 100lbs overweight for dyno varriance since the 4hp buffer was removed.)  That's a 174lb delta. per the proposed ratio adjustments I would have been more than clear with my wide tires. this data was also confirmed with the nasa black boxes.   this change does not BOP me enough and may hurt other drivers who are on wide tires and not at the front yet.   lets discuss this before we shove another rule set change down everyone's throat and alienate our current GTS members for a mystery group of people who perceive a rule change will make them competitive.  

2019_Nats_Dyno.jpeg

12 hours ago, gofastzach said:

This proposal is aimed at changing perception of wide tires being faster, however offers no data to back up that claim.  This makes the proposal null and void. As I assume that I personally aid in this "perception" I would be happy to provide some data to consider.  Below is my dyno and impound from nationals at Mid Ohio where we set pole. Important info to note: my scale weight was 3155 after the session and according to my dyno my min weight was 2981. (fyi this is typical for how I run my set up. IE at least 100lbs overweight for dyno varriance since the 4hp buffer was removed.)  That's a 174lb delta. per the proposed ratio adjustments I would have been more than clear with my wide tires. this data was also confirmed with the nasa black boxes.   this change does not BOP me enough and may hurt other drivers who are on wide tires and not at the front yet.   lets discuss this before we shove another rule set change down everyone's throat and alienate our current GTS members for a mystery group of people who perceive a rule change will make them competitive.  

2019_Nats_Dyno.jpeg

Just FYI, I don’t think anyone actively racing even thinks 315’s, for example, in GTS2 would be beneficial. But Mags has enough data for GTS3 on various tire sizes that makes the performance advantage quite obvious. It’s possible that 1/2 just don’t have enough power to really exploit the extra width. So the proposal is more about the class as a whole without just looking at GTS2. If it’s no impact on you personally then that’s great. Bc I’ve never heard you mentioned as being the “target” of this. Mags supports the change for a reason and it directly impacts him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• John S. locked this topic
  • John S. unfeatured this topic