Class for new C8 Corvette & for 2011 BMW 335 iXdrive?

Chad Fullmer

I'm interested in buying a new C8 Corvette - but will probably wait for either the Z06 or ZR1 to come out.   I don't want to modify it a lot, and may occasionally use it on the road.  Besides paying for track time to do timed solo laps (which I understand I could do), is there a class where I could race it against other cars that would be very similar in performance?  I've never raced before (other than K1 go carts & driving my own cars fast on public roads for many years), but I'd like to get into it & have fair competition without getting into lots of mods of the car.  I am in Utah about 30% of the time but I'm hesitant to have the car here in utah where weather would keep it garaged at least half the year, so I'd consider keeping it in a garage in Vegas or Phoenix or So Cal.   

Also, I currently own a 2011 BMW 335 IXdrive & would like to get into racing it in Utah (miller sports park/utah motorsports campus) this spring.  It is 100% stock as far as I know (I bought it a year ago) but I'm open to modifying it just a little if that will help.

Most of all, in racing either of these cars, I want to race in formats where the rules/class-restrictions make it as fair as possible, so that the winner is based more on who drove the best, not on who knows how to tinker the most or who can spend the most to modify their car.  I know NOTHING about auto mechanics, nor will I try to learn, but I'm happy to outsource that & pay a garage to help me with minor mods that make sense on both cars.

Thoughts/advice for how/where/what class to race both of these cars in?

Thx

Race cars require roll cages and are not safe to drive without a helmet and therefore, they are no longer street cars.

I assume you are new to NASA and tracking in general.  Start with HPDE 1.  Have fun, ask questions.  Worry about mods and classing later.

• Like 1

It is not possible to race an almost stock car.  A race car will have a full roll cage, extensive safety equipment, no interior, etc.

It would be possible for you to eventually participate in time trials (multiple cars on track at once, but you are competing just to get the fastest lap, not trying to pass other people / hold your possition / etc).  This can be done with a stock car, but you will not be competitive without extensive modifications (mainly suspension).

Time trial classes are based on power to weight ratio.

What you want is HPDE (driver education).  This can be done on a 100% stock car (just summer tires and high performance brake pads / fluid).  You are out on track with other cars, but there is no competition (only passing on the straights, etc).  Progressing through HPDE levels 1 - 4 will qualify you to test for a time trial or race license, but this process will take multiple years.

• Like 1

First off welcome!

Second slow down, going from 0 experience directly to full competitive racing isn't a realistic goal. Autocross and HPDE is where pretty much everyone starts off. Third, everyone tweaks, modifies, and adjusts something in racing to give them an advantage. Spec racing is probably the closest to what your looking for. The BMW is fine for learning the basics, but for racing as others have mentioned your going to need a tow vehicle, trailer, and dedicated track car (personally i think Miata's are the best). When you're ready buy a car that has already been made into a race car; the worst thing (financially) is to by a new car and make a race car.

• Like 1