Tranny Leaking & Elan Diffuser

Roger-33B

Two questions:

1/ I have chassis 33 and since the beginning the transmission has leaked a tiny bit of oil. In the last 6 months I've noticed 3 or 4" diameter spots left each time i come off the track. It's still not a lot of oil but leaking, especially when hot, has increased. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm worried it just will continue to get worse.

2/ Anyone have experience with the Elan diffuser? How about at a point and shoot track like Sebring?

Thanks in advance!

Roger Wilson

• 1 month later...
  • National Staff

Roger,

1. I have experienced the leaking as well on the two cars I own. It is not really a big deal, but can be an annoyance if you park the car on a lift and another below it. The leak typically comes from 2 o-rings within the gearbox that seals up the tube that runs in and through the front part of the gearbox for the main oil line to the engine oil cooler. The fluid that leaks out of the o-ring is actually engine oil, not gearbox oil. The o-rings can be replaced, but it can be a bit of a bear to get this part out of the gearbox. 

2. With SEBECO having just taken over ownership of the program from Elan, I would advise holding off on the diffuser until the new aero package is launched. 

Thanks.