Water Injection

chucktoo

Hi

I am building a Factory Five challenge car that I expect will run SU because of all the modification. Larger engine 5.5l , supercharger , revised suspension , big brakes and tires.

I would like to run water injection since the Kenne Bell supercharger I am using does not lend it's self to an intercooler.

I would run a 50-50 miture of water and methanol - windshield washer fluid.

Reading the CCR it looks like I do not need braded lines but I plan to run them any way.

I would store the fluid in the trunk - does this tank need to be a fuel cell ?

Can it be a plastic tank since windshiled washer fluid is non-flamible ?

The CCR is not clear and any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks Charlie

If you are using Aquamist watch the length of the run since you plan to install it in the trunk. Most people just use a windshield washer res. for the mixture under the hood to keep the water supply close to the pump. Hopefully this will pass tech.

Many WRX's are burning up the aquamist pump due to lack of water. The new Aquamist system i believe has a safety feature built in to save the pump when water is low or not flowing ast enough. However, then you'll be on track with no water and a lot of boost and high cylinder temps. Not a good thing. Dont trust a little red LED to tell you that either. You'll never see it on track.

/Greg

If the hose is run internal to the car's interior, the hose has to be metal or braided according to the CCR.

I don't think the bottle has to be a fuel cell because it isn't fuel.

Thanks for the input.

I will be running a coolmist system - it makes more sense than aquamist for a big Ford V8. It is easier to interface with the PMS engine management I will be runing.

I am planning on a 4-5 gal tank which is a little large for engine compartment.

The water line will be braided next to the 4" chassis rail outside passanger compartment.

I hope I can use a plastic tank but it is not clear.

Charlie

Reading the CCR it looks like I do not need braded lines but I plan to run them any way.

15.14 Hoses Inside Cockpit

All hoses carrying any liquids or any gases that go through the cockpit must be metal or steel braided. Any hoses that carry cold water, such as washer fluid, cool suit, etc. are exempt from this rule.

Unless you are pumping in hot water (I guess that would defeat the cooling purpose ), then steel braided would not be needed.

Thanks Dave

I will use braided hose - it is good practice.

What I am trying to figureout is the 5 gal water/methanol tank in the trunk.

It will have foam inside to baffle the water for turns - the question is a plastic enclosure or a metal enclosure ? If it was gas then metal I know is required. For windshiled washer fluid I am not sure ?

Thanks Charlie

wiper fluid is only about 1% methanol, not 50% methanol. I would be at least a little concerned about flamability. At least make sure it is stored so that the methanol can't flash off from the water due to an exhaust pipe close by.

Thanks for the inputs.

To avoid any tech inspect issues I got a Fuel Safe Enduro cell.

I was only a few hundred more than the plastic cell and should non-controversial.

Thanks

Charlie

Ps 1% methanol washer fluid would freeze at about 30 deg F not the -25 deg F for the stuff they sell in colder areas does.