Newbie Miata and Mid-Atlantic Questions

MiltonP

I have a new, to me, 92 Miata in the shop to get checked out and prepped for HPDE and eventual TT. I live 15 miles from Summit Point but don't see any mention of TT on the Mid-Atlantic website. The Southeast seems to have their act together so I will probably be heading in that direction for TT when I am ready. Anybody know of TT plans in the Mid-Atlantic?

TT seems to be the most flexible class of competition but I figure I should list my initial planned equipment list to see if anyone thinks I am making any glaring mistakes. I have worked with 3 shops in this area to come up with the following package.

Hard Dog Hard Core Dual Diagonal (non-hard-top model for extra height)

Kirkeys Intermediate Road Race Seats (not FIA but popular in Spec here)

Sparco 6 point harnesses (pull-up)

Koni / Ground Control Coil-over Package

JR Sway Bars and Racing Beat Front Brace

MazdaSpeed End Links

Appreciate the feedback especially if something listed is going to give me problems passing tech. Thanks and look forward to meeting you guys at the track.

I have a new, to me, 92 Miata in the shop to get checked out and prepped for HPDE and eventual TT. [portions edited out] I have worked with 3 shops in this area to come up with the following package.

Koni / Ground Control Coil-over Package

JR Sway Bars and Racing Beat Front Brace

MazdaSpeed End Links

Appreciate the feedback especially if something listed is going to give me problems passing tech. Thanks and look forward to meeting you guys at the track.

Can't comment on the HPDE tech, because I am not that familiar with the roll bar. It you plann on running the car open, you might want to check the rules to confirm that the roll bar is high enough.

As for TT, the 2006 rules should be out later today. You havent' commented on the tires that you plan to use, or whether any mods will be done to he engine (even something as simple as intake adds points).

Nevertheless, it would appear that under the 2005 rules, you would be placed in TT-E based on the following.

Miata 1.6 = F* or base F class plus 5 points.

coil over w/ Koni: +7

sway bars: +2

front brace: +1

seats: +1 (unless required with roll bar)

Adding 11 points would push you into E. Check the new rules to determine your actual class. Also, if you are new to HPDE, it may take you a year or more to move up to TT. It is possible that there will be additional rull changes for 2007.

Thanks for the response. Due to other commitments, I don't expect to qualify for TT until 2007 so I am just trying to avoid any major errors at this point. I will be using the hardtop in addition to the rollbar. I went for the standard Hard Core due to its additional height.

I anticipate adding a JR intake and Racing Beat 4-1 exhaust system by the time I get to HPDE 2.

In addition to the items previously mentioned I added an Exedy clutch, balanced flywheel, and aluminum dual-core radiator during the initial track prep taking place now at PBC. The brakes are also getting updated. I will use the current AVS ES100 tires for the initial track days I attend. I am also removing the AC, power steering and soft-top framework to reduce weight.

Hey - welcome aboard from another Miata guy!

I have been doing track days with NASA for the last three years or so and then Time Trials for the last two years. All in all, a great group that you can learn alot from.

Overall your safety equipment sounds good to me. With the rollbar and race seat you should be under it unless you're pretty tall. Also don't forget good harnesses and arm restraints - some groups require that you run arm restraints in an open top car (not sure if you have the hard top yet or not). Since you're doing HPDE, you should probably have the same safety equipment available for the instructor as well.

In terms of car performance/preparation, I kind of just did "whatever" I wanted to my car over the years and ended up somewhat with a mess. If I was prepping a Miata all over again - I would keep a close eye on the Spec Miata specifications and try to mirror those. Why? Then as you progress you can eyeball their lap times as a target. Spec Miata has proven to be a fast formula as well.

Spec Miata type things to look at - spring rates, rollbar stiffness (although I might even skip the upgraded rollbars if you're running stiff spring rates), engine modification limitations (you could skip the header), brakes, etc. Only qualification I might make to that - if you plan to street drive the car at all the SM spring rates can be a little stiff. Full Spec Miata specifications at http://www.specmiata.com.

If you have any other particular Miata questions just ask - seriously they are great, reliable cars to drive on track!

- Mark

Appreciate the feedback especially if something listed is going to give me problems passing tech.

Plan on finding a way to fix the seat back to the cage. Per the CCR, an inspector could require you to have a seat back brace since you have changed the seat and added a roll bar.

Even if you aren't dinged for it in HPDE, it's a good idea with an aluminum seat.

Plan on finding a way to fix the seat back to the cage.

Interesting - is this typically required even with Miata's? I guess I need to look closely in some of the SM's next time I'm at the track.

Reason I'm asking - I was told by an inspector at some point that this wasn't needed as the back of the seat rests against the rear bulkhead of the car in the Miata.

- Mark

I live 15 miles from Summit Point but don't see any mention of TT on the Mid-Atlantic website. The Southeast seems to have their act together so I will probably be heading in that direction for TT when I am ready. Anybody know of TT plans in the Mid-Atlantic?

For '06 TT details, please contact Mid-A director Chris Cobetto at 804-275-3332 or [email protected]

I know he's very interested in putting TT's together for the '06 season.

Hope it helps-

Jon