ST4 Aero with replaced fascia

RoxFatal

Hello,

I have read the rules and other posts but wanted some clarification.  From the current 2020 rules:

5) Modified BTM, non-Base Trim Model (non-BTM), or replaced front fascia

(unless specifically approved in Appendix B):

i) May have nothing attached to it other than specifically allowed items above.

ii) May not have canards/winglets molded into it.

iii) Any item that is molded into the fascia during the original manufacturing process that functions as an airfoil, deflector, dive plane, or vortex generator and extends 2" or more past the outline of the immediate surrounding fascia is prohibited. To inspect: a plumb line run across the entire surface of the fascia and bumper shall not have any such item that extends 2" past the line when viewed from above.

Is a "replaced" front fascia a new custom fascia that is not the OEM bumper?  If I do make a custom fascia I am also confused by ii) vs iii).  From ii) Canards are not allowed to be molded into the facia.  From iii) dive planes can be molded into the fascia as long as they do not extend more than 2.  Which is it?  Can I make a fascia with less than 2" dive planes and deflectors molded into a custom front fascia?  

Thanks! 

Edited by RoxFatal
clarification

• National Staff

The rule was written for aftermarket fascias that are manufactured and sold publicly as a way to not completely exclude some cars that had these (especially for TT).  Canards are winglets, and are not permitted.  Dive planes are similar, but are essentially any surface that face forward and angle upward. 

Hello Greg thanks for the reply.  I am running a ST4 Miata and as you probably are already aware many are using an airdam that is custom built using materials readily available.  The splitters are also custom built from materials readily available.  Are molded dive planes less than 2" allowed with this setup?  I have seen custom designed fascia/splitters on the BMWs on track already.

• National Staff
6 hours ago, RoxFatal said:

Hello Greg thanks for the reply.  I am running a ST4 Miata and as you probably are already aware many are using an airdam that is custom built using materials readily available.  The splitters are also custom built from materials readily available.  Are molded dive planes less than 2" allowed with this setup?  I have seen custom designed fascia/splitters on the BMWs on track already.

No, the term "during original manufacturing" is referencing from on OEM or perhaps a mass-produced aftermarket company.  You are not a "manufacturer" when you are making a custom piece.