Hood sealing

RoxFatal

Hello,

I have hood vents installed for cooling and would like to make them more efficient.  My hood does not seal around the edges very well especially near the windshield.  The area where the hood meets the windshield is a high pressure zone and is forcing air back into my engine bay which upsets the airflow out of my vents.  To resolve this I would like to modify my hood to close the gap and seal between the hood and windshield.  It is quite a bit of work to accomplish this so I wanted to make sure it was allowed first.  In the rules it says we can modify the hood for venting but is it ok to modify the hood to improve the venting performance?

Thanks

What car and class? If it started as a street car, street cars typically have a cowl between the hood and windshield. If yours was removed, maybe re-install it? I doubt installing an OE trim piece would violate the rules.

On 3/4/2020 at 4:16 PM, RoxFatal said:

NB Miata ST4.  There is a cowl but wipers are removed and the hood does not seal.

Be great to find out.

• National Staff

It would be okay to put weather stripping on the underside of the hood to seal where it contacts the vehicle.  However, putting tape over the hood's seam with the vehicle would not be a "hood" modification, and would be an Aero Mod that is not permitted.  Could you imagine if it had to become "standard practice" for every driver/crew to have to re-tape an entire hood every time the motor needed to be accessed?   So, I'm not sure what the O.P. had in mind, but it likely would be considered as an Aero Mod that is not listed, as opposed to a "Hood" modification for venting.