Any experience with C7 Corvette harness addition?

Kaitlin

Hi,

I have a C7 Corvette that I run in time trials.  It is currently stock, but it seems like a roll bar/half cage and harnesses would be a prudent next step.  However, I’m having a heck of a time finding what harnesses and roll bar options could work with the existing safety aspects (airbags, etc).  I know I need 5 or 6 pt harnesses, but can those be installed to the stock anchor points?  If anyone has experience with harnesses in a C7, please let me know!

• National Staff

You should use some kind of roll bar with a harness bar, and there are lots on the market. I'm not an expert, so I won't recommend one. The critical point is anchoring the anti-submarine belts because of the way the floor is constructed on C5-C7 Corvettes. If I'm not mistaken, it's made of balsa wood sandwiched between two thin sheets of metal. I don't think that would make a solid anchor point for antisubmarine straps. 

Schroth has published some good guidelines at the link below. They don't address the anti-sub straps, but it's good information. I have used Schroth harnesses and I can recommend them without reservation. 

https://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Competition_Instructions.pdf

I have heard of guys attaching the antisub straps to the factory lap belt anchor points and running the straps on top of the seat rather than up through an opening in an aftermarket seat. That might be a good solution if you are keeping the stock seat. I don't know where you're located, but you should find a shop that has experience Corvette racecars and rely on their expertise.