First Club League Event Qualifying Issues

Alex Schwartzenberger

I agree with John. Great stuff, put together basically for free (minus your annual membership). Assuming you should get anything more than the 2 dropped races already guaranteed seems like a stretch, as no one won anything real except the top 5. If you were running consistent 33s or 34s, I understand the frustration, but nothing was guaranteed for those that were doing that anyway. 

The rest of us got nothing more than a fun, or for some, a frustrating race. Which for free, the qualifying was fun enough for me at that price. Also, your time invested wasn’t wasted, seat time is seat time and likely some of it will translate to the next race. 

9 more races to go, just have to improve the process so it doesn’t happen again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
nateolson

Yep, I agree with John's sentiment. I really appreciate all the time and effort put into organizing all this (for free!!!!). It's great to be on a track (albeit virtual) with our NASA friends and family.

I just hope my posts were helpful and pointed out some solutions to the issues faced Tuesday night.

• Members
4 hours ago, Alex Schwartzenberger said:

I agree with John. Great stuff, put together basically for free (minus your annual membership). Assuming you should get anything more than the 2 dropped races already guaranteed seems like a stretch, as no one won anything real except the top 5. If you were running consistent 33s or 34s, I understand the frustration, but nothing was guaranteed for those that were doing that anyway. 

The rest of us got nothing more than a fun, or for some, a frustrating race. Which for free, the qualifying was fun enough for me at that price. Also, your time invested wasn’t wasted, seat time is seat time and likely some of it will translate to the next race. 

9 more races to go, just have to improve the process so it doesn’t happen again. 

Alex, I don't think posts explaining to us that it was "free" do any thing other than increase the frustration level and implies a huge lack of empathy - intended or not. Only the entry fee was free. Besides the disappointment and frustration, you don't know what went into getting ready for the race for every person. Personally, I had to signup for iRacing and buy the track, which cost actual money. I also drove a bunch of practice laps and moved a meeting, which had opportunity cost. I also was one of the first 40 to sign up and told people to watch. I had to go explain to them what happened, which was awkward for me and embarrassing for NASA.

I want to say that I'm very appreciative of Will's and NASA's response and I'm confident that they'll figure this out for the next events. I want to see this be successful.

• Like 1

Regarding the process,  I found it very anxiety-inducing to sit in front of my computer constantly hitting refresh on my email. Can't imagine doing that for almost 1hr, with my life on hold, to see if I'll get to continue racing on. It's just not a great experience...

I've never setup a hosted event, but I believe it is possible in iRacing to set up a "tournament" where the top X number of drivers (from different lobbies even) are automatically moved on to the next round. Everyone gets near instant confirmation, no CSV manipulation, no emails, no passwords...

• Like 1
Marcelo Vine

First of all... my thanks to Nasa and Will for putting this together.  On this weird times...  glad to be part of virtual racing with all of you.

I qualified 3rd for the "fake" race... and finished 2nd... then went out to qualify and my session was over before I could attempt a lap.  Then I was at the back of the grid to start the main event. Lap one someone spun in front.... I moved to the right to try to avoid but I got hit on the side.  The damage in the car cause me to spin... and went into the pits with a tow.  Race over for me.  I did continue to drive around and finished the race.  Still had a blast!!

My 2 cents:  iracing already has a winning formula for the events they create... when it comes to qualify... you get 2 laps to get a clean lap with 0 incidents.... the winning formula here is that you are on you own.

You could create the practice/ quali session where everybody is on track (1hour?  or 45 mins?)... then based on that session you can determine who gets the 2 clean alone quali laps... then the race based on your best time of those 2 laps based on iracing rules (0 incidents).

And last... lets do a race with an inverted start... maybe just for FUN...  we do this in So Cal Region and we have done this with the Arizona region when we have events together.... it is a blast!

And finally last... I have been doing iracing for 10 months or so... the MX5 with the new tire model is not an easy car to drive... it is very loose... so I do understand why most of us will spin,  or hit someone without intention,  and make mistakes.  Specially when we have people new to sim racing.  So we should go easy on our fellow Nasa drivers trying this.  I am willing to help the newbies... reach out to me and I can share what I know... we can do sessions together, etc.  There are other NASA drivers that will have more knowledge than me on this,  but I am willing to share what I know.  I will taking to Will to donate a Logitech G29 I have (pedals and shifter included) for a sim racing rookie.

Thanks again...  and best wishes to all of you.

Marcelo Vine

• Like 3
Matthew Medina

Based on the email communication from Will I’m still not sure that the organizers realize a large # of people did complete a clean lap during qualifying but were excluded from the race. As others have pointed out, iRacing only counts clean laps and we had several in our session that made clean laps but didn’t make it into the race.

Can we get confirmation that this has been addressed?

Matt

• Like 1
  • Members
21 minutes ago, Matthew Medina said:

Based on the email communication from Will I’m still not sure that the organizers realize a large # of people did complete a clean lap during qualifying but were excluded from the race. As others have pointed out, iRacing only counts clean laps and we had several in our session that made clean laps but didn’t make it into the race.

Can we get confirmation that this has been addressed?

Matt

Matt, 

To address this we added a 3rd drop to the championship and will be sure to compile the results properly in the future by adding more time between knockout qualifying and the race. This is the email I sent to the participants from last week:

Hello NASA iRacers!

Thank you all for participating in our inaugural Sim race!

I had no idea it would be this well received. We had some really awesome competition and great driving. The battle for the lead was pretty epic as were many battles throughout the field. As there often is in racing, there were some incidents. Our Race Director, Clifton Winkleman (copied here), is reviewing the incidents and we will notify penalized drivers before we post results. As soon as we finalize results we will post a link to the official results in the forum and drivers can file to claim contingency. 

Some great stats from the race in no particular order:
- 97 entries! 
- The livestream post on NASA's facebook account has been seen by almost 60k people!
- As of today 9.5k people have watched some portion of the livestream! 
- Over 250 people were watching live at any given time throughout the broadcast! 
- $875 available to redeem in Toyo Bucks throughout the Top 5! 
- $400 available to redeem in Hawk Bucks throughout the Top 5! 

I made a huge mistake making the grid for the main. I detailed my flustered mistakes in a forum post HERE. Feel free to read and/or chime in there. I'm very sorry to the 13 drivers that mistakenly did not make the main qualifying as well as everybody else that had a shortened qualifying run for the main due to taking so long to get the password sent out. There are a few solutions to make sure the evening goes smoother in future races. 

1) Lengthen the evening with a longer intermission by about 30 minutes to make sure the top 60 has an opportunity to get into the main session hassle free. 
2) Add a short practice to the main. 
3) Add the use of Discord App. (more on this later in the forums, but you should go ahead and download this to your Sim PC in the meantime) 
4) Add a 3rd drop to the championship. 
5) Clearer registration times. Registration will open on the Tuesday before the Club leagues at 10AM PST, 1PM EST and close on Monday, the day before the race at 10AM PST, 1PM EST or when the league night fills up at its maximum entries for that track. (56-59 for the rest of the tracks we have on the schedule

Please take some time this week to make sure your name in your NASA profile, iRacing, and Discord are exactly the same. That will greatly help us manage the qualifying results. 

We looked at many other options and weighed the pros and cons of each and feel that these are the best solutions to better this league and continue to give many people some great racing action every other week. 

Registration for the NASA Pro Sim Racing League at COTA this coming Tuesday, 4/14/20 is open HERE, already has 47 entries, and will be capped at 58 entries. If the Pro League isn't for you, we hope you'll join us for the next round at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca for Race 2 of the NASA Club Sim Racing League! 

As always, we're happy to hear any and all input to keep this a fun place to race for all. Don't hesitate to call or write. 

Cheers!