In the car timer

Buzz

For TT you need to use an AMB Transponder - just like the racers. AMB makes an in-car display to go along with it but it's not cheap!

http://www.amb-it.com/shop/amer/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_24&osCsid=7beb2ca23c5b9b5db81a7b480ead6092

Alternately, you could get a HotLap In-Car timer to go with your AMB transponder. (most NASA Regions will rent you the AMB unit). The times on my HotLap are usually pretty close to what my official race times are.

Here's the HotLap: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/hotlap.htm

I would recommend getting the HotLap unit that does NOT include the transmitter. I have never been at an event where someone didn;t put one out before I did.

• National Staff

I assume you guys use AMB transponders for racing, right? It doesn't make sense to use anything else for Time Trial. A TT Director does not have the time to visit 30-40 cars as they exit the track each session, check their transponder for best time, write it down, and also verify that there weren't any type of irregularities in the times obtained. I am not familiar enough with the unit to know how it can be cheated, but I imagine that any unit that is in the driver's compartment, with it's function buttons accessible on the track, that does not transmit data to a computer to collect it in real time, can be cheated. The 2006 TT rules call for the use of the AMB transponder, the same as for racers. My job would be 200% more difficult at the track if it were otherwise.

However, the guys that already own these timers are a step ahead, because they now have a simple data acquisition tool to show them their lap times while driving.

Edited by Guest

I assume you guys use AMB transponders for racing, right? It doesn't make sense to use anything else for Time Trial. A TT Director does not have the time to visit 30-40 cars as they exit the track each session, check their transponder for best time, write it down, and also verify that there weren't any type of irregularities in the times obtained. I am not familiar enough with the unit to know how it can be cheated, but I imagine that any unit that is in the driver's compartment, with it's function buttons accessible on the track, that does not transmit data to a computer to collect it in real time, can be cheated. The 2006 TT rules call for the use of the AMB transponder, the same as for racers. My job would be 200% more difficult at the track if it were otherwise.

Greg, I don't know about THIS guy, but I'm planning on running an AMB transponder AND a lap timer at some point. It's far less expensive to get the AIM or this other one than it is to buy the AMB display unit. PLUS, if you're running or testing at a track where there's no timing or scoring, the AMB display will not work.

I have an older XT timer (similar to the AIM or MyCron) and have been happy with it. I'm considering the AMB timer, because it's the time the AMB system sees.

I recommend the AIM unit for simple timing, better and cheaper than the Hot lap units.

• 4 months later...
I'm curious if there are any other opinions on the XT Ultra Lap versus the AIM MyChron Light.

I have the ultra lap, never used the mychron. BUT, I would HIGHLY suggest you get a GPS based solution, no transmitter to setup and you get segmented times on ANY segment, G-force data and loads of other information for just a tad more $$$. Currently I run the ultra lap and AMB transponder for official times, eventually I'll get some fancy GPS unit.

I'm curious if there are any other opinions on the XT Ultra Lap versus the AIM MyChron Light.

I have the ultra lap, never used the mychron. BUT, I would HIGHLY suggest you get a GPS based solution, no transmitter to setup and you get segmented times on ANY segment, G-force data and loads of other information for just a tad more $$$. Currently I run the ultra lap and AMB transponder for official times, eventually I'll get some fancy GPS unit.

Yep,

Totally agree with you, but we're talking $250 versus $1,000.

Yep,

Totally agree with you, but we're talking $250 versus $1,000.

Take a look at either the recent or the previous GrassRoots rag, pretty sure they tested some GPS timers in the $500 range. I have my copies at work I'll try and look tomorrow as well.

To play with the TT group you would want to invest in the AMB, but other wise we find no problems with the Ulta Lap unit the past 2 years. Outside of Nasa we enjoy 5 other track organizations with many members using the Ultra Lap over the Hot Lap set up. Have seen more people move to the Ultra Lap with no complaints and like the extra features it offers. Good construction, easy to use, and I've never missed a lap time yet. We put the transmitter on a camera tripod and place it at the start finish line and check to see if anyone else has placed one on the track or not. Several transmitters (in split time mode) placed in different areas of a track are nice to get split times for information showing if you are improving in certain areas of the track and still record over all lap times too. Thumbs up here!

• 2 years later...

I use the Micro Pod Lite built by RLC Racing, there gps system is awesome! Sure worth looking at for under $1000 because you get a system that looks and works way better then any AIM or beacon system. First, the casing is made out of anodized billet aluminum (really nice), they have split lap timing (TT), predictive lap timing, track mapping, syn. video with chase cam, and huge amounts of memory (2GB standard). Bad ass system take a look for yourself not to mention they have a 30-day money back guarantee.

www.rlcracing.com