Sign in to follow this  
Masterclue1988

New guy

Masterclue1988

Hello,

I am thinking of joining NASA, and since I live east of Kansas City, I will be joining the Central Region. I've been lurking and reading for a while now, and I have decided I want to go racing again. In college I ran in SCCA events in North Carolina with an 02 Trans Am. For 2 years I worked with Top Fuel dragsters after college, and once the economy tanked in 08, I stepped away from racing. The bug has bitten me again, and I am thinking HPDE would be a good place to start over. I currently have a Porsche 944s that I could use. My main question is; can the car be used without any major modifications (IE roll cage, etc), and if it can't, what all would it need? Eventually I want to build a true race car for ST or SU, but for now I think I'll start small.

Jon

kpearson

Hello and welcome!

For HPDE, all you need is a car that has functional OEM safety equipment (i.e. 3pt seat belt), working brake lights, no dripping fluids, no worn out tires or brakes, and a SA rated helmet.  You don't need to, and shouldn't go all out modding your car to get started.  :)

The next event is in June:

https://drivenasacentral.com/schedule/

If you have more question, post them up!  I would also recommend that as you get to the point of wanting to move into racing, it will be cheaper and easier to find a race car that is already built.  If you really enjoy 944's, there is a racing division called 944Spec.  You can find those race cars for sale for around $10k.  To turn a street car into a race car, you'll pay half that amount just for the cage.

• Like 1

427R

NASA HPDE is perfect for those just stating out in road racing or even those getting back into it after a while.  As skills and experience improve, desire for more may come a knocking and there's lots of avenues available and they're all at your pace.

Masterclue1988

Thank you guys for the welcome! I will post questions as I come up with them. As far as a race car goes, I am getting ready to start a kit car project and I thought it might be fun to build it into a race car rather than a kit car. It will take some time to build, so I'm not in a huge hurry. Does NASA have rules governing space frame chassis?

Tansar_Motorsports

A kit car would be considered a "non-production" car, which essentially means that your options are ST3, ST2, ST1, and SU.

It can be difficult to be competitive in those classes with a non-production car, because you will take a small penalty (less hp and/or more weight).  Also, kit cars can have some downsides compared to production cars.  For example, a kit car probably won't have ABS, while some of your competitors will have very good modern ABS systems that work well in a race environment.  Also, kit car bodies don;t tend to be as aerodynamic as they look, unfortunately.

However, there is a class for spec factory five cobra kits, if that interests you.

What kit did you have in mind?

Masterclue1988

At first I was leaning to and looking at the RCR 917 or their Lola T70, but since I'm 6'2" I figured I wouldn't fit in the 917. Instead I have a 3d scan of a Mclaren P1 that I can turn into a full sized body. I just haven't decided to build it for the street or track yet. I am planning on using as many off the shelf components to as I can, including an ABS system, LS based engine, control arms, suspension, etc. I'm still in the planning stages at the moment.