CMC SN95 Mustang Question

Depaja

Reposting from the general question forum:

========================================================

Can I run the "Ford Spec Carbureted Engine Option" 5.0 engine combo in my 1998 Mustang GT?

I'm confused by the eligible list:

4. Eligible Manufacturers/Models/Configurations
1979-95 Ford Mustang with 5.0 V8 including 1993-1995 Cobra (1993 and 1995 Cobra R models
1996-2004 Ford Mustang with 4.6 2valve V8

The reason I'm confused is the years 1994 through 1998 are the same body style, in fact the lowest number of years 

of one Mustang body style. The 1994 and 1995 had the 5.0 and the 96 thru 98 had the 4.6. I would think that I'd be able to backdate 

into an engine spec. within the same body style, but it looks like I can't. I see by this:

6.4 Allowed Body components and Update/Backdate of Body Components
Unless specified elsewhere in these rules, body components of only the models listed below may be
used. OEM body components, unit body, and subframes may be updated/backdated only within the
years, make and model groups as follows.

4. 1994-1998 Mustang base model, GT, Cobra

That I'm able to update/backdate body components, but not the engine seems odd?

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

-Mike

Mike

Yes you can update and backdate. The carbed engine needs to meet the spec engine requirements. Some combinations you cannot update and backdate such as the carbed engine into the fouth gen GM. This is due to the heavy modifications needed to fit the carb under the cowl/ windshield. Hope this helps. What region are you in?

Bob Denton

CMC Great lakes

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info! This is great news as I really wanted to build to the 302 carb spec. I guess the line that threw me was #4 Eligible Manufacturers/Models/Configurations line. It looks to me like I had to build to the 96-04 4.6 spec since those years are on a line by themselves, away from the 79-95 line.

I see the line about the update / backdate of the GM cars now, so that makes sense.

I have a 302 that I can build and was not really thrilled with the idea of building with my 4.6, I'd rather go carb and I like that there is an engine build I can follow.

SCCA American Sedan also has a "Full Prep" carb spec. engine option, but they allow way more options on building it, hence a higher cost. I really prefer the close to stock build in CMC over A/S.

This gives me a direction and when done I'll work my way up with some autocross, Evo school, track classes or NASA HPDE working toward my license. I'm retired and want a project to keep me busy and away from the computer and TV.

I'm in the Southeast, in Atlanta, so “Road A" the goal.

Thanks again for the help Bob,

Cheers,

-Mike