Lithium iron battery clarification

weenrock

I am moving to tt4 with my s2000 and need to drop a lot of weight. I just bought a lithium iron phosphate battery - safer than lithium ion. Rules state "Lithium ion batteries must be outside of the passenger area of the vehicle." Since this is lithium phosphate, does the rule still apply to lithium phosphate batteries?

I don't have room in my engine compartment. Would using an aluminum battery box in the passenger Compartment be allowed? 

Cheers!

Eric

20210122_235840.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • National Staff

Hi Eric, thanks for your question. This is the response from the NASA National office:

The CCR is very clear about Lithium Ion batteries. Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are different and not specified. While caution and common sense should always be used, there is no indication in the CCR that the Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries cannot be treated like all other batteries.

If located in the driver/passenger compartment, a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery should be enclosed and secured in a battery box.