Digital Mirror System (DMS) from John Freund Racing

tsiawd666

Hi All, my name is John Freund and I've been a long time HPDE and time trial driver with NASA Mid-Atlantic.  I recently made available a new product that I've had in use in my car for a number of years with great success and am slowly making it available on a made to order basis.  

The product is my Digital Mirror System.  Like digital systems you've seen for a few years now in use by professional race teams and now even trickling down to commercial cars this system provides high resolution digital cameras that can be connected to any HDMI display for live high framerate views outside your car.  The DMS can be used for both side or rear view, with two camera styles each suited to a particular use.  Various mount styles are available including surface and roll bar mounts with articulating arms, and customized solutions are available as well (example:  roof mounted shark fin enclosure).  I also have available my own high quality 7" display that works very well with the system.  The general idea is you place the cameras to provide the view needed with overlapping FOV

An American Endurance Racing (AER) driver and tester of mine recently had this to say about the system with his rear camera mounted on the roof:

"It is a game changer seeing how close the competition is to your bumper. Something an in car mirror can not do. The biggest advantage is having the ability to block the rear window during night races. Keeping competitors lights out of the car and only on the screen was a huge advantage and makes this investment an easy choice!"

Key benefits to the system are:

• 1080p@30fps Non-Fisheye Camera - High Quality Video to see what's around you clearly, and is weather resistant.  No Fisheye lenses here so that you have a clear view of what's behind and beside your car.  Other "backup" camera systems use fisheye lenses, do not truly output 1080p (most are 480i), and have backup guides that you don't want for a digital mirror.
  • Get Rid of Physical Mirrors - Mirrors leave blind spots, aftermarket mirrors are often a bit wavy and can knock out of alignment easily, and they can't see through big wings.  Cameras eliminate all these issues!  Also, OEM side view mirrors can account for up to 5% total drag on vehicles!
  • Reduces Blind Spots to a minimum - Using a full system with side and rear DMS allow you to virtually eliminate blind spots.  Race safely with full awareness around your car!
  • Automatic Video Recording - dashcam-like recording with periodic video rolling and automated looping.  Can be disabled.  Video only, no sound.
  • Fast boot time - boots to a mirror display in ~7 seconds
  • 12V Powered - Designed for a car, these run off a typical car 12V electrical system.
  • Reconfigurable - Each DMS can be used for Side or Rear view by simply changing a setting via the USB drive, and thus are interchangeable or physical jumper.  Useful if you want to keep a backup unit on hand, you only need one to cover all DMS.
  • Multiple Camera Styles - Both a tall and thin design ideal for the rear, and a long and short design ideal for side view positions.  
  • Multiple Mount options - Comes with a license plate bracket by default, attached with 3M exterior tape, but this can be swapped with GoPro or even RAM style mounting if needed.  Your choice, we can include either, or neither.  We also offer roll cage and surface mounts for both!
  • Customizable - Camera can be oriented as needed with mounts on top or bottom (specified in the ordering options so we can configure the software accordingly).  Also case and camera lettering can be customized, including graphics, if desired (let us know in the order notes during checkout).  I even can make a roof mounted shark fin enclosure for a rear camera (provides a view that shows the corners, great for blocking passing attempts).  Some customizations require extra costs which we can discuss.
  • Dimmer Switch - Includes optional input that can be wired to a switch to activate software controlled brightness for the display.  Useful when driving at night.
  • Easy Updates via USB Drive - simply place software updates on your drive, insert into your DMS, and upon next power up they will automatically install.
  • Collision Avoidance System upgrade in testing now - Radar detection of high speed vehicles coming from behind with on-screen alerts.  Critical information in multi-class racing or in time attack when you're cruising while someone behind is on a hot lap.  

The system is available for $250 before shipping which includes the camera and core system though price is subject to change.  Displays are separate so that you can utilize one on your own or purchase them separately, though I do have a 7" high resolution IPS LCD display with optional sun shade that work very well with the system in all lighting scenarios.

You may read more and/or order your DMS here:  https://www.jfracing.net/p/dms

VideoCapture_20200130-205828.jpg