HPDE Levels - Time Limit to complete?

rc1

Hey all, new here doing research on how to do all this.

Once you complete the HPDE 1 level, is there a time frame you have to complete levels 3-4 like within 1 year to be licensed? or do you just stay at the last level you completed until you do the next level?

How long does is usually take people with jobs and rent to complete 4 levels and get licensed? i understand you could do back to back sessions but i dont think the average person can line them up like that without lots of travel and expense. not looking to go pro but being able to travel and safely compete when i can would be cool. also thinking it opens up options for more tracks, track days, race events and other things like that.

thanks all!

cool thanks. I must have read it wrong i thought there was a time limit to complete each level. appreciate the input. im not looking to compete immediately though that is the ultimate goal. I would be fine just ripping around the track right now first or last. It seems having the comp license opens up more opportunities for events and clubs that cater more towards the experienced drivers.

Yep, accelerate (pun ?) at your pace with instructors concurrence.  You may find spending more time in DE 3 and or 4 to be valuable.  Moving into TT and race classes, is an eye opener.

I moved from HPDE1 to a comp license fairly quickly (went to every event for 18 months). Once I got to the point of no instructor in the car and a comp license I realized I really didn't have as much instruction as I would have preferred. I now do quite well but it likely I would have continued to progress faster had I stayed with in-car instruction longer.

My point is, don't rush it!

Each region is a little different. The events are often about a month apart so for me, getting to every one was not that difficult.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 10:23 AM, t500hps said:

My point is, don't rush it!

Agree totally.  Upon moving from DE3 to 4, I realized quickly, I wasn't ready, needed more seat time, so I stayed in DE3 for another year.  Afterwards, I felt much better about moving into DE4, more knowledgeable and confident.  Stayed in DE4 for a good while before moving to TT, which is more than meeting my expectations and challenges.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but chiming in because this forum is a ghost town. I was in HPDE1 for 4 sessions (2 days) then graduated to 2. I was in 2 for 6 sessions and took the ride check to graduate to 3. I did one days so far in 3, and reverted back to 2, because I got a different car and wanted less pressure to perform. At the DE3 level, there's considerable pressure to keep up or get out of the way.... I'm fine with that, know my limits, and what I like about DE3 is I can jump into any prior level if I want to have fun vs feel pressured. In general I believe the gist is, stick with DE2 if you're just out to have some fun on the track. The drivers in 3/4 are focusing on comp so they get annoyed with anyone in their way.