2021 NASA Championships FAQ

Marie A.

• National Staff

Q: What is the name of the event?

A: NASA Championships presented by Toyo Tires.

Q: Which track configuration is being used?

A: Road Race Layout

Q: How do I qualify for the Championships?

A: 2021 Racing Requirements

• Five points paying races (or competing at 3 weekends).
  • Up to two TT points days count towards two of the 5 races
  • Enduro of any length three hours or more counts as two races
  • Any registered team member planning to compete must complete the qualifications individually.

2021 Time Trial Requirements

• Four TT points days
  • Racers who also want to compete in TT must meet the racing requirements plus the TT requirements. If utilizing two TT points days to qualify for racing requirements only an additional two TT points days are required to meet the TT requirements.

Q: Do I have to qualify for the Championships before I register?

A: No. You can register and then meet the requirements through out the remainder of the season. 

Q: What are the Track Limits for TT?
A:  The track limit for TT is the large white line present on much of the track.  In the bus stop, the track limit is the "turtles" if they are present, and the dirt/grass if they are not there. 

Q: When will registration open?

A: March of 2021

Q: What is the cancellation policy?

A: Easy Pay Option ($299) is NOT refundable. You may cancel but your deposit is forfeit. 

A Competitor may withdraw from the event and receive a refund by giving written notice of cancellation via email, no later than August 31st, 2021. The entry fee amount minus a $95 handling fee will be refunded. There will be no exceptions to this policy. Send cancellation notification to [email protected].

Q: What happens if there are less than 3 people registered for my class?

A: We will close registration on August 31st. All drivers who are registered by that time will be able to compete in their class so long as there are 3 drivers or more. If there are less than 3 drivers on August 31st the drivers will be contacted and given the option to switch classes or withdraw from the event. If drivers had more than 3 participants in their class at the two week mark but then in the two weeks leading up to the event other drivers cancel or switch classes we will allow all drivers that want to remain in that class (even if there are less than 3) to compete in their class. All drivers that switched or cancelled within the 2 weeks who did not actually drive at the event will be listed in the results as DNS or DNF. Any class changes after August 31st will require approval from the event director and the TT/ST director.

Q: How are number "rights" decided?

Whoever registers first will be granted rights to the number. If there are duplicate numbers that need to be addressed you will each receive an email stating who signed up first along with a request for the other participant to change their number. 

Q: Where can I find other NASA Rules and Forms?

A: Rules    Forms

Q: Where can I find the Schedule?

A: When the schedule is complete (Early August), it will be posted on the nasa championships website. 

Q: Will there be a test day?

A: Yes. Thursday September the 16th. Cost - $349

Q: Where can I find the list of people who have entered?

A:  Here

Q: I have entered but I need to correct the information that is showing for me on the entry list. Who do I contact?

A: Submit a request HERE and someone will get back to you ASAP.

Q: I paid for parking and I'd like to request a space next to another competitor. Who do I contact?

A: Submit a request HERE and someone will get back to you ASAP.

Q: Does Daytona have RV hookups?

A: Yes. They can be purchased on the registration page. 

Paved RV Lot - Includes power and water:

$149 – 40'X20' includes power and water - 1 Space

$249 - 40'X40' includes power and water - 2 Spaces

$329 - 40'X60' includes power and water - 3 Spaces

$399 - 40'X80' includes power and water - 4 Spaces

See a map of the RV lot HERE

Q: When can I arrive?

A: Anyone who arrives on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday prior to registration opening will need to stage in the grass lot just inside of Gate 40 off of S. Williamson Blvd. There is no power or water available. Plan accordingly. 

Q: When will event move in begin?

A: Move in will begin on Wednesday afternoon. Registration will open at 12:00pm. Priority entry will begin at 1pm and regular entry will begin at 3pm. 

Q: What are the registration hours and where is it located?

A: The NASA Registration building is located at Gate 40. It is on the left side as you pull through the gate. All participants and crew (and any guests of participants) will need to stop there to pick up wristbands, credentials and welcome packs. A spectator will simply need to reference your name at check in and they will receive a spectator wristband for entry. 

Wednesday: 12 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 9 p.m. 

Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Saturday: 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. 

Sunday: 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Q: What if I arrive and NASA registration is closed?

A: If you arrive outside the hours NASA registration is open, you will be required to park in the grass field at Gate 40 and wait until the NASA registration trailer opens to pick up the required credentials to enter the infield. After you receive your credentials, you will be able to access/leave the facility at any time during the event. Please plan your arrivals accordingly.

Q: When do I have to be out of the facility?

A: Competitors will be permitted to stay at the facility on Sunday night if needed. You will be asked to move from your paddock space inside the facility back into the grass lot next to gate 40. You must leave gate 40 by 12pm on Monday the 20th. 

Q: Can I camp in my trailer/RV in my parking space in front of my garage?

A: Yes. There is no power or water hookups, and the shower houses are not close. There will be one gate open in each garage area overnight. Once the track goes cold, the gate staff will not man it. It will be overnight roaming security and night watch on site. It’s up to the participants to police themselves in the garages.

Q: When and where is the drivers meeting?

A: A mandatory race drivers meeting will be held in the tech garages at 6:30pm Thursday evening after the test day concludes. TT drivers are encouraged to attend, but are not required. The Tech Garages are open blue garages 1-11. The Mandatory TT drivers meeting will be on Friday at 2:45pm at the Media Center. 

Q: Who will be providing tire service?

A: Track Day Tire 

Q: Is there fuel at Daytona?

A: Sunoco Racing Fuels are available at Daytona International Speedway located next to the blue garages. You will also see Sunoco pumps next to the yellow garages, but those will not be open. 98 unleaded and 112 leaded will be available. Both fuels are $9 per gallon and available via cash or credit card. Hours for the pumps are listed below.

Wednesday: 1pm - 6pm

Thursday: 7am - 6pm

Friday: 7am - 6pm

Saturday: 7am - 6pm

Sunday: 7am - 5pm

Q: Are dogs allowed at Daytona?

A: Yes, but they must be on a leash. Not allowed inside of the garages. 

Q: Will golf carts be available to rent?

A: Yes. Golf Cart reservations can be made by contacting National Carts at 800-940-8068. Please let them know it is for NASA Championships at Daytona. 

Q: Can I bring in my own Golf Cart?

A: Yes. You must fill out an application for a permit and pay the $250 Daytona fee. If you need an application please email [email protected]

Q: Can I ship directly to the facility?

A: If competitors are on site and able to sign for the items, then the address to Gate 40 is 257 S. Williamson Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114. 

If items are being sent and group/individual is not on site to accept, then it will need to go to the mailroom. Address is 1801 W. International Speedway Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114. Anything going to the mailroom must have a contact name, phone number and NASA event listed on the label. The mailroom is not on the property so competitors must be able to pick-up on their own.  Hours of the mailroom are Mon- Friday 8:30am- 4pm, it is not open weekends.  If competitors need to pick up on Sat or Sun then they should arrange for it to be sent and held at the local FedEx and UPS locations in Daytona Beach.

Q: What are the COVID protocols for the event?

A: NASA and Daytona are taking the safety of staff and competitors very seriously. We will be implementing Daytona International Speedway's COVID protocols, which will require masks/face coverings while in any indoor space. This will include the media center, registration, driver info, control/timing, etc. Outside areas we will encourage everyone to socially distance while discouraging hugs, shaking hands, etc. Please be responsible and keep the safety of everyone around you in mind as we take on this MASSIVE event with a lot of different comfort levels. Most importantly, we must employ these measures to continue operating the event.

Q: Are spectators allowed at the event?

A: This year we are heavily promoting this event to non NASA spectators and expect to have many on site during the event. With this in mind, please take special precautions to secure your belongings during the event.  Tickets have been printed and handed out all over the Daytona area. Anyone who shows up and does not know a registered NASA competitor will be asked to present their entry ticket and pay $20 for a parking pass. This will not apply to your family and guests. They will need to check in at our registration trailer and reference your name. They will then be provided a spectator wristband and parking pass free of charge.

Edited by Marie A.

• Marie A. pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Will a map of the garages and paid paddock spaces be made available prior to the opening of registration?

On 2/15/2021 at 3:48 PM, Marie A. said:

Q: What is the name of the event?

A: NASA Championships presented by Toyo Tires.

Q: Which track configuration is being used?

A: Road Race Layout

• Any registered team member planning to compete must complete the qualifications individually.

• Four TT points days
  • Racers who also want to compete in TT must meet the racing requirements plus the TT requirements. If utilizing two TT points days to qualify for racing requirements only an additional two TT points days are required to meet the TT requirements.

Q: Where can I find other NASA Rules and Forms?

A: Rules    Forms

Q: Where can I find the Schedule?

A: When the schedule is complete, it will be posted on the nasa championships website. 

Q: When will registration open?

A: March of 2021

• National Staff
On 3/8/2021 at 5:01 AM, Hard Code Racing said:

Will a map of the garages and paid paddock spaces be made available prior to the opening of registration?

Parking and garage maps are posted here. 

https://nasaproracing.com/admin/events/3522

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ajMQM1ivD9z-8EZq8CNigklgGSSNti4G/view?usp=sharing

Is there a refund policy?

Are paddock spaces (truck, trailer, race car) mandatory to purchase to work out of the trailer? Is there free parking?

2 hours ago, Sydwayz Racing said:

Can we get some details on what "RV Parking" means with regards to POWER?
Does 4 spaces side by side mean there are four 50 AMP connectors and four water spigots?  30 AMP connectors?  Less?

We need details to figure out how we want to team up.  

Confirmed.
4 spots means 4 spots side by side. 40' Long and 20' wide, EACH.   For a total of 40x80. 
And that means 4 power poles and 4 water hookups.

• Like 1

Will we be able to move out/leave the track Monday morning?  Or must we be gone from the track Sunday night?

• Like 1

Do any crew passes come with entry registration? Or, do they have to be purchased in addition to the entry registration? I see there is an option to purchase additional passes.

7 hours ago, Matt Engel said:

Will we be able to move out/leave the track Monday morning?  Or must we be gone from the track Sunday night?

second this question.   

• National Staff
On 3/15/2021 at 12:15 PM, Nick Harwood said:

Is there a refund policy?

Are paddock spaces (truck, trailer, race car) mandatory to purchase to work out of the trailer? Is there free parking?

Cancellation Policy

Easy Pay Option ($299) is NOT refundable. You may cancel but your deposit is forfeit. 

A Competitor may withdraw from the event and receive a refund by giving written notice of cancellation via email, no later than August 31st, 2021. The entry fee amount minus a $95 handling fee will be refunded. There will be no exceptions to this policy. Send cancellation notification to [email protected].

There is free parking in multiple grass areas around the track. If you would like paved parking there are multiple different levels to chose from. 50X20, 60X20, 80X30, garages and the RV lot. 

• National Staff
8 hours ago, Matt Engel said:

You will be required to move to the grass lot near gate 40 but you can park there overnight to leave on Monday. 

• Like 1

• National Staff
8 hours ago, TBGRacing said:

Do any crew passes come with entry registration? Or, do they have to be purchased in addition to the entry registration? I see there is an option to purchase additional passes.

2 crew passes come with a full paid entry. If you need additional those may be purchased. 

• National Staff
On 3/20/2021 at 6:14 AM, CRallo said:

How are car numbers "rights" decided?

Whoever registers first will be granted rights to the number. If there are duplicate numbers that need to be addressed you will each receive an email stating who signed up first along with a request for the other participant to change their number. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • National Staff
3 hours ago, jlabrie said:

Hi Marie.  Any estimate as to when you'll have the Schedule published?  I'm not being pushy, just asking. ;-)

We do our best to have the schedule posted in early August. We have to wait until the mass majority of entries come in before we can set the race groups otherwise last min entires come in and really mess with the car counts of each group. It is quite a balancing act. We know you all want the schedule as soon as possible so that you can plan accordingly but we have to hold out in order to keep the groups balanced.  

Two probably silly questions, but I just want to be absolutely sure. I'm planning on bringing two cars & staying in our trailer; if I purchase a 40x60 space in the RV lot, are we allowed to keep race cars in there or is that strictly for RV's?  

The other question, I'm planning on running in SE46 & H1 with the two different cars. The way the supersizing option reads is I can apply one of the classes to this, as it is a second race class, however the only option for a supersize race entry is in one of the ST classes. 

Thanks for the help Marie

Edited by CDRacing

• National Staff
On 4/26/2021 at 11:31 PM, CDRacing said:

Two probably silly questions, but I just want to be absolutely sure. I'm planning on bringing two cars & staying in our trailer; if I purchase a 40x60 space in the RV lot, are we allowed to keep race cars in there or is that strictly for RV's?  

The other question, I'm planning on running in SE46 & H1 with the two different cars. The way the supersizing option reads is I can apply one of the classes to this, as it is a second race class, however the only option for a supersize race entry is in one of the ST classes. 

Thanks for the help Marie

No such thing as a silly question. You may park your cars in your RV space as long as there is room and you don't intrude into anyone elses space. 

The most common super size is always ST, hence why we have it set up that way. If you'd like to supersize into the two classes you mentioned above give me a call and I can assist you with your registration over the phone. We get so few that we simply handle them on a case by case basis.  (510-680-2854)

• 2 weeks later...

Marie, I'm trying to interpret the eligibility language.  I intend to compete in both race group as well as TT at this year's championships.  I have completed 3 races and have 4 TT days so far.  I am using two of those TT's for race eligibility to make up my five races.  Do I still need two additional TT days for TT eligibility, i.e. 6 total TT's?  Or have I already made myself eligible for both race and TT? 

Many thanks in advance for guidance here. 

• National Staff
1 hour ago, timb said:

Marie, I'm trying to interpret the eligibility language.  I intend to compete in both race group as well as TT at this year's championships.  I have completed 3 races and have 4 TT days so far.  I am using two of those TT's for race eligibility to make up my five races.  Do I still need two additional TT days for TT eligibility, i.e. 6 total TT's?  Or have I already made myself eligible for both race and TT? 

Many thanks in advance for guidance here. 

You are good to go as you are. See below. 

• Four TT points days

• National Staff
On 5/19/2021 at 9:31 PM, rcrescencio said:

Is power available by the paved parking lots (red or green lots)?

There is no power in the red or green lots. Only garages and RV lot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 2:48 PM, Marie A. said:

"Five points paying races (or competing at 3 weekends)."

Are the "5 points paying races" required to be in the same class as entered at championships?  For example, is one able to compete in ST3 all year, then switch to ST4 for championships?

• National Staff
3 hours ago, Matt Engel said:

Are the "5 points paying races" required to be in the same class as entered at championships?  For example, is one able to compete in ST3 all year, then switch to ST4 for championships?

Matt, Ideally it would be in the same class but we will be flexible if changes need to be made. Please just be in touch and communicate with us if you plan to compete in a different class. 

Marie,

I wanted to clarify eligibility for Championships. If i have 4 out of the 5 required now, does the remaining event need to be completed prior to Daytona or could it be done say in October at Watkins Glen and still count towards the requirement?

Thanks,
Mike

• Roman V. unpinned this topic
  • Marie A. locked and unlocked this topic