Oil accumulator in car

Gonzo_912

Does anybody have experience with mounting an oil accumulator inside the car.?  I’m setting up for hpde to tt transition and want to stay legal.  Rules say Hose in car has to be braided steel.  Can’t find anything else that says I can’t — also nothing that says how I should safely do it.  No room under hood or under car, or else it would not be a question.  Thanks.

• National Staff

Hi, thanks for your inquiry. As you mention, Section 15.14 Hoses Inside Cockpit states "All hoses carrying any flammable liquids or any toxic or flammable gases that go through the cockpit must be metal or steel braided or reinforced."

Other than this, the CCR is silent on location/mounting of an oil accumulator inside the driver compartment. Use good judgement for location (away from the immediate driver area, inside a bulkhead or box is safer than exposed) and mounting (bolt/nut combination with large washers or backing plates). Your regional tech inspector may provide additional guidance; what type of car and in which region are you located?

It’s a Honda Civic fb6.  Im contemplating putting it in passenger footwell, or beneath pssenger legs for access to valve.  Definitely thinking about a shroud over it.  SoCal.

• National Staff

A shroud is a good idea. James Bowers is your SoCal regional Chief of Tech; I sent him am email in case he has further guidance for you.

Edited by Hank P.
Updated SoCal Chief of Tech

I agree with Hank completely.   A little extra safety goes a long way when you need it.  If you shroud it or box it, a drain hole on the bottom might be handy for service also.

Thanks for the inputs.  Much appreciated.   Tangentially, project is temporarily stalled.  Canton Racing sandwich plate can not be machined to fit the oil filter mounting surface on K24Z7 engine (9th hen Civic).   While the threads match nicely (m22x1.5?) the included seal is about .15” dia. too large such that machining the OD of the plate to fit the recess where the filter is located will eliminate the perimeter of the seat for the seal.   Will be exploring options from Greddy and Mishimoto.

• 10 months later...