Wireless ECU devices in ST5?

Dave Harris

Here is the rule from the 2021 rulebook:

4) From the start of qualifying through the end of post-race inspection, vehicles may not have any adjustments or modifications made to systems that could alter chassis dynamometer readings by changing horsepower levels (without the direct approval of the Race Director.) Any hardware that allows a competitor or crew member to wirelessly or directly connect to the ECU (or alter ECU maps) at any time during competition or post-competition impound is strictly prohibited, regardless of whether such hardware is external or internal to the ECU, and regardless of the direction of data flow.

That seems completely unambiguous to me. There has been a lot of angst at recent NASA-MA events over some cars in ST5 that admittedly have multiple ECU maps and the ability to change them with a wireless device. This has caused multiple protests (including one yesterday) and lots of dyno time for the class. This is getting painful. 

According to the rules, this should be easy to deal with:  the cars with switchable ECU maps should be DQ'd. Everyone needs to run an ECU without the capability to switch maps such that there is no question that the engine raced was truly the same engine that was dyno'd (wrt ECU map). 

Not accusing anyone of anything. Just looking to stop the protests and get on with the racing.

Thoughts?

Dave Harris

#56 BMW 325is

I like how the rule is written. 

I have 2 maps loaded that can be changed with a toggle switch.  I have a LED that is visible to my in car camera that changes based on the tune.  The data of the throttle response/acceleration is noticeable too.  Before installing, I was granted approval from the regional director, as per the rule.  At the event, I showed the ST director and notified him what position I would be running it.  For local competition, I appreciate the ability to change maps based on numbers for a class.  For Nationals, the switch will be removed.

• National Staff
On 3/22/2021 at 9:00 PM, Eric Jensen said:

I like how the rule is written. 

I have 2 maps loaded that can be changed with a toggle switch.  I have a LED that is visible to my in car camera that changes based on the tune.  The data of the throttle response/acceleration is noticeable too.  Before installing, I was granted approval from the regional director, as per the rule.  At the event, I showed the ST director and notified him what position I would be running it.  For local competition, I appreciate the ability to change maps based on numbers for a class.  For Nationals, the switch will be removed.

Hi Eric,

If your toggle switch is in the driver compartment, then it is not permitted under the rule, and the Regional Director cannot approve something that is not permitted under class rules.  If the switch is somewhere else (like under the hood) where it cannot be accessed on the track or in impound before Dyno testing, then it is permitted.  The LED is a good idea in either case. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 2:11 PM, Greg G. said:

Hi Eric,

If your toggle switch is in the driver compartment, then it is not permitted under the rule, and the Regional Director cannot approve something that is not permitted under class rules.  If the switch is somewhere else (like under the hood) where it cannot be accessed on the track or in impound before Dyno testing, then it is permitted.  The LED is a good idea in either case. 

Understood...switch will be moved