Technical Bulletin: Goodyear DOT Radial RCMD - Provisional Classing as "Autocross" for ST4-6-- 6-10-21

Greg G.

• National Staff

Technical Bulletin 6-10-21

Goodyear DOT Radial RCMD tires

The Goodyear DOT Radial RCMD tires will be Provisionally classified as "DOT approved R-compound Autocross tires" for ST4/TT4, ST5/TT5, ST6/TT6.  NASA will be doing our own testing of these tires in the future to determine if this is the appropriate classing/grouping.  So, until further testing and further notice, these tires are not permitted in ST5/TT5 and ST6/TT6, and are permitted in ST4/TT4 using the Modification Factor for DOT approved R-compound Autocross tires. 

Note: These tires are permitted in ST1/TT1, ST2/TT2, and ST3/TT3 without additional Modification Factor.

Edited by Greg G.

• 3 months later...

Greg,

I tried out a set of these in 315/335.  They have no where near the grip of a A7, or R7.  I have data as well for the back to back testing.

They also have this really scary straight line "wiggle" that is downright nerve racking at 130+ Even with my downforce.

• 2 weeks later...
  • National Staff
40 minutes ago, Brian Clarke said:

Sure.  How’d you like it?

Post it here if you are willing.  However, notice that the Technical Bulletin does not apply to your tires, and we are looking at testing the sizes that would apply to this TB.

On 10/6/2021 at 2:07 PM, Brian Clarke said:

Greg,

I tried out a set of these in 315/335.  They have no where near the grip of a A7, or R7.  I have data as well for the back to back testing.

They also have this really scary straight line "wiggle" that is downright nerve racking at 130+ Even with my downforce.

Brian, I would agree to a point. The tires are really sticky as a fresh sticker set Similar to an R7, Not an A7, but they really start to fall off after about 3 Heat cycles. They do become very predictable after that and will take that level of grip all the way until there are corded. My issue with them is the Sizing is not consistent. I have had 3 Sets of 275/35/18 mounted on 9.5 wheels. its like 50/50 that they fit on the 282mm tire width gauge. I have spoken to the company about that not being consistent as the main reason why I will not purchase another set until they can have the same fitment. The GYs run really wide. 

Pic is of the Same Size tires: Toyo RRs, Hoosier R7s, GYs Eagle RS (275/35/18)

tire.png

Edited by Dunzcon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Greg - Was hoping to run the GY for 2022 in ST5 but obviously thats a no-go currently in the new rules. Glad it's being allowed in ST4 at least with a factor. I'm curious to finding out what testing NASA will do specifically for these tires for ST/TT 5 + 6 since it's not permitted.

How we would we gather info about them on slower classes 5+6 unless there are a handful of different cars running them and gathering data? Do BTM cars benefit differently vs aero cars? Obviously there is a limited allotment of retailers for them and sizes are limited but permitting them on the Hoosier-level for ST5 + 6 may be something to think about to feel out the competitiveness.

Cheers

• Greg G. unpinned this topic