E36 M3 - GTS2 / ST4 / HPDE or TT

Jake@JMU

This was for sale at a higher price, but  because of course, someone dropped oil at Summit Point, someone else spun, someone T-boned them, and about 12 of us scattered trying to avoid. I got nailed in the right rear by a Mustang who had nowhere to go. These photos are current as of Saturday night (6/26) with a final shot showing the rear after I hooked up to a Ram 2500 and pulled it back out a bit. The trunk latch is mis-aligned but shock towers appear fine. I am frankly just done with this car after 8 good years and it is time to sell it as a running, driving car that either needs repair OR could be a parts car if you want the S52/ZF trans/DiffsOnline diff/suspension/aero/etc for another car. No, I am not parting it out for you or trading parts. I live in a high-rise apartment and that is not feasible.

$12k OBO - I want/need this car gone so I can move on to a new class quickly. Pull out the rear and go HPDE/TT/race it. Or take all the stuff off and put it on a cleaner shell.

I have clean driver's side doors and front fender that will be included with the car.

MORE INFO:

I bought this car as a Cosmos Black 1997 BMW M3 street car in September 2013 and immediately went Time Trialing with it. It was a NASA TT car from late 2013 through end of 2016, and has been raced in NASA GTS2 (with the occasional stint in ST4) from March 2017 to present.

Car has been incredibly reliable minus the times I've driven it into something or something has been driven into it. Season podium finisher every year I've owned it. I've run 2:09s at VIR in it and a better driver could hustle it around even faster.

THE GOOD:

Drivetrain:
• Stock (original to the car!) S52 engine with 160k miles. Head off twice, first time for blown head gasket, second for money-shifting, which required all new exhaust valves.
• Engine makes 223 rwhp and 227 rwtq with restrictor plate, dyno-verified in March 2021. Uncorked, we've seen it do 240-some rwhp and rwtq.
• New OEM clutch, M5 flywheel two seasons ago
• Replacement ZF transmission last winter
• Cone-filter intake, stock headers, Active Autowerke midpipe and whatever loud exhaust Jack Cobetto had on his street car. Engine has a "tune" which just ups the fuel cut/rev limiter
• DiffsOnline 3.64 LSD, three clutch

Suspension:
• Motion Control (MCS) 1-way single-adjustable shocks
• Hyperco springs - 850F/1050R rates
• OEM control arms and other suspension bits
• RTAB pockets reinforced with AKG parts
• Shock towers repaired in late 2013, reinforcement plates being used

Aero:
• Bimmerworld v2 Carbon Wing
• Bimmerworld Max Velocity EvoII front splitter

Wheels/Tires/Brakes:
• Apex ARC-8 17x9" ET42, silver
• BFGoodrich R1S 245/40/17 - well used
• OEM E36 M3 calipers, rebuilt early 2021
• PFC .08 pads, used to whatever extent they are

Safety:
• NASA CCR-compliant cage by Gorka Arietta, formerly of Blockstar. Local cage builder to NoVA. Includes foot protection and roof cross-bar.
• Sparco Ergo seat w/brace
• G-Force 6-point harness (replaced early 2020)
• G-Force window net
• SPA 4-liter fire system, recharged early 2021
• Lifeline rain light

THE LESS GOOD:

The car was hit by a Honda Challenge Integra in March and repaired mechanically. The body work on the driver's side is crinkly but I have a fresh fender and two doors that will be included with the sale. There is a spot on the "dog leg" between the rear door and rear left wheel that was damaged and some rust exposed. My mechanic has confirmed this is not structural, merely cosmetic. See last photo for close-up.

If you want to get thoughts straight from the source, email Kevin "FlimFlam" Adolf at FlimFlam Speed in Richmond, VA. He has worked on the car exclusively for the past 3-4 years.

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3043.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg

IMG_3046.jpeg

IMG_3047.jpeg

IMG_3049.jpeg

IMG_3050.jpeg

IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg

IMG_3056.jpeg

IMG_3060.jpeg

IMG_3062.jpeg

IMG_3065.jpeg

IMG_3067.jpeg

IMG_3068.jpeg

IMG_3070.jpeg

IMG_3073.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg

IMG_3085.jpeg

From your listing it appears as though this is just body damage that is not frame or structual damage?

Mechanically the car is fine?

Just now, Tom Giuliante said:

From your listing it appears as though this is just body damage that is not frame or structual damage?

Mechanically the car is fine?

Correct, mechanically the car runs like a top and makes great power/torque on the dyno. Kevin at FlimFlam Speed has been the one to care for the car over the past 3-4 years and I know having a pro turn the wrenches has kept it in good shape. 

Even following the most recent damage from Saturday, if you fabbed something to keep the bumper mounted just a hair farther away from the tire, it'd be race-ready albeit quite ugly. It drives straight and shock towers/rear frame extensions were not damaged or moved.

27 minutes ago, Tom Giuliante said:

You raced this in GTS2?

Send me your number I will call you when I am free

I did, GTS2 since getting my W2W license in 2017. Will PM number now, I am free today between about 4:00 and 6:30 PM ET.

Hi Jake 

Do you store and maintain the car or do you use FlimFlam Speed in Richmond, VA to store and support your car?

Could it be changed back to an Spec E36 classed?

I have a mildly stupid (naïve) idea. I would like to propose for anyone who wants to race (and has a race permit) and doesn't have space and money for a full car ownership to create a 2-4 way ownership. 

For instance: Between NASA, SCCA and BMW there are 12 races available in the season within the mid Atlantic region we divide the seat time and appropriate consumables and race support fees by race.

2 hours ago, Matt Sin said:

Hi Jake 

Do you store and maintain the car or do you use FlimFlam Speed in Richmond, VA to store and support your car?

Could it be changed back to an Spec E36 classed?

I have a mildly stupid (naïve) idea. I would like to propose for anyone who wants to race (and has a race permit) and doesn't have space and money for a full car ownership to create a 2-4 way ownership. 

For instance: Between NASA, SCCA and BMW there are 12 races available in the season within the mid Atlantic region we divide the seat time and appropriate consumables and race support fees by race.

I store the car, Kevin at FFS does 95% of the repairs and maintenance on it.

Your idea isn’t a stupid or naive one, others do this successfully with enough planning. 404 would be a great rental racer (or rental HPDE car for those not yet racing) if you want to use it for that. This would of course involve you purchasing the car outright, I have no desire to remain attached to it as an owner.  

Not sure on making it a Spec E36, that is a BMW CCA class and I honestly don’t know enough about their rules to say. They have raced with NASA Mid Atlantic in the past and the Spec3 class has figured out how to allow the SE36 cars to cross over. But I think that’s with 328i’s, not sure about M3 cars. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update - car is still for sale at the same price. RRT gave it a full once-over and found the frame rails do need pulled straight but they think any good "racecar quality" body shop can do it easily enough.  James (owner) at RRT feels it is worth every penny of $12k.

PM if interested, thanks.