Jump to content

2022 NASA Championships Headed to WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca


Marie A.
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • National Staff

In keeping with its tradition of moving the NASA Championships to the finest racing venues in the United States, the National Auto Sport Association has announced that the 2022 NASA Championships will take place Sept. 15-18, 2022, at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey County, California.

NASA was the first amateur racing organization to pioneer the idea of moving its Championships event from year to year, and it has chosen to return to the WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, a facility that first welcomed the NASA Championships in 2015.

“WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca is one of a handful of iconic road race courses in the United States,” said NASA Vice President, Jeremy Croiset. “The track itself is one of the most challenging in the country, but when you consider the history of sports car racing on the Monterey Peninsula, that’s when you begin to understand its status as an icon. We loved racing there in 2015, and we’re really excited to return in 2022.”

Read More

Edited by Marie A.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Marie A. pinned this topic
On 11/22/2021 at 6:57 PM, Marie A. said:

We will address the sound limit soon! Everyone hang tight :) 

Need to book vacation and time off.  Are you thinking this will be a sound free weekend or not?  Is something in the works?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Huge "Thank You" to NASA for having the 2022 Championships at Laguna Seca.  Thanks to all who made this possible.  I will be there in TT5.    

 

Edited by mcolangelo2005
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • National Staff
On 11/25/2021 at 7:30 AM, Brian Clarke said:

Need to book vacation and time off.  Are you thinking this will be a sound free weekend or not?  Is something in the works?

105 db sound limit for the event

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 12/14/2021 at 5:09 PM, Marie A. said:

105 db sound limit for the event

How is the best way to measure the sound of my car to replicate how it will be measured at Laguna Seca?

I know it's going to be very, very close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • National Staff
Posted (edited)

 

We can thank Google maps for the image below. This is Laguna between turns 5 and 6. The sound measuring booth is the small shack behind the catch fence and K wall on the right. I would approximate the distance from the track at about 100 feet. The booth is in exactly the right place to measure sound because this is where cars would be loudest. This straight is uphill, so the engines are under load at this point, likely in third gear.

You can get a decibel meter app for a smart phone and have a friend help you measure the sound levels at a track near you. If you can match the gear and uphill dynamic shown in the photo below, so much the better. 

It looks like a Viper in your post. If you have the rocker-exit exhaust on both sides, you might be able to fabricate a deflector for the exhaust on the right side of the car. We had a Panoz at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill which has a 99 dBA limit. I've attached a photo of what they did. 

Bear in mind that if it's foggy, that will produce higher sound levels. If you barely pass when the sun is out, you might not pass when it's gray and foggy. I hope you can find something that works. 

 

 

948286075_ScreenShot2022-03-17at8_48_11AM.thumb.png.103a73db9e316f1f93b6141ed4d16d5f.png965318397_ScreenShot2022-03-17at9_06_12AM.thumb.png.6794354f1743e1e537131e397cbe7d16.png

Edited by Brett B.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2022 at 11:10 AM, Brett B. said:

 

We can thank Google maps for the image below. This is Laguna between turns 5 and 6. The sound measuring booth is the small shack behind the catch fence and K wall on the right. I would approximate the distance from the track at about 100 feet. The booth is in exactly the right place to measure sound because this is where cars would be loudest. This straight is uphill, so the engines are under load at this point, likely in third gear.

You can get a decibel meter app for a smart phone and have a friend help you measure the sound levels at a track near you. If you can match the gear and uphill dynamic shown in the photo below, so much the better. 

It looks like a Viper in your post. If you have the rocker-exit exhaust on both sides, you might be able to fabricate a deflector for the exhaust on the right side of the car. We had a Panoz at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill which has a 99 dBA limit. I've attached a photo of what they did. 

Bear in mind that if it's foggy, that will produce higher sound levels. If you barely pass when the sun is out, you might not pass when it's gray and foggy. I hope you can find something that works. 

 

 

948286075_ScreenShot2022-03-17at8_48_11AM.thumb.png.103a73db9e316f1f93b6141ed4d16d5f.png965318397_ScreenShot2022-03-17at9_06_12AM.thumb.png.6794354f1743e1e537131e397cbe7d16.png


Thanks Brett, that helps a lot.

I'm sure I can replicate that on a nearby road in Mexico..

I guess if worst comes to worst the deflector isn't a terrible idea,  I do fear that it would melt the side of my car though.

Also, while on the topic of the exhaust...NASA National rules read that it has to exit behind the driver's head... Mine from the factory is a touch in front. How stringent is National on that? Never been a problem at any local event in NASA or other organizations.

 

Edited by Anderson Motorsports
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • National Staff

We have more than a few Vipers competing in NASA. None has ever failed tech for exhaust that I've heard of. The exact wording from the NASA CCR is shown below: 

11.4.22 Exhaust Exit

The exhaust must exit behind and away from the driver compartment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2022 at 4:30 PM, Brett B. said:

We have more than a few Vipers competing in NASA. None has ever failed tech for exhaust that I've heard of. The exact wording from the NASA CCR is shown below: 

11.4.22 Exhaust Exit

The exhaust must exit behind and away from the driver compartment.

PM'd you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will a list be publish for those that are on the waitlist? Could be helpful to know where we stand and the likelihood of making the event. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • National Staff
On 3/28/2022 at 8:28 PM, Matt Wilson said:

Will a list be publish for those that are on the waitlist? Could be helpful to know where we stand and the likelihood of making the event. 

We are discussing internally and will have an update on this in the next week or so. Standby!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Will there be a waitlist for the test day? I know snooze/lose - but curious how best to allocate budget in case it might open up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • National Staff
On 3/31/2022 at 11:46 AM, Chris W. said:

Will there be a waitlist for the test day? I know snooze/lose - but curious how best to allocate budget in case it might open up. 

Chris, we will open up a waitlist for test day in case people cancel we will be able to fill spots. Right now there are still a few spaces left. I would say register now if you are unsure and you can always cancel if needed. All you lose is a $99 processing fee. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Do we have any idea on what the wait list's looks like?  I have signed up for the TT wait list, curious if a list of where you may be located may be provided? if I am towards the top then it means I may have a chance.  If I am at the bottom then I will just plan on next year. ;-)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • National Staff
On 6/12/2022 at 11:30 AM, Magus2727 said:

Do we have any idea on what the wait list's looks like?  I have signed up for the TT wait list, curious if a list of where you may be located may be provided? if I am towards the top then it means I may have a chance.  If I am at the bottom then I will just plan on next year. ;-)  

You should have received an email about this today :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...