Eligible vehicles and purpose.

mnemonic

I was excited to do the upcoming TREC event at OIR, but the fact about needing a race-ready vehicle was not very publicized in the TREC Rules document.  5.1 has ONE sentence dedicated to a VERY important fact that you need a roll cage in your vehicle to participate, as well as fire extinguisher and other race-only modifications.  I think the headlining statement:

4. Eligible Vehicles Manufacturers/Models/Configurations 4.1. Anything and everything! Run what you brung! Obviously there has to be some safety stuff, so make sure the vehicle complies with the CCR. We don’t want Mr. Pro Racer and/or superfast cars. If your car is too fast, we’ll just move you to the highest class and subtract 100 laps (or something worse)!

This is extremely misleading to those of us in HPDE.  It looks as if you are HPDE 2+ you can participate in this event with your current vehicle.  I think the underlined sentence above needs more details and emphasis, IE:

4. Eligible Vehicles Manufacturers/Models/Configurations

4.1. Anything and everything that is considered race ready.  Obviously there has to be some safety stuff, So make sure the vehicle complies with CCR RACE RULES section 15!  . We don’t want Mr. Pro Racer and/or superfast cars. If your car is too fast, we’ll just move you to the highest class and subtract 100 laps (or something worse)!

I ALMOST signed up for this event with my family who are HPDE 2-4, until my regional manager mentioned the car must be a racecar.  I feel there will be VERY few (less than 10%) of HPDE 2-3 drivers with vehicles that will be eligible for this event.

Please do not misunderstand, i do understand the reason for the rules.  I just think since TREC is promoted towards HPDE drivers there should be clarification on what is required, vehicle wise.  The opening sentence in 4.1 leads us to believe that our current HPDE vehicles are sufficient.  

Edited by mnemonic