REGIONAL AWARDS

Ale Sensoli

Good evening racers and directors. 

I'd like to write this message in a constructive way to find a solution.  Eventually, all together. 

We have had this discussion in the past but I feel it is time to face a solution for the TT around US. 

I hope (I.. think) I speak on behalf of many 

In many regional events, awards for time trials are not the best and many times they are missing. Furthermore, the celebration for the winners are lacking of the same attention reserved to other wheel to wheel races. We are aware we are not like ST and our competition is sitting behind as importance to the "bigger brothers" however TT group counts most of the time numbers around 20 25 competitors. I know it is just a piece of acrylic but for many of us that is a symbol of reward of all the sacrifices that we do to be  out there with all of you. Sacrifices like taking away family time and of course.. lots of money. It also shows that the organization cares of us. Lastly, showing an award helps for public relations and for sponsor collaborations.  Podium pictures, article on broken records, stories, awards,  all that helps. And as we know every penny counts in our "expensive hobby".

Is there anything we can do to help?

Maybe a national order of time trials awards could be a solution?

Please see this post in a costructive way and let's avoid useless polemics. Let's all be pro active to find solutions. 

Thanks for your attention and looking forward to here from my fellow racers and directors. 

Alessandro

• Thanks 1

They are not bigger brothers.  We spend more on our cars, we prepare for that one lap, we throw our tires away to get fresh for the ultimate time.  

Many will move to TT that will never w2w.  In fact If you look at numbers regional TT vs Racing ; who grows faster? 

We are forgotten.  Our final TT event of the year isn’t even recognized by our region, leadership doesn’t attend.  Records were set and not updated.

I feel less; it’s forced me to buy and build a w2w car, many cannot follow my path. 

Well, this issue would be region dependent.  We celebrate all classes and awards for ST and TT.  

I have received some really cool ones as well in the past that were CNC aluminum.  

F3650753-9A7A-47AB-B5F1-D4DA6E6C1FFE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MemphisRob said:

Well, this issue would be region dependent.  We celebrate all classes and awards for ST and TT.  

I have received some really cool ones as well in the past that were CNC aluminum.  

How was this presented?  I’ve got some somewhat cool end of year stuff.  But nothing that says thanks for several thousand in entry fees, tow bills etc.  that trophy there is like $50. To win a championship you probably spent 5k in entries.  

its ok to ask and expect more.  Don’t be complacent 

Brian I'd like to keep it constructive. 

Lets start with all regions uniforming the awards cerimonies. 

Then real prize is another topic. Thank you. 

As a former tt participant and now st and sometimes tt I agree 100%.  I don't have the answer but will think about it.  I do think it might be region specific but maybe there could be some sort of standardization.  In my opinion tt is racing and in many ways harder than wheel to wheel and takes the same commitment.  I will say that our local end of year awards banquet is the real badge of honor.

• Thanks 2

Trophies in NASA are generally based on what is known as the “money race”.   Or the contingency race.  Money race is a collective term that encompasses any race designated as the race where the winner earns a prize across most any sport.  In Central Region the money race is the 1st W2W race on Saturday and the results from the EOD   Merge on Saturday in Time Trials.  Our trophies follow the race/day in which our contingency sponsors agree to pay prizes to our drivers.  Those races are sanctioned by NASA and those are the results our wonderful drivers send to our sponsors for payout.  Every day/race sanctioned by the region receives the allocated points for that weekends event, per the CCR.  Those points then combine to award the season champions for the region.  As in all forms of sanctioned racing the season points along with the weekend winner make up our winners.  So while there may not be a trophy for each day or each race there are points. I know in 2020, CDC restrictions precluded all get togethers.  Most of 2021 had restricted or no formal gatherings. In CA, those requirements were the most strict in the nation.  In 2020 trophies were cleaned and picked up by the drivers alone in a designated area.  I know in Central Region we are so grateful for the drivers who maintained their love of racing during the pandemic.  It was not easy promoting or attending.  I think we should all get a trophy for that!! ☺️  Cheers to the 2022 season!

Donna Lane-Regional Director, Central 

Edited by Donna

I’m new to NASA.  I’m a TT guy. While I’ve enjoyed the experience, I have thought many times about how LAME the awards program is.  My region gives you a coffee cup or a cap, or nothing.  After all the time and money and effort and instruction, and WINNING… 

I politely complained once.  I was laughed at.  “We do this for fun and bragging rights not trophies.”  

“How can I brag while holding my little coffee cup? “ I replied.  

Interestingly enough, I look at pictures on social media and I see were other regions get trophies just for a local event. NASA central for instance. If it wasn’t such a far drive I would join them.  Whoever runs that show has his/her finger on the pulse of the drivers.  And guess what… they’re GROWING!  

From a business perspective, how can you attract new drivers?  We are suffering in our region from a lack of interest. And let’s face it, things are getting very expensive. But if the region cannot take the time and the effort and the small expense of giving me a damn plastic trophy or a cheap plaque, it is very disappointing.  Where does the money go?  It’s not all spent on cheap barbecue.  

Yes.  There are those of us who will show up and give it all we’ve got regardless of trophies or plaques.  

But then, there are those who work hard for weeks to afford this hobby, and won’t have a damn thing to show for it but a gravel chipped front end, cycled out tires, worn brake pads, warped rotors, and a pissed off spouse.  

I notice it’s the guys who’ve been doing this a long time who make the decisions and run things.  Their walls are full of cheap plastic trophies to point at and remember.  ??.  Just sayin’.

Thank you Alessandro for having the courage to bring it up. ??

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MemphisRob said:

All I’ve ever received are coffee cups.  And a plaque for a Championship.  Let’s bring back the “CNC Aluminum” ?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Brian Clarke said:

How was this presented?  I’ve got some somewhat cool end of year stuff.  But nothing that says thanks for several thousand in entry fees, tow bills etc.  that trophy there is like $50. To win a championship you probably spent 5k in entries.  

its ok to ask and expect more.  Don’t be complacent 

We have our award ceremony where we get a bottle of bubbly and our pic taken. 

1 hour ago, Dereks Speed Shop said:

I’m new to NASA.  I’m a TT guy. While I’ve enjoyed the experience, I have thought many times about how LAME the awards program is.  My region gives you a coffee cup or a cap, or nothing.  After all the time and money and effort and instruction, and WINNING… 

I politely complained once.  I was laughed at.  “We do this for fun and bragging rights not trophies.”  

“How can I brag while holding my little coffee cup? “ I replied.  

Interestingly enough, I look at pictures on social media and I see were other regions get trophies just for a local event. NASA central for instance. If it wasn’t such a far drive I would join them.  Whoever runs that show has his/her finger on the pulse of the drivers.  And guess what… they’re GROWING!  

From a business perspective, how can you attract new drivers?  We are suffering in our region from a lack of interest. And let’s face it, things are getting very expensive. But if the region cannot take the time and the effort and the small expense of giving me a damn plastic trophy or a cheap plaque, it is very disappointing.  Where does the money go?  It’s not all spent on cheap barbecue.  

Yes.  There are those of us who will show up and give it all we’ve got regardless of trophies or plaques.  

But then, there are those who work hard for weeks to afford this hobby, and won’t have a damn thing to show for it but a gravel chipped front end, cycled out tires, worn brake pads, warped rotors, and a pissed off spouse.  

I notice it’s the guys who’ve been doing this a long time who make the decisions and run things.  Their walls are full of cheap plastic trophies to point at and remember.  ??.  Just sayin’.

Thank you Alessandro for having the courage to bring it up. ??

I don't know where this is coming from Derek.  

You should have got your plaque like all the other winners in our region.  It was even posted on Instagram.

NASA Mid South (@nasa_midsouth) • Instagram photos and videos

• Members

I would like to correct Derek's post above as I hope he is simply having a bad morning...and I will try to keep it constructive.  If he ever complained to me & I gave him that answer, it certainly wasn't meant for him to be as devastated as it seems to have made him.  I can provide him with as expensive a trophy as he would like.  I just need to know what that is.  I would also hope he retracts this remark... "Where does the money go?  It’s not all spent on cheap barbecue"...no need for any of his foolish BS on the rest of his post.  However, I will do this in the appropriate way the next time we are together.  Sadly, we were just together this past Sunday and he was as nice as he could be.

In the Mid South region, we have always given beer mugs/pint glasses for 1st place and coffee cups for 2nd & 3rd for our Saturday evening awards.  Nothing is not an option.  When we do not have awards (pandemic or extreme heat), we tell them to come see us and get their awards.  We have never given hats...those are given to Instructor Clinic participants.  In addition, there are contingencies as Donna mentioned.

For this year, we will offer a choice at the 1st event where we are the host region.  You can either choose a plastic corrugated trophy, from the same vendor as many other regions are using, or the beer mug/coffee cups.  One thing about the beer mugs/coffee cups.  Since we run the events at Barber & most regions are represented, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen an out of region driver posting on social media that their favorite coffee cup or beer mug is one of ours.  Maybe familiarity breeds contempt?  I can see that.

I have been fortunate to have been to many region's awards dinners over the 15 years I have been involved with NASA as both a driver & Regional Director.  Some provide a meal & trophies.  Others provide trophies after the races with TT at the end of the day.  Some provide a meal with the past event's trophies given out.  I will attend at least 2 other region's events this year in addition to our own.  I can tell you we put an incredible amount of time, effort, and expense into what we do.  We can definitely do something different.  So, I am looking forward to constructive ideas, not bashing.  

I will also thank Alessandro for bringing this up.  Reasonable discussion is what makes NASA great and why I still love it after all these years.

Shawn Taylor

Regional Director - NASA Mid South   

• Thanks 1

Nasa GL puts on an amazing show.  I’d take note.

@PittRace

I loved the MA parties (covid), and I think and end of year banquet is mandatory for all regions.  

So there is clearly discrepancy betweem regions. That is actually a gpod news because we have an example we can follow. 

In 2022 a big chunk of tracking is..to show that you do. 

Many new guys are attracted by those things. 

Seeing champagne sprayed. People laughing on the podium nive awards pics is what atteact many (not all) participants. 

Let's face the truth. Everyone thinks "i go there cause is funnier relaxed and it is COOL"

noone will think " i go here cause no one consider you they don't care about you winning. And i love that it is boring"

We have here good example when this work and whem it doesnt. 

So here some proposals 

1. Is there a way to allocate part of the regional budget for all  awards at the beginning of the year?I would personally love to help find plates pr trophies for my region. I'm sure others can help too. 

2. Celebration cerimony on OFFICIAL SCHEDULE (so people know when it happens): thisnwill help with the "social media" stuff too (cause people will come and take pics or videos)

3. Rookie of the year 

4. Driver of the day 

5. TT ONLY group everytime.  even if numbers are low. This is the only way to encourage people to join us. It can be a little "sacrifice" at the beginning but im sure it can help in the long run. 

6.  A bi monthly article on speed news about TT.  

A note. We all want and would love to have the best everytime everywhere Contingency plans. I.e. Lots of tires and pads

However this is "above TT only" AND I'M SURE NASA IS DOING THE BEST FOR US ANYWAY. So lets keep contingency plan is a parallel discussion. 

Again if it wasnt clear. I love running with all of you and i'm thankful that i can afford this hobby that is what i love.

all this discussion is to keep evolving to something better ..exaclty like our cars. (Most of the time :) )

Alessandro

In NASA Rocky Mountain TT does get the same level of recognition as the W2W racers. We'll get a sticker, or a mug, or a plaque just like the "real" racers. The problem is there are only awards on Saturday.

I raced for two years with the club and finally got my first TT5 win, on a Sunday. I was gleaming! I went to the NASA trailer to ask if they were doing any awards or trophies and I was given a rude "We don't do awards on Sunday!" response. I was deflated. I wanted to rip all my NASA stickers off the car and join SCCA immediately. All over a stupid sticker or a $5 piece of plastic. True, it is a simple piece of value-less memorabilia. But it represents years of financial and time commitment that culminates into an irreplaceable achievement. 

I can't believe that other regions don't even recognize TT with awards. I imagine there is a large number of W2W racers that started in TT and then progressed. TT should be treated the same, if not given extra attention because we are the source of so many W2W racers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TimRoberts said:

But it represents years of financial and time commitment that culminates into an irreplaceable achievement. 

This is everything!  

2 hours ago, Brian Clarke said:

Lack of trophies on Sunday does suck!

just could definitely be recognized at the next event.  Immediately after the all hands.

I don't think it is feasible to have a Sunday award presentation.  Have you stayed until after the last session on a Sunday? 

At least 80% of the W2W racers and TT competitors are already on the road headed home.   There would be almost no one there to accept the trophies on Sunday afternoon.    

Case in point... this was the last session at NCM last year.  Only 5 runners out of 29 competitors in TT.  

Race results for Time Trials - TT1-6,TTU Time Trials - Session 4 - Sunday on 24-OCT-2021 | RaceHero

Also, there is really NO time after the all hands meeting to present awards from the previous weekend.  I would suggest reaching out to your regional director after a Sunday "podium" and coordinate getting the trophy, mug, cup, etc.  

Edited by MemphisRob

4 minutes ago, MemphisRob said:

Also, there is really NO time after the all hands meeting to present awards from the previous weekend.  I would suggest reaching out to your regional director after a Sunday "podium" and coordinate getting the trophy, mug, cup, etc.  

They don’t give anything for Sunday period as of right now.  In any region that I’m aware of.

Maybe that’s someone’s only win of the year.  We should recognize this.

Just now, Brian Clarke said:

They don’t give anything for Sunday period as of right now.  In any region that I’m aware of.

Maybe that’s someone’s only win of the year.  We should recognize this.

I can't speak for all regions but if you join us at a Mid South event, I personally guarantee we will get you a trophy for a podium finish. 

The mugs are more useful on Saturday after the track goes cold :) but you can always bring it home for your shelf. 

ForSunday. 

Im part of a organization called 

Super gt cup for maer4ican cars TT. 

For Sunday we do.

3 competitions. Done by 1 pm. 

(8.30. 10.30 12.30)

THEN

Podium.  

And last session no timing. (We use that to also have fun with friends family or test things fpr next event cause TT doesn't really have warm up sessions to test)

Maybe we can do this?

2 hours ago, MemphisRob said:

I don't think it is feasible to have a Sunday award presentation.  Have you stayed until after the last session on a Sunday? 

At least 80% of the W2W racers and TT competitors are already on the road headed home.   There would be almost no one there to accept the trophies on Sunday afternoon.    

Case in point... this was the last session at NCM last year.  Only 5 runners out of 29 competitors in TT.  

Race results for Time Trials - TT1-6,TTU Time Trials - Session 4 - Sunday on 24-OCT-2021 | RaceHero

I agree that almost no one stays for the last session. I say make the awards available to those who are willing to hang around until the end of Sunday for them. No need for a party or ceremony. Just pull the thing out of a box and hand it to me. That would have turned a sour situation into a happy one. It's a simple thing but it really does mean a lot to a guy like me (at least now).

• National Staff
On 2/22/2022 at 12:12 PM, Ale Sensoli said:

So here some proposals 

1. Is there a way to allocate part of the regional budget for all  awards at the beginning of the year?I would personally love to help find plates pr trophies for my region. I'm sure others can help too. 

2. Celebration cerimony on OFFICIAL SCHEDULE (so people know when it happens): thisnwill help with the "social media" stuff too (cause people will come and take pics or videos)

3. Rookie of the year 

4. Driver of the day 

5. TT ONLY group everytime.  even if numbers are low. This is the only way to encourage people to join us. It can be a little "sacrifice" at the beginning but im sure it can help in the long run. 

6.  A bi monthly article on speed news about TT.  

A note. We all want and would love to have the best everytime everywhere Contingency plans. I.e. Lots of tires and pads

However this is "above TT only" AND I'M SURE NASA IS DOING THE BEST FOR US ANYWAY. So lets keep contingency plan is a parallel discussion. 

Again if it wasnt clear. I love running with all of you and i'm thankful that i can afford this hobby that is what i love.

all this discussion is to keep evolving to something better ..exaclty like our cars. (Most of the time :) )

Alessandro

Hi Alessandro,

I'm a bit confused about your post I quoted here.  I agree with your general idea, although I think your experience does not represent NASA TT on a National basis.  And, perhaps you are speaking more to the NorCal region than SoCal that I directed TT from 2004 to the end of 2021.  And, of course, you were new last year, and the combination of Covid restrictions in California and a change of ownership of the SoCal region did result in changes in how some things were done previously.  And, there certainly could have already been additional changes made in the region this year since I left.  But at least in the past in SoCal:

1) The Regional Directors do budget for awards at the beginning of the year, and purchase awards for both TT and racers prior to the start of the season.  If you have suggestions for awards, make them to your Regional Director(s).  We have done medals, trophies, plaques in SoCal over the years.  Year end trophies have varied with some of them very nice.  Know that for each event day for TT and racing, there can be 24 awards for TT (including TTEV), and up to 78 awards for racing depending on participation in the available classes.  So, there is a potential for up to 100 awards being required per day.  In some classes with low participation, that is an award for every driver.  Those costs add up quickly, especially when you add on Sunday, and even more for regions that run three races a weekend. 

2) Race awards happen right after the race, although sometimes end up wrong because results are not final until after tech inspection, protests, and penalties for incidents. TT requires the completion of all sessions and impounds and compilation of the results before awards.  So, if we had a Saturday night BBQ, I usually did awards then, as at least 50% of the drivers would show up. It was nice, because there were lots of folks there eating who were not part of TT and it was better than the racers got for their awards ceremonies.  Covid put a damper on this one in California.  If there was no BBQ, by the time the last session occurred on Saturday and results were compiled, the majority of drivers were already gone from the track and headed back to the hotel/restaurant.  It was a waste of time for most, and then I ended up still spending time on Sunday morning giving out the majority of the awards.  So, we ended up doing awards on Sunday, when we had time, which is after the first session on track.    Could we do them outside by the track, in whatever weather there was, with all of the car noise from the track at that time?  Sure.  It's possible that others would show up if put on the schedule.  Speak to the TT Director and Regional Director if you want to try and effect that change.  We did hold them outside for much of Covid, and at the actual podium depending on where the podium was, and where the meeting was at.  But, ultimately, most just want to sit down inside during an awards ceremony and download meeting.  As far as Sunday goes, 80% of the participants are gone by the time I compiled results with T&S at the end of the day.  So, I always offered for drivers to pick up their awards at the next event.  But, I wasn't going to hold an awards ceremony on Sunday for me and five others when their were 45 earlier in the day.  And, I wasn't going to hold an awards ceremony at the next event when maybe half of the participants were not there, and our drivers just want to get out of a meeting and take care of business.

3) We had Rookie of the Year awards at every annual awards ceremony that I went to, as well as other specific regional annual awards.

4) I gave out TT driver of the weekend awards every weekend--not based on lap times often--could be based on sportsmanship, etc.

5) We had been running TT only track sessions for many years.  Note that many tracks are very expensive to rent, and if the TT program cannot fill up a run group, the many thousands of dollars of revenue lost is not an option for the region in order to run the event at those tracks.

6) Brett would be happy to accept article submissions for Speed News from TT from anyone.  Your regional TT Directors are not getting paid, and just get track time, that is sometimes lost due to handling TT related issues.  They spend time before, during, and after the events, with e-mails between the events, and many try to keep up with you guys on the Forums and FB.  So they have limited time for additional tasks.  Most are basically volunteering because of their good will and desire to see a good local program, because the track credit they get is not worth the amount of time required for most.  Additionally, many are not comfortable writing articles as well.  You saw what it took for us to get a replacement for me in SoCal.  Everyone has their opinions and wants and desires, but rarely want to spend their own time helping out or volunteering (even if some of them have no problem spending many hours on social media with their suggestions.)  So, if news articles about the local TT event are important, why did I never see one person volunteer to write one article for SoCal TT, ever?   I did see that someone posted a link to an article about another event that had 25 participants, and just about every one of them was mentioned in the article.  Seemed like a nice participation "trophy", that I would never be able to write myself.  So, perhaps you can get volunteers to write an article about each event.  I never could.  Most just wanted to go home, put their stuff away, fix their car, and get ready for the next event.  And, do we really think that readers are going to want to read 14 regional TT results articles a month?  

Ultimately, we can look into coming up with some National standards for the regions to adhere to in regard to awards or articles, but those standards will come at a cost (mostly higher registration fees).  I think that most drivers are probably satisfied with what their region is doing already, but their may be some outliers, and there is never 100% satisfaction for anything.  Since each Region operates independently in terms of operations, it is important for the participants to voice their concerns directly to your Regional Directors, as they make these decisions--where the budget goes, what awards get purchased, who gets hired for what job, etc.   And, speak to your Regional TT Directors, as if your ideas seem good to them, you have a better chance of getting their backing with the RD.  We will certainly discuss this more at the National level, but we are limited in what we can do, since these are mostly regional operations issues.

Thanks for the input!

Greg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback Greg. As you know you and the way you organized things are one of the reason why i drove 7hrs to join you for events in Socal. 

As you read, Mine is not a criticism but an open discussion to get better because  there are areas where we can growth and do better.  

I received some calls and input together with my (limited) experience in Nasa.. That is why the post. It is not really related to me.  

I thought and i think that bringing up something that for some(many?) Is important and is a great way to make things better. 

I'd like to answer some of your input. 

1. Thanks for the clarification. I know there are a lot of trophies involved and sometime is hard to organize them in time and well. In the organization where I help we have 48 awards for just TT competitions so I understand the problem.  Is not a national problem. But awards are not a national standard either. 

I wonder if different awards can be a solution like for example free photos for the 1st places?

2. Following up my last post here (see above)I suggested a format that works in the other competition I help , and perhaps can be apply here too. 3 sessions timed with ending by 1pm.  TT awards at 2 pm and then a 4th session more like HPDE format. Where we can have passenger..or do some lead \follow coaching or maybe just test the car. (Cause tt doesn't really have a warm up option)..And allow us  more cheeing for w2w.

This could help in 2 ways.

Maybe more ST Can join TT if doesn't interfere too much with racing. More entries=more contingency= more people who wants to join. 

People will be at the cerimony. People will cheer the other competitors. We will build a closed "TT community" (also cause is probably the only time where we are really together)  and ..will be done by 2-3 pm. So people can leave to go home but also be around to clap for the drivers who won. 

3. I wasn't aware!  Maybe some regional don't have it and neither nationals so maybe we can do better here?

4. That is one of the best memory I have with you. I still have the plate on my garage door. It is the one better shown in my home. It felt..good.cause a tt award is a recognition of driver and car. That was for the man.  Perhaps is somenthing other regional nasa can adopt? 

5. I do understand it. Coming from sales , sometime u wonder if you should invest after u grew. Or invest to grow. I still debating to the right answer ( probably is half way :) ) but when TT classes numbers are low maybe we should try somenthing different. 

Not only awards. Avoid a packed group. Avoid hpde4 and tt together. Awards. Etc. 

Maybe making TT session shorter (we do max 4 laps anyway) and increase the number of sessions/group?

I don't have the right answer but I hope it can stimulate a discussion. And I'm here to help. 

6. Article. On top of the fact that I'm italian and maybe not the best in writing articles (lol ) we should have 1 story of TT per newsletter. Once from Florida. 2 weeks after Once from mid east etc etc. 

And also be active on SOCIAL MEDIA. The real engine of many competitions. 

For results i would create a page (together with the regional one) where ALL the regions are in , and you just select the region u looking for , to see standings and results ( instead regional multi pages only): like a spread sheet?

So i can see what other region drivers are doing!

I hope this is seen as a first tentative of help from our side. 

With esteem. 

Alessandro

• 3 weeks later...

A little late to the party, I only read these forums every once in a while, but at least in our region (Utah), TT and W2W are treated exactly the same for awards.  Awards are given during the BBQ (pre-covid) and the "prizes" are exactly the same.  Generally TT is announced first and then W2W second (we have a podium and pics are taken).    Same year-end T-shirts which list all class winners (TT & W2W) and same trophies. 

> Not only awards. Avoid a packed group. Avoid hpde4 and tt together. 

This is easier said than done.  There are only so many run groups available in a day.  We run HPDE2/3, HPDE4/TT "slow",  TT "fast".    You can't really put HPDE4 in with the other HPDE groups due to different passing rules.   TTU will lap the back of the TT6 within a lap or two.  So it's better to have TT "slow" grouped with HPDE4 (for our region).   We allow HPDE4 drivers to run a transponder and if so, they are gridded by times with TT (which has its own pluses and minuses).  Non-transponder cars are gridded behind TT and we put in a gap/split start  so they don't run into the back of TT immediately.   It's still tricky and the front of TT can catch the back of the HPDE4 cars before the first flying lap is completed, but usually you get at least one lap in (we used to almost always get two, but car counts have grown quite a bit).   Each region will have different car composition, sizes, speed differentials etc., but this is the least of all evils at least for us.

Anyway, sorry that your region doesn't (equally) recognize TT, but that seems like something that needs to be fixed in the region and isn't pervasive in NASA in my experience.