Choice of First Track Car

Dnl.reichert

Hello, I went to my first track event recently, which was super fun. I’m interested in getting involved in some track days. My car is an SUV, and I’m looking for an appropriate first track car. I’m fairly brand agnostic—I just want something reasonable that is a good stepping stone for learning to become a better driver. I don’t want to be committed to a string of mods right off the bat, as I’m easing myself into this.

I live in the SF Bay Area, and although I think there’s a large community of enthusiasts here, I don’t know anybody personally who’s involved. For that reason, I would appreciate any tips regarding car choices and any suggestions about the best marketplaces for finding appropriate cars.

All the best,

Daniel

Miata is always the answer. Although most modern cars have shrunken the gap from stock to track capable. If there is a company or person who rents out track day cars, I'd try that first. Hell, I've even rented a Veloster from an airport rental company to do a track day. I'd say look what is the most common car on track in your area. That would be a good first place to look. See what they have done, what "has" to be done and what is nice to have. Here in AZ we have Miatas, Civics, BRZ/FRS, Camaro, Mustang, BMW 3 Series, S2000, Porsche and Corvettes. 

• Like 1

Something cheap to run.

Miata is the top dog. Maintenance is nothing, parts are abundant, great learning car.