Building first car… AI vs Camaro-Mustang challenge(?)

Bigboydanny43

Hi everyone… I’m a highschool kid trying to get into some accessible(ish?) racing with my current car…. 

I have a bone stock 305 tbi third gen Camaro (hardtop, Manual windows, locks,etc.). I am currently swapping a 5.7 Vortec into it (my problems start here)

im looking at either getting into the American Iron or Camaro-Mustang challenge… 

my problems are; My engine seems to be illegal for the Camaro-Stang challenge… Mainly because it’s a 350 with Vortec heads, and Jegs brand intake manifold, with a. Summit Distrivutor (Edelbrock really seems to have a grasp on this event) but I seem at a disadvantage for the AI series because of my limited power, suspension, and ability to “dig a hole, dump money into it, and light it on fire” at the moment. 

*my 305 supposedly had 80kish miles on it… took intake off and had ZERO carbon buildup… but needs work done to the heads… and, well it’s a 305…

what would you guys recommend doing?  What am I looking at for costs to race events?  Are there any other alternative options I’m not seeing here?

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same place your are and cant get any info. I'm putting a roll cage in now and cant find any info on the Nascar bars for the roll cage. How far up off of door jam and spacing from bar to bar.

• National Staff

Hi, thanks for your questions.

First, if you are beginning your track driving/racing journey, NASA's HPDE program is a good place to start. You can use your streetcar after a basic tech inspection, no race gear or roll cage needed. Our HPDE program provides a strong foundation by providing instruction and guidance on performance driving,how to understand the limits of your car, what lines to take around the track, etc. After you have achieved advanced track driving experience, you may wish to continue with advanced HPDE and/or move into competition.

HPDE info here: HPDE - National Auto Sport Association (drivenasa.com)

NASA CCR rules here: Rules - NASA (drivenasa.com)

For many racers, the decision whether to race AI or CMC is usually determined by budget, how fast, how open the rules are, and how many other racers are racing that class in their region, so that they will have competition. As you mention, AI will be a more open, fast and expensive class. CMC is more budget-friendly if you don't mind slower speeds and rules that are more restrictive as regards modifications.

Since you already have non-CMC-friendly mods, you may consider one of NASA's Super Touring classes. ST rules are more flexible and allow a wider variety of mods, with fair competition thanks to mod factors that affect the car's minimum weight based on the amount of power and other mods. ST info and rules here: Super Touring - National Auto Sport Association (drivenasa.com)

Another option is to run in Time Trial rather than a full race group. After you have advanced track experience, TT allows you to compete with other drivers without the need to install race gear or a cage. This can be a cost-effective way to advance your driving skills as you determine the best path or class if you decide to race. TT info here: Time Trial - National Auto Sport Association (drivenasa.com)

• National Staff
3 hours ago, Torch said:

I'm in the same place your are and cant get any info. I'm putting a roll cage in now and cant find any info on the Nascar bars for the roll cage. How far up off of door jam and spacing from bar to bar.

Hi, section 15.6 of the NASA CCR Rules - NASA (drivenasa.com) shows the cage rules. There is no specific requirement for height or spacing of door bars. Consider the height and mass of other cars that are competing in the same session. Consider the possibility or likelihood of a larger car's bumper overriding the door bars, and place your upper door bar at an appropriate height based on your perception of that risk. Also, consider that a door bar that is "too" high may impede driver egress in the event of an emergency. Check with your region's tech staff for more guidance.

Keep the 305 or swap the 350 in it and start signing up for hpde... good fresh brakes/fluid/ tires... have fun then slowly add... better tires, brakes,  a lot of options for 3rd gens. Wish I took that advise 10-15 yrs ago lol.

On 5/26/2022 at 4:23 AM, Torch said:

Bigboydanny43  How's the build going . You keeping the 305.

Hi all thank you for the replies. I haven’t had a chance to reply since I’ve been cranking down on school. 

I’ve decided to take advice on keeping my non compliant parts (for now) and slowly progress to whatever I need for CMC when I have the needed training and all. 

and a cage is definitely happening this summer. Will keep y’all posted as I progress 

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know about the rules on hood vents?  Are the Trackspec functional louvers legal? They’d be for cooling.   I am gonna blow almost the same amount if I buy new fake ones 

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2022 at 4:38 PM, Bigboydanny43 said:

Does anyone know about the rules on hood vents?  Are the Trackspec functional louvers legal? They’d be for cooling.   I am gonna blow almost the same amount if I buy new fake ones 

Look into Race Louvers.   Owned and operated by the American Iron race series director Al Watson.  I have some on my AIX car.  They are great and tested.