Maxxis Tire follow up

Magus2727

I hate to air it in this way as I love the contingency that Maxxis provides.  Its been 2+ weeks since I submitted my information through the online process.  

I have emailed a point of contact Walter from the March contingency.   But I have not seen any email or invoice for the new submissions for the April 23rd and 24th events.

Is there a way NASA can follow up or provide a status of the contingency in general (or specifically :-) )  

• National Staff

It can take Maxxis up to 30 days to process contingency claims. 

Once we process the claims, it is in Maxxis hands to fulfill, we can check on the status but we were informed of some shipping and supply delays with certain sizes  

Walter from Maxxis will be your main point of contact and he will update you as soon as the tires ship. 

we do apologize for the inconvenience however, there are several things outside of our control and we are working to get the contingency claims processed faster 

• 3 weeks later...

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but.....

1) Is there any way to get an automated email notice when tires actually ship?  Right now they just show up one day (usually late in the season).  (I don't ship to my house, so have no idea that they actually arrived.)

2) Is there a different supply chain for contingency tires?   I ordered a set earlier this year and they showed up promptly.   (This seems to always be the case.  If you are buying them from their site, there is no issue.  Contingency tires often show up only in time to be used for the next season.   But we have to buy a set to be able to win tires.....and you get the picture.)  I'm guessing there is as the build dates of the tires are usually quite different between contingency/purchased tires.

3) Shipping for the tires I bought was $15/tire, but contingency tires are $35/tire?  Why the difference?  (One would hope it'd cover the costs of processing the claims expediently....but:)

4) I'm sorry, but 30 days is not ideal and in my experience it has taken much longer than that (at times).  I'd wager most of us race at least monthly.   All the other contingency companies I've dealt with through NASA are very prompt in their processing/shipping. 

Just being honest, but between the increased cost, the faster degradation of their R2 compound and the inability to get us our tires in a timely manner has me seriously considering jumping to a different brand. 

To provide my own experience of this contingency over the last 3 years to address questions:

1. This would be great!  The Invoicing did kind of provide this for this year.  But still just showed up with no information on tracking or they had shipped

2.  Maxxis is a direct distributor so not sure how their whole business model would work.  With out supply chain issues (which are the current issue still with tire manufactures) I have usually gotten my tires the week before the next event but would always have my fingers crossed.  When I cant even buy the tires new because they have no inventory I understand that they cant ship something they have no inventory of. 

3.  I talked with Maxxis about this and they said they "subsidize" the shipping cost when you buy new tires so the shipping cost (was $60 for my 4 new tires this year) but they could not do that with the contingency since the tire was free.  This is also a mute point as Maxxis has reversed this policy.  I was refunded my previous invoice on a tire received in March.

4.  I would agree, but the fine print is published in the contingency rules and information so while you hope for something faster.  I am lucky that my set up I can usually get 2-3 weekends out of my set of tires if I properly rotate and pancake the tires.  

On 6/2/2022 at 8:36 AM, Magus2727 said:

2.  Maxxis is a direct distributor so not sure how their whole business model would work.  With out supply chain issues (which are the current issue still with tire manufactures) I have usually gotten my tires the week before the next event but would always have my fingers crossed.  When I cant even buy the tires new because they have no inventory I understand that they cant ship something they have no inventory of. 

But that's my point.  There isn't an issue buying new tires, only with contingency tires.  In my experience at least.  I ended up having to purchase an extra set of tires last year because my contingency tires didn't arrive in time for an event.   If I have to do that again this year, I'll purchase another brand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 7:07 PM, DarkGift said:

I ended up having to purchase an extra set of tires last year because my contingency tires didn't arrive in time for an event.   

Just to followup, my tires have arrived, so looks like Maxxis is stepping up.  Now if we can just pretty please get a shipping notice via email, that'd be awesome!