Nationals only 1 timed session or mutliple sessions??

Red Tornado

For now, it's one lap. This can change, but I'm going to wait and see exactly what the schedule is, and how much run time we have. Whatever happens, I want this to be a contest of driving ability on a dry track. So, it may stay "one lap" to try to ensure that it is.

Im good with this.

My plan, run a good hard lap on day 1. This gives me a full day to fix ANYTHING that breaks. Ill have everything except another chassis. Then go for broke (no pun) on day 3 if need be.

My thoughts mirror Monster's. Try to burn as good a lap as you can, as quickly as you can. That way your tires are as fresh as they'll be for the whole event, the car will be at its optimum and it leaves makeup room if you need it during the later days.

Plus, by day 3 the beer will have caught up with me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg G.

• Falcon

• GAC

• FocusTed

If any of you are concerned with "ringer" laps, then TT isn't the place for you. Consistency is a great thing to strive for, but that's not what TT is about.

I thought that TT was the bridge between HPDE and wheel to wheel racing. A stepping stone into the higher racing series.

It is, that's why TT is run similarly to race qualifying. You don't have to run three fastest laps to qualify on pole.

I just liked it when we did OTC.

Trust me I turned best time twice and lost in the total of 3 approach but it actually made it more fun.

We did that all in 1 day and 3 sessions.

Trust me I turned best time twice and lost in the total of 3 approach but it actually made it more fun.

I kinda of agree with you. Maybe it should be different in Nationals, because it is bigger. Both the Indy 500 and the Daytona have a different Qualifing format for those races. This shouldn't be just a big TT event... It should be a National Championship Event.

I don't what would be the best way, but maybe it should be different....maybe even harder. Remember this will be for a National Championship! It should be special.

I thought that TT was the bridge between HPDE and wheel to wheel racing. A stepping stone into the higher racing series.

TT is where you go when you dont quite have the funds to go wheel to wheel racing.

or, you just need to learn a partictular track.

I agree with Jason - TT is a stepping stone. Funds - no problem. I'm actually using TT to shake down my car, make adjustments, and prep it for AI.

I do have a word of warning for those that think they are going to bonzai lap at Mid-Ohio - Turn 7 at the bottom of the back straight is not very forgiving should you go off the end of the straight. In fact, if you drive straight off you will launch yourself airborn. If you are turned the least little bit when you go off, you will be upside down in the 100 yard deep gravel trap known as "China Beach".

• National Staff

Thanks for the tip Brian.

First TT National Championships Supplemental Rule:

1) There will be no vehicle backstroking at China Beach.

• Members
I do have a word of warning for those that think they are going to bonzai lap at Mid-Ohio - Turn 7 at the bottom of the back straight is not very forgiving should you go off the end of the straight. In fact, if you drive straight off you will launch yourself airborn. If you are turned the least little bit when you go off, you will be upside down in the 100 yard deep gravel trap known as "China Beach".

Greg, are ya listening?

• National Staff

Shawn, my car is setup for "airborne"--it's my new safety backup for when my brakes fail at 135 mph. Instead of canards, I have the "Speed Racer" pop-out special wings. It wouldn't dare try to do the backstroke on me.

The logic here makes no sense. If someone who has traveled 2,500 miles breaks down for one of the days, he has no shot. Similarly, if he has problems on the one dry day of the three, he has no shot either. Sorry, think of something else that takes the real world into account.

.... Instead of canards, I have the "Speed Racer" pop-out special wings. It wouldn't dare try to do the backstroke on me.

Hmmmm.... I didn't see that one on the list of mods! How many penalty points does that SpeedRacer special wing carry? At least a class bump up for sure!

• Members
Shawn, my car is setup for "airborne"--it's my new safety backup for when my brakes fail at 135 mph. Instead of canards, I have the "Speed Racer" pop-out special wings. It wouldn't dare try to do the backstroke on me.

Yes it would!

So far its done the "Roll me over, in the clover" and its done the "why'd ja leave me, loose wheel" and its done the " Your such a good driver, lets see how you handle turn 1 with no brakes, sucker".

Why wouldnt we think its not going to take advantage of a beach? I mean, come on Greg? China beach will have your umbrella in it before the weekend is over, my brutha!

The logic here makes no sense. If someone who has traveled 2,500 miles breaks down for one of the days, he has no shot. Similarly, if he has problems on the one dry day of the three, he has no shot either. Sorry, think of something else that takes the real world into account.

He's not saying we should actually do that... just commenting that the format is more fun. I agree, the OTC format was awesome. The real strategy was in pacing yourself and the hardware for the whole week - I wouldn't know because I broke the one year I tried to run it

My vote for Nationals is one best time out of three days.

He's not saying we should actually do that... just commenting that the format is more fun. I agree, the OTC format was awesome. The real strategy was in pacing yourself and the hardware for the whole week - I wouldn't know because I broke the one year I tried to run it

My vote for Nationals is one best time out of three days.

Well, in that case, I say, "glad you had fun," and no, this kind of fun shall not take place at Nationals.

If the choice is made to count the fastest lap of the 3-days, which, BTW, I vote for, doesn't preclude us from running all 3 days to continue an attempt to better that time. In fact, if we quit trying, we could very well be bested by someone who sandbagged the 1st 2 days and is keeping his/her ammo dry until the last lap of the last session. Kind of like throwing the killer bid in at the last second on an EBay auction. I know I'd feel like crap driving home knowing I got beat by a last minute flyer if I hadn't tried all the way to the end. So, I see this method as creating as much or more fun/drama/anxiety than any other.

If the choice is made to count the fastest lap of the 3-days, which, BTW, I vote for, doesn't preclude us from running all 3 days to continue an attempt to better that time. In fact, if we quit trying, we could very well be bested by someone who sandbagged the 1st 2 days and is keeping his/her ammo dry until the last lap of the last session. Kind of like throwing the killer bid in at the last second on an EBay auction. I know I'd feel like crap driving home knowing I got beat by a last minute flyer if I hadn't tried all the way to the end. So, I see this method as creating as much or more fun/drama/anxiety than any other.

Hear, hear!

What about the fastest 3 laps, no matter what day or session they fall on.

Ted, that's a better idea, though I'm not sure it makes the most sense. I'm not vehemently opposed to that, but it's sure going to make a lot of work for whoever is doing scoring. We're talking about going through like 80 laps worth of data for every competitor!

• National Staff

The Timing and Scoring computer isn't set up to do that. It will report out the second best lap time of each competitor in each session, but it would probably be difficult to get the current software to take the second best lap time and add it in to a mixed merge with best lap times. We will have too many competitors to spend the time working everything out by hand. So, we may be limited to using the best lap in any session as the starting point, although I'll check out the software next weekend and see what it can do in regard to this. Although, don't count on anything right now except the usual TT format, except put all three days together as one event (1 best lap= 1 winner).

Well, maybe just the fastest lap time works the best....because the more laps you put into the score, the more of a chance that people going into the final day might be out of the running.

Sounds like I'm talking my way out of what I posted before.... and I am

Well, maybe just the fastest lap time works the best....because the more laps you put into the scoring, the more of a chance that people going into the final day might be out of the running. It's much easier to gain .5 seconds in one lap, then gaining 1.5 seconds in 3 laps

If it sounds like I'm talking my way out of what I posted before.... and I am

Call me Crazy!!

Crazy Ted who runs with A/C and cuholders! Hey Ted, can we install Lincoln Air Ride suspension in your Spec Focus? And yes, I fully anticipate a retort that includes "sweet light". Knock yourself out!

• Members
Call me Crazy!!

Hey Crazy!!

And not because of your idea but, more for the fact you keep replying to yourself. Muey Loco!

Crazy Ted who runs with A/C and cuholders! Hey Ted, can we install Lincoln Air Ride suspension in your Spec Focus? And yes, I fully anticipate a retort that includes "sweet light". Knock yourself out!

Hey I fixed that problem with the A/C!!!! I took it out of the car.

• Members
Best 3 laps all week!!!

Hmm, that would require a certain amount of consistency blended with a scent of speed.... Sounds like a new Starbucks drink!